Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Copernic Desktop Search (CDS): Finding files by file name pattern (Windows XP)?

Copernic Desktop Search (CDS): Finding files by file name pattern (Windows XP)?

Caveman

How do I use CDS to find files by partial file name? For example, all
*.DOC files without also finding DOCUMENT.TXT -- or all files with an
underscore in their name, such as *_*.SQL or VW_*.SQL? Any relevant
help would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Caveman

John Breckenridge

I have both, but I mostly use Google now. I was very happy with
Copernic until Google put it's search engine into overdrive.

And so it goes.

why?

On 17 Aug 2005 20:21:42 -0700, Caveman wrote:

I wonder if this is one of those months, that mean don't check the cds
help?

>How do I use CDS to find files by partial file name? For example, all

Use the option to search filenames? It's in the helpfile.

>*.DOC files without also finding DOCUMENT.TXT -- or all files with an

..DOC is one of the choices, in Show Options , FileType choice.

>underscore in their name, such as *_*.SQL or VW_*.SQL? Any relevant
>help would be much appreciated!

Suggestions for improvements, fling in the direction of -
http://www.copernic.com/en/support/index.html
http://www.copernic.com/en/contact/index.html

Me

Caveman

Hi why?,

Using the .DOC option was a poor choice -- indeed it is in File Types,
though it also, strangely, shows files named Repository (no
extension!). From your response I presume that, however, that othe
examples I quoted *_*.SQL or VW_*.SQL are not available for search?

Thanks,
Caveman.

why?

On 18 Aug 2005 16:47:08 -0700, Caveman wrote:

>Hi why?,
>
>Using the .DOC option was a poor choice -- indeed it is in File Types,

If I use The Word Document (*.DOC) in the File Type drop down it works
fine, it only displays *.DOC files in the matching files window.

You can also setup advanced options file extensions and select file name
only, this way it doesn't index the contents , which I quite like and
use it a lot.

The search operator to specify part of a filename is been useful
sometimes.

>though it also, strangely, shows files named Repository (no

Are you entering .DOC in the 'Search For' box? That searches for
contents of any filter in the Refine Search box.

>extension!). From your response I presume that, however, that othe

Why presume?

>examples I quoted *_*.SQL or VW_*.SQL are not available for search?

I don't have any files with names / extensions like that, try the Help
file if you want to search for a filename containing a word, read the
bit about 'search operators', between speifying an option in Search For
/ Refine Search it's done what I wanted so far.

If you try the correct search operator, and have setup a file extension
/ indexing type you may get on better.

>Thanks,
>Caveman.

Me