Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Media Player no longer plays AVIs

Windows Media Player no longer plays AVIs

EP

My windows media player (most uptodate version) has stopped playing avi files.

mpg mpegs, wmv & mp3 play just fine

but when I open an avi

at the bottom of the screen it says "sending a request for codec"
then "error downloading codec"
( I'm online by the way )

then it plays like an mp3, audio only no picture.

The only major recent thing I've done is install Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6.

I have WinXP by the way.

Any ideas.

EP.

EP

Doh!

Just openned Real player and did some kind of registering, then some codec
downloading, then found I had a new DIVX player, then found my Windows
Media Player now players AVIs again.

Don't know why it now works, but I'm not complaining

EP.

"EP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My windows media player (most uptodate version) has stopped playing avi files.
>
>mpg mpegs, wmv & mp3 play just fine
>
>but when I open an avi
>
>at the bottom of the screen it says "sending a request for codec"
>then "error downloading codec"
>( I'm online by the way )
>
>then it plays like an mp3, audio only no picture.
>
>The only major recent thing I've done is install Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6.
>
>I have WinXP by the way.
>
>Any ideas.
>
>EP.

Miles Ahead

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:15:46 +0100, "EP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Any ideas.

Download AviCodec freeware and drop the .avi file on it.
It will tell you what codecs it uses. If you don't have them
on your system, go to www.free-codecs.com and download
'em.