Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Scientific calculator recommendation?

Scientific calculator recommendation?

Jim Hollinger

My son is a sophomore in high school who needs a scientific calculator for
his advanced placement chemistry class. Any recommendations? TIA

Harrison

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:42:51 -0500, Jim Hollinger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My son is a sophomore in high school who needs a scientific calculator for
>his advanced placement chemistry class. Any recommendations? TIA

Get whatever the teacher recommends.

Jim Hollinger

Harrison <Harrison> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Get whatever the teacher recommends.

I don't have that information. He is 500 miles away, and I currently have
limited communication with him due to issues with his mom. The information
I gave in my previous post, I got from his grandmother, and it is all the
info I currently have. I need to get him a calculator today. Any help
would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike Easter

Jim Hollinger wrote:
> My son is a sophomore in high school who needs a scientific
> calculator for his advanced placement chemistry class. Any
> recommendations?

I would think any advanced placement chemistry testing and placement
processes would have rules and guidelines about what nature of
scientific calculator was permissible and recommended and what was not.

The common 'parlance' of 'advanced placement' is typically a process by
which pre-testing results in a 'bypassing' of some lower course
structure -- often seen when HS students bypass some entry level general
college courses. Sometimes such bypassing is advantageous and sometimes
it is not, but can be counterproductive.

What is the purpose of the/your 'advanced placement chemistry class' for
a HS sophomore? Generally college level chemistry courses for science
degree oriented students who might be involved with a 'structure' of
years of chemistry courses with pre-requisite layers for the more
advanced courses are not particularly well served by some kind of
advanced placement credit for the first level general chemistry course
for non-science majors.

--
Mike Easter

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Jim Hollinger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>My son is a sophomore in high school who needs a scientific calculator for
|>his advanced placement chemistry class. Any recommendations? TIA

I'm partial to the TI-85 http://tinyurl.com/bc6e7, there's lots of
support for it http://www.ticalc.org/pub/85/

I used it in my electronics courses, created my own programs to do the
math It runs on the Z80 and easily hackable
http://www.sealiesoftware.com/ti-asm/

I still use my Ti-85, - I take it shopping with me, I program'd in a
shopping program and with scanner registers, you know exactly what
your going to be paying before checking out.

Ya I'd go with the Ti-86 the Ti-85's replacement
http://education.ti.com/us/product/t.../features.html
--

Elegant Universe from NOVA
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

Mike Easter

Jim Hollinger wrote:

> I don't have that information. He is 500 miles away, and I currently
> have limited communication with him due to issues with his mom.

I think that improving your communication with him would be an even
better idea than buying some kind of 'scientific calculator' the nature
of which you don't even know what he wants or needs.

More likely there is another different kind disconnect between what he
might use for homework for a chemistry class vs what he might use for
advanced placement testing than this other kind of disconnect we are
seeing here.

--
Mike Easter

joevan

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:46:13 -0700, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Jim Hollinger wrote:
>
>> I don't have that information. He is 500 miles away, and I currently
>> have limited communication with him due to issues with his mom.

>I think that improving your communication with him would be an even
>better idea than buying some kind of 'scientific calculator' the nature
>of which you don't even know what he wants or needs.
>
>More likely there is another different kind disconnect between what he
>might use for homework for a chemistry class vs what he might use for
>advanced placement testing than this other kind of disconnect we are
>seeing here.

I still have my HP 35, first hand held scientific. Use it often. I
stopped buying battery packs for it after the first couple and just
use the ac adapter. It was 400 bucks when they first came out. I think
I paid about 200 for mine. Soon after that Texas Instruments came out
with one for like 20 buck or so. Not sure about the figures but it was
back around 76 or so plus or take a year or two.

and for the same reason."

Stickems.

If you are in the UK you can buy one for Ł1 at the Pound Shop.

"Jim Hollinger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| My son is a sophomore in high school who needs a scientific calculator for
| his advanced placement chemistry class. Any recommendations? TIA

why?

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:04:53 GMT, joevan wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:46:13 -0700, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Jim Hollinger wrote:
>>
>>> I don't have that information. He is 500 miles away, and I currently
>>> have limited communication with him due to issues with his mom.

>>I think that improving your communication with him would be an even
>>better idea than buying some kind of 'scientific calculator' the nature
>>of which you don't even know what he wants or needs.
>>
>>More likely there is another different kind disconnect between what he
>>might use for homework for a chemistry class vs what he might use for
>>advanced placement testing than this other kind of disconnect we are
>>seeing here.

>I still have my HP 35, first hand held scientific. Use it often. I

My HP41CV is a bit past it now, but the HP48GX is going great. I just
love the big screen and the symbolic integration , graph interrogation
it does, all the electronic and mechanical equation solving. It must be
about 16 years old, I wonder what the new models are like.

Only problem was it was difficult to use in any kind of exam it's so
jammed pack with features, then the el cheapo calculator was used.

<snip>

Me

Mike Easter

why? wrote:
> Only problem was it was difficult to use in any kind of exam it's so
> jammed pack with features, then the el cheapo calculator was used.

Many/Most tests are designed so that calculator usage would be
'inappropriate' -- so as to not give one person with better calculator
muscle an advantage over another. The actual calculations are taken out
of the testing process and calculators aren't to be used. The multiple
choice answer would more likely be in the form of an equation or
mathematical or scientific expression or formula.

--
Mike Easter

scientific calculator zhucktoppy@yahoo.com Java 3 04-11-2006 08:19 PM
Scientific calculator a MCSA 22 05-09-2005 07:43 PM
OT: Monday scientific awesomeness Ken Briscoe MCSE 4 12-08-2004 09:30 PM
How to Stop Long Numeric to Scientific Conversion if Transfering data from DataGrid to Excel. RSB ASP .Net 1 11-11-2004 12:58 AM
URGENT Help With Scientific Calculator! Maria Laura Re Java 4 12-14-2003 05:59 AM

Advertisments