Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WinXP Explorer & Search Program

WinXP Explorer & Search Program

Extracoconut

Hi people

Just started to have a very annoying "thing" happening on my computer...hope
you smart people can help.

It all starts when I use the "Search" prog to find files on the hard drive.

It works, but when I try to close the Search prog it just hangs there and I
have to End Task it...then about 5 seconds later Windows Explorer will
close.
And, if I go into Task Manager, explorer.exe is still there and it won't go
away no matter how many times I try to close it.

So, I have to "open" a new explorer.exe.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Whys isn't "Search" closing properly and why when I "end task" it, does it
completely cock up Explorer?

Look forward to any help you can give.

Virus checked okay...

Chris

Rob Burghdoff

Try closing all the programs you have running before searching. Then try;
start
run
sfc /scannow

let your machine scan for any broken system files and repair them.

Good Luck.
Rob
http://www.techhowto.org

"Extracoconut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LeGNe.87507$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Hi people
>
> Just started to have a very annoying "thing" happening on my
> computer...hope
> you smart people can help.
>
> It all starts when I use the "Search" prog to find files on the hard
> drive.
>
> It works, but when I try to close the Search prog it just hangs there and
> have to End Task it...then about 5 seconds later Windows Explorer will
> close.
> And, if I go into Task Manager, explorer.exe is still there and it won't
> go
> away no matter how many times I try to close it.
>
> So, I have to "open" a new explorer.exe.
>
> Any ideas why this is happening?
>
> Whys isn't "Search" closing properly and why when I "end task" it, does it
> completely cock up Explorer?
>
> Look forward to any help you can give.
>
> Virus checked okay...
>
> Chris

Extracoconut

Thanks for the help, but didn't work.

It seems (because it happened once) that it only causes problems when the
search gets to stop, because I did manage to successfully close the search
program mid-search.

Forgot to mention also that the computer, when it goes through this, won't
shut down. I have to power off to close the machine!

Chris

news:(E-Mail Removed)...