Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Gravity (theory)

Gravity (theory)

philo

Even though I may be a hopeless nutcase...I had a serious idea about a
year ago...so I thought I'd toss it out here.

It concerns gravity and the elusive search for the "graviton".

I always figured it was some type of really *dumb* idea.

Then it occured to me what gravity really is:

We are *not* pulled toward massive objects...
we are *pushed* !

If I jump up into the air...
the earth does not pull me toward it...
merely the billions of particles traveling thru the universe
(most of which we have not even detected) merely *push* me back toward
the earth.

Since the particles travel uniformly in all directions...
were one out in space far away from any massive object...
the net force would be zero...

But near the surface of the earth... the huge mass of the earth would
block those *pushing* from the other side...and thus my body would be
pushed
back to the earth.

Think about it...

BTW: when the genious awards are passed out...
I want to receive full credit...so will now sign off using my full
pseudonym.

Philo T. Ogden

Maybe

philo wrote:
> Even though I may be a hopeless nutcase...I had a serious idea about a
> year ago...so I thought I'd toss it out here.
>
> It concerns gravity and the elusive search for the "graviton".
>
> I always figured it was some type of really *dumb* idea.
>
> Then it occured to me what gravity really is:
>
> We are *not* pulled toward massive objects...
> we are *pushed* !
>
> If I jump up into the air...
> the earth does not pull me toward it...
> merely the billions of particles traveling thru the universe
> (most of which we have not even detected) merely *push* me back toward
> the earth.
>
> Since the particles travel uniformly in all directions...
> were one out in space far away from any massive object...
> the net force would be zero...
>
> But near the surface of the earth... the huge mass of the earth would
> block those *pushing* from the other side...and thus my body would be
> pushed
> back to the earth.
>
> Think about it...
>
> BTW: when the genious awards are passed out...
> I want to receive full credit...so will now sign off using my full
> pseudonym.
>

> Philo T. Ogden

You're absolutely correct! I.e.,you're *absolutely* a hopeless nutcase.

philo

<snip>

> You're absolutely correct! I.e.,you're *absolutely* a hopeless nutcase.

yeah...that's what i was afraid of

philo

aleX wrote:
> philo wrote:
>
>> Even though I may be a hopeless nutcase...I had a serious idea about a
>> year ago...so I thought I'd toss it out here.
>>
>> It concerns gravity and the elusive search for the "graviton".
>>
>> I always figured it was some type of really *dumb* idea.
>>
>> Then it occured to me what gravity really is:
>>
>> We are *not* pulled toward massive objects...
>> we are *pushed* !
>>
>> If I jump up into the air...
>> the earth does not pull me toward it...
>> merely the billions of particles traveling thru the universe
>> (most of which we have not even detected) merely *push* me back toward
>> the earth.
>>
>> Since the particles travel uniformly in all directions...
>> were one out in space far away from any massive object...
>> the net force would be zero...
>>
>> But near the surface of the earth... the huge mass of the earth would
>> block those *pushing* from the other side...and thus my body would be
>> pushed
>> back to the earth.
>>
>> Think about it...
>>
>> BTW: when the genious awards are passed out...
>> I want to receive full credit...so will now sign off using my full
>> pseudonym.
>>

>> Philo T. Ogden

> Interesting (a lovely ambiguous word that!)
>
> Reminds me of the theory that I read about where if you could build a
> big enough telescope you could look back at the earth and see its past
> history.

<snip>

aah...glad to see there are other "nutty" folks out there

btw: my signature above is my *real* pseudonym...(it's not one of those
fake ones)

aleX

philo wrote:
> Even though I may be a hopeless nutcase...I had a serious idea about a
> year ago...so I thought I'd toss it out here.
>
> It concerns gravity and the elusive search for the "graviton".
>
> I always figured it was some type of really *dumb* idea.
>
> Then it occured to me what gravity really is:
>
> We are *not* pulled toward massive objects...
> we are *pushed* !
>
> If I jump up into the air...
> the earth does not pull me toward it...
> merely the billions of particles traveling thru the universe
> (most of which we have not even detected) merely *push* me back toward
> the earth.
>
> Since the particles travel uniformly in all directions...
> were one out in space far away from any massive object...
> the net force would be zero...
>
> But near the surface of the earth... the huge mass of the earth would
> block those *pushing* from the other side...and thus my body would be
> pushed
> back to the earth.
>
> Think about it...
>
> BTW: when the genious awards are passed out...
> I want to receive full credit...so will now sign off using my full
> pseudonym.
>

> Philo T. Ogden

Interesting (a lovely ambiguous word that!)

Reminds me of the theory that I read about where if you could build a
big enough telescope you could look back at the earth and see its past
history.

Photons hit the earth and are reflected back into space, some of which
are deflected on their paths when affected by the gravitation of other
planets/stars. If they are subsequently deflected enough times then
eventually they may start heading back to earth. That's when you need
your big telescope. Capture the photons, do a bit of supercomputer image
analysis and voila! Similar theory using a radio telescope.

Someone will spoil it now by saying you need a telescope the size of the
milky way galaxy. Not my theory by the way, but interesting. There may
be hope yet for recovering those lost Dr Who episodes!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

philo wrote:
> Even though I may be a hopeless nutcase...I had a serious idea about a
> year ago...so I thought I'd toss it out here.
>
> It concerns gravity and the elusive search for the "graviton".
>
> I always figured it was some type of really *dumb* idea.
>
> Then it occured to me what gravity really is:
>
> We are *not* pulled toward massive objects...
> we are *pushed* !
>
> If I jump up into the air...
> the earth does not pull me toward it...
> merely the billions of particles traveling thru the universe
> (most of which we have not even detected) merely *push* me back toward
> the earth.
>
> Since the particles travel uniformly in all directions...
> were one out in space far away from any massive object...
> the net force would be zero...
>
> But near the surface of the earth... the huge mass of the earth would
> block those *pushing* from the other side...and thus my body would be
> pushed
> back to the earth.
>
> Think about it...
>
> BTW: when the genious awards are passed out...
> I want to receive full credit...so will now sign off using my full
> pseudonym.
>

> Philo T. Ogden

Not bad. Just get a jar and fill it with gravitons and submit them to
the American Scientist people. Maybe you can explain another one for me.
Light appears to be traveling at 186,000 miles per second. That's
regardless of how fast you are traveling, relative your observance,
light still appears to be traveling at 186,000 miles per second. What if
I were traveling at 185,000 miles per second? According to scientists,
it would still appear to be traveling at the same speed. But if I'm
traveling at 185,000 miles per second and light appears to be 186,000
miles per second, wouldn't it be breaking one of the basic tenets that
nothing can travel faster than the speed of light?

Old Gringo

philo wrote:
> Even though I may be a hopeless nutcase...I had a serious idea about a
> year ago...so I thought I'd toss it out here.
>
> It concerns gravity and the elusive search for the "graviton".
>
> I always figured it was some type of really *dumb* idea.
>
> Then it occured to me what gravity really is:
>
> We are *not* pulled toward massive objects...
> we are *pushed* !
>
> If I jump up into the air...
> the earth does not pull me toward it...
> merely the billions of particles traveling thru the universe
> (most of which we have not even detected) merely *push* me back toward
> the earth.
>
> Since the particles travel uniformly in all directions...
> were one out in space far away from any massive object...
> the net force would be zero...
>
> But near the surface of the earth... the huge mass of the earth would
> block those *pushing* from the other side...and thus my body would be
> pushed
> back to the earth.
>
> Think about it...
>
> BTW: when the genious awards are passed out...
> I want to receive full credit...so will now sign off using my full
> pseudonym.
>

> Philo T. Ogden

The first guy got hit in the head with an apple, and you??

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life

philo

Rgr wrote:
> philo wrote:
>
>> Even though I may be a hopeless nutcase...I had a serious idea about a
>> year ago...so I thought I'd toss it out here.
>>
>> It concerns gravity and the elusive search for the "graviton".
>>
>> I always figured it was some type of really *dumb* idea.
>>
>> Then it occured to me what gravity really is:
>>
>> We are *not* pulled toward massive objects...
>> we are *pushed* !
>>
>> If I jump up into the air...
>> the earth does not pull me toward it...
>> merely the billions of particles traveling thru the universe
>> (most of which we have not even detected) merely *push* me back toward
>> the earth.
>>
>> Since the particles travel uniformly in all directions...
>> were one out in space far away from any massive object...
>> the net force would be zero...
>>
>> But near the surface of the earth... the huge mass of the earth would
>> block those *pushing* from the other side...and thus my body would be
>> pushed
>> back to the earth.
>>
>> Think about it...
>>
>> BTW: when the genious awards are passed out...
>> I want to receive full credit...so will now sign off using my full
>> pseudonym.
>>

>> Philo T. Ogden

> Not bad. Just get a jar and fill it with gravitons and submit them to
> the American Scientist people. Maybe you can explain another one for me.
> Light appears to be traveling at 186,000 miles per second. That's
> regardless of how fast you are traveling, relative your observance,
> light still appears to be traveling at 186,000 miles per second. What if
> I were traveling at 185,000 miles per second? According to scientists,
> it would still appear to be traveling at the same speed. But if I'm
> traveling at 185,000 miles per second and light appears to be 186,000
> miles per second, wouldn't it be breaking one of the basic tenets that
> nothing can travel faster than the speed of light?

yes...
that never seemed too clear to me either.
i know einstein is wrong...
in that all theories are at a later time "improved"
but it's not going to be me who discovers where he was wrong!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

aleX wrote:
> philo wrote:
>
>> Even though I may be a hopeless nutcase...I had a serious idea about a
>> year ago...so I thought I'd toss it out here.
>>
>> It concerns gravity and the elusive search for the "graviton".
>>
>> I always figured it was some type of really *dumb* idea.
>>
>> Then it occured to me what gravity really is:
>>
>> We are *not* pulled toward massive objects...
>> we are *pushed* !
>>
>> If I jump up into the air...
>> the earth does not pull me toward it...
>> merely the billions of particles traveling thru the universe
>> (most of which we have not even detected) merely *push* me back toward
>> the earth.
>>
>> Since the particles travel uniformly in all directions...
>> were one out in space far away from any massive object...
>> the net force would be zero...
>>
>> But near the surface of the earth... the huge mass of the earth would
>> block those *pushing* from the other side...and thus my body would be
>> pushed
>> back to the earth.
>>
>> Think about it...
>>
>> BTW: when the genious awards are passed out...
>> I want to receive full credit...so will now sign off using my full
>> pseudonym.
>>

>> Philo T. Ogden

> Interesting (a lovely ambiguous word that!)
>
> Reminds me of the theory that I read about where if you could build a
> big enough telescope you could look back at the earth and see its past
> history.
>
> Photons hit the earth and are reflected back into space, some of which
> are deflected on their paths when affected by the gravitation of other
> planets/stars. If they are subsequently deflected enough times then
> eventually they may start heading back to earth. That's when you need
> your big telescope. Capture the photons, do a bit of supercomputer image
> analysis and voila! Similar theory using a radio telescope.
>
> Someone will spoil it now by saying you need a telescope the size of the
> milky way galaxy. Not my theory by the way, but interesting. There may
> be hope yet for recovering those lost Dr Who episodes!

Pff, Hollywood have been able to do it for years.

D@Z

if you were to build a ship that could travel the speed of light what would
happen if you turned the headlights on???

news:6wKLe.86$(E-Mail Removed)...