Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > newsgroup questions

newsgroup questions

lanna1629

how come, i can only get one days worth of downloads, do I have a max, its
only 43, it used to be more.
and how come, when I "get nex 300", there are more available, but they do
not download? is this my ISP problem or mine?

And how come some posts are missing, ie, my friend has posts on same
newsgroup, that do no show up on mine?

thanks, Lanna

trout

lanna1629 wrote:

> how come, i can only get one days worth of downloads, do I have a
> max, its only 43, it used to be more.
> and how come, when I "get nex 300", there are more available, but
> they do not download? is this my ISP problem or mine?
>
> And how come some posts are missing, ie, my friend has posts on same
> newsgroup, that do no show up on mine?
>
> thanks, Lanna

Newsgroups may propagate differently, on different news servers.
Does your friend use the same one as you?
But chances are, it's an OE problem. So you do regular maintenance
on your OE folders?
It's possible that the newsgroup folder has been corrupted. You
could try to unsubscribe, and then resubscribe; or, reset the group. To
do this, right-click the newsgroup folder (on the folder list), select
Properties, Local File, and Reset.
--
A couple of possibilities.

lanna1629

thanks for the ideas, I just reset, and that did show more, and you
mentioned regular maintenance on mail folders,
can you explain this more? Thanks for your help . lanna

trout

lanna1629 wrote:

> thanks for the ideas, I just reset, and that did show more, and you
> mentioned regular maintenance on mail folders,
> can you explain this more? Thanks for your help . lanna

You should do this yourself on a fairly regular basis. The default
in OE is to have these tasks automated- see Tools; Options; Maintenance
tab. You should not allow "compact messages in background", as this is
one of the most frequent reasons for file corruption in OE.
Basically, you should just delete old messages (or move them to a
different folder, if one (like your Inbox) is getting too full. You can
create new folders to organize what you're going to keep. And regularly
compact your folders to regain wasted space, and speed the program up.
Have a wander around this site for all sorts of good tips and
information:
http://www.insideoe.tomsterdam.com/
--
Lots of good stuff.

Blinky the Shark

lanna1629 wrote:

> thanks for the ideas, I just reset, and that did show more, and you
> mentioned regular maintenance on mail folders,
> can you explain this more? Thanks for your help . lanna

Who are you talking to? What did they say?

Learn to quote and attribute:

http://home.online.no/~shughes/a57998/quote.html#001a

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263