Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Penguins, put my mind at ease...

Penguins, put my mind at ease...

Toolman Tim

Hey, Linux users...

My Sony Vaio laptop defaults to a partition size of 15/15 on my 30gb drive.
I don't want it like that.

I have a Knoppix live CD, which contains qtparted. All indications are that
it can safely resize my partitions without damaging my Windows installation
on C:

Since it takes me about 6 or 7 hours to install, customize and have the
system "just right" I'd rather not do that again soon.

So, just how safe *IS* a repartition using qtparted?

--
Indecision is the key to flexibility.

Rob Burghdoff

Never trust programs like that. I say do whatever you can to backup your
stuff before you try anything.

Rob
http://www.techhowto.org

news:AA4Oe.8162$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey, Linux users...
>
> My Sony Vaio laptop defaults to a partition size of 15/15 on my 30gb
> drive. I don't want it like that.
>
> I have a Knoppix live CD, which contains qtparted. All indications are
> that it can safely resize my partitions without damaging my Windows
> installation on C:
>
> Since it takes me about 6 or 7 hours to install, customize and have the
> system "just right" I'd rather not do that again soon.
>
> So, just how safe *IS* a repartition using qtparted?
>
> --
> Indecision is the key to flexibility.

Toolman Tim

Oh - backups aren't an issue: those are done without fail. I was just hoping
someone had some experience with it (good or bad) that I could draw upon...

Rob Burghdoff wrote:
> Never trust programs like that. I say do whatever you can to backup
> your stuff before you try anything.
>

> Rob
> http://www.techhowto.org

> news:AA4Oe.8162$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hey, Linux users...
>>
>> My Sony Vaio laptop defaults to a partition size of 15/15 on my 30gb
>> drive. I don't want it like that.
>>
>> I have a Knoppix live CD, which contains qtparted. All indications
>> are that it can safely resize my partitions without damaging my
>> Windows installation on C:
>>
>> Since it takes me about 6 or 7 hours to install, customize and have
>> the system "just right" I'd rather not do that again soon.
>>
>> So, just how safe *IS* a repartition using qtparted?
>>
>> --
>> Indecision is the key to flexibility.

--
Indecision is the key to flexibility.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Toolman Tim wrote:
> Oh - backups aren't an issue: those are done without fail. I was just hoping
> someone had some experience with it (good or bad) that I could draw upon...

Don't have a recent version of Partition Magic available?

Walter Mautner

Toolman Tim wrote:

> Hey, Linux users...
>
> My Sony Vaio laptop defaults to a partition size of 15/15 on my 30gb
> drive. I don't want it like that.
>
> I have a Knoppix live CD, which contains qtparted. All indications are
> that it can safely resize my partitions without damaging my Windows
> installation on C:
>
> Since it takes me about 6 or 7 hours to install, customize and have the
> system "just right" I'd rather not do that again soon.
>
> So, just how safe *IS* a repartition using qtparted?

You rather want to read "man ntfsresize" and do that by hand, including the
backing up/resizing/recreating the partition table (fdisk). If you do it by
yourself, you get much more likely a figure what's happening behind the
szene, and may even be able to fix some errors.
To make it sure, defrag your windows beforehand. Afterwards, you can do
almost everything you want regarding windows partitions with XP drive
management, which might also include freeing some "unpartitioned" space for
another OS.
Other operating systems install best if you leave the partitioning of their
own space to their own installer.
Btw., with knoppix you can open a terminal and "sudo su" and you are root.
*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Toolman Tim

Rgr wrote:
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>> Oh - backups aren't an issue: those are done without fail. I was
>> just hoping someone had some experience with it (good or bad) that I
>> could draw upon...

> Don't have a recent version of Partition Magic available?

Nope - my brother does, but I already have the Knoppix CD.

I did my backup, I did my defrag, I resized the partitions, and all is well.
Although XP *did* force a chkdsk after I made the change. It probably
noticed a size change that wasn't accounted for in the file system.

--

Toolman Tim wrote:
> Rgr wrote:
>
>>Toolman Tim wrote:
>>
>>>Oh - backups aren't an issue: those are done without fail. I was
>>>just hoping someone had some experience with it (good or bad) that I
>>>could draw upon...

>>Don't have a recent version of Partition Magic available?

> Nope - my brother does, but I already have the Knoppix CD.
>
> I did my backup, I did my defrag, I resized the partitions, and all is well.
> Although XP *did* force a chkdsk after I made the change. It probably
> noticed a size change that wasn't accounted for in the file system.

All swells that ends well.

Toolman Tim

Rgr wrote:
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>> Rgr wrote:

>>> Don't have a recent version of Partition Magic available?

>> Nope - my brother does, but I already have the Knoppix CD.
>>
>> I did my backup, I did my defrag, I resized the partitions, and all
>> is well. Although XP *did* force a chkdsk after I made the change.
>> It probably noticed a size change that wasn't accounted for in the
>> file system.

> All swells that ends well.

<g> I'm pleased - things are running very nicely now. (It helped to add more
RAM as well.) I thought about pulling out the 30Gb drive and putting my
spare 40Gb in, but decided to get a USB 2.0 enclosure for it.

I bought this Vaio for $150, and spent $195 to fix the LCD display. I
thought I came out ahead, until I found out the battery is lousy. So when I
sell the old Dell, I'll have to buy a new battery.

--
Indecision is the key to flexibility.

why does the following with Queue, q.put('\x02', True) not put itin the queue? Gabriel Rossetti Python 3 04-25-2008 03:41 PM
Never Mind - problem solved Paul Firefox 1 12-03-2005 12:12 AM
Help with persisiting data - going out of my mind Lloyd Sheen ASP .Net 8 11-19-2003 08:17 PM
MCSE is a state of mind Kevin Liu MCSE 3 07-31-2003 11:34 PM
MCSE is a state of mind Kevin Liu MCSE 2 07-31-2003 10:59 PM

Advertisments