Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > thunderbird and one's own messages.

thunderbird and one's own messages.

anthonyberet

In OE, I used to have filter set so that my own Usenet posts would
appear in red. - is this possible in Thunderbird? - I am sure I did it a
while ago, but now can't find a filter option to colour messages.
- Or is there another way?

What's in a Name?

anthonyberet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In OE, I used to have filter set so that my own Usenet posts would
> appear in red. - is this possible in Thunderbird? - I am sure I
> did it a while ago, but now can't find a filter option to colour
> messages. - Or is there another way?

I don't know about a filter option but color can be applied using
message/label
-max
--
Making Good Posts: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
My Pages: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/

What's in a Name?

"What's in a Name?" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns96B1CBF6CF44Cmaxpro4unomailafraid@204.153. 244.170:

> anthonyberet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> In OE, I used to have filter set so that my own Usenet posts would
>> appear in red. - is this possible in Thunderbird? - I am sure I
>> did it a while ago, but now can't find a filter option to colour
>> messages. - Or is there another way?
>>

> I don't know about a filter option but color can be applied using
> message/label
> -max

you can use message filters to label also.
tools/message filters
-max
--
Making Good Posts: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
My Pages: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
Registered Linux User #393236

Blinky the Shark

anthonyberet wrote:
> In OE, I used to have filter set so that my own Usenet posts would
> appear in red. - is this possible in Thunderbird? - I am sure I did it a
> while ago, but now can't find a filter option to colour messages.
> - Or is there another way?

I see this request frequently. I've never figured out why people want
to highlight their own posts, given that they've already read them and
no further action is necessary. Is this something people ask for
because they don't know enough to ask how to highlight *replies* to
their posts?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

trout

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> anthonyberet wrote:
>> In OE, I used to have filter set so that my own Usenet posts would
>> appear in red. - is this possible in Thunderbird? - I am sure I did
>> it a while ago, but now can't find a filter option to colour
>> messages. - Or is there another way?

> I see this request frequently. I've never figured out why people want
> to highlight their own posts, given that they've already read them and
> no further action is necessary. Is this something people ask for
> because they don't know enough to ask how to highlight *replies* to
> their posts?

No. I highlight my own posts (as well as colour-code other posters
that I frequently read). I do this (my own) to help keep track of long
threads, in which I've made multiple posts, or have posted somewhere in
the depths.
It's a small, simple convenience.
--
It's a good thing to have gills, when constantly dripping in sarcasm.

WormWood

"Blinky the Shark" wrote:
> anthonyberet wrote:
>> In OE, I used to have filter set so that my own Usenet posts would
>> appear in red. - is this possible in Thunderbird? - I am sure I did
>> it a
>> while ago, but now can't find a filter option to colour messages.
>> - Or is there another way?

> I see this request frequently. I've never figured out why people want
> to highlight their own posts, given that they've already read them and
> no further action is necessary. Is this something people ask for
> because they don't know enough to ask how to highlight *replies* to
> their posts?

I frequently highlight (in red ) my own posts, not to re-read my own
posts but rather to easily find any answers to those posts. The method I
use in OE highlights only my own posts within the threads and not
others'. I'm working on changing to Firebird.
--
So nyah nyah nyah!! :0)

Blinky the Shark

WormWood wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" wrote:
> > anthonyberet wrote:
>>> In OE, I used to have filter set so that my own Usenet posts would
>>> appear in red. - is this possible in Thunderbird? - I am sure I did
>>> it a
>>> while ago, but now can't find a filter option to colour messages.
>>> - Or is there another way?

>> I see this request frequently. I've never figured out why people want
>> to highlight their own posts, given that they've already read them and
>> no further action is necessary. Is this something people ask for
>> because they don't know enough to ask how to highlight *replies* to
>> their posts?
>>

> I frequently highlight (in red ) my own posts, not to re-read my own
> posts but rather to easily find any answers to those posts. The method I
> use in OE highlights only my own posts within the threads and not
> others'. I'm working on changing to Firebird.

Yeah -- that's what I was talking about. Hightlighting your own posts
when it's really the replies you want to see. Both back in the Win
days and now herein Linux, I highlight the *responses*, which is the
actual object. As for Firebird, I suspect you mean Thunderbird; and
good luck -- it doesn't even have scoring. I don't know how it is for
email, but it's not ready for prime time as a news client.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

WormWood

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> WormWood wrote:

>>> I see this request frequently. I've never figured out why people
>>> want
>>> to highlight their own posts, given that they've already read them
>>> and
>>> no further action is necessary. Is this something people ask for
>>> because they don't know enough to ask how to highlight *replies* to
>>> their posts?
>>>

>> I frequently highlight (in red ) my own posts, not to re-read my own
>> posts but rather to easily find any answers to those posts. The
>> method I
>> use in OE highlights only my own posts within the threads and not
>> others'. I'm working on changing to Firebird.

> Yeah -- that's what I was talking about. Hightlighting your own posts
> when it's really the replies you want to see. Both back in the Win
> days and now herein Linux, I highlight the *responses*, which is the
> actual object. As for Firebird, I suspect you mean Thunderbird; and
> good luck -- it doesn't even have scoring. I don't know how it is for
> email, but it's not ready for prime time as a news client.

Highlighting only yours vs. all the answering posts saves having to
suffer through mucho red **** on yer screen.

Yes, wrong car.
I'll try to survive withoit scoring until they catch up. I get maybe one
piece of spam email per week, thanks to my isp's superior filtering.

Gordon

WormWood wrote:

> I frequently highlight (in red ) my own posts, not to re-read my own
> posts but rather to easily find any answers to those posts. The method I
> use in OE highlights only my own posts within the threads and not
> others'. I'm working on changing to Firebird.

Why not just use View-Current View-Show Replies to My posts?

Doh!
--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Kubuntu 5.04 and Open Office 2.0

Gordon

anthonyberet wrote:

> In OE, I used to have filter set so that my own Usenet posts would
> appear in red. - is this possible in Thunderbird? - I am sure I did it a
> while ago, but now can't find a filter option to colour messages.
> - Or is there another way?

You can set up a filter so that any thread you post to gets watched. Then
just go to View-Threads-Watched Threads with Unread. Easy.