Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > VoIP router

VoIP router

Nick

I have used a small network around my house for some time,
the internet modem feeds a Linksys Cable/DSL router.
This is connected to the main PC directly from the router. I
then have two hubs connected to the other ports which in turn
feed various other computers, a wireless access point and a
print server. All works well and I don't wish to change the setup.
However, I also want to use a VoIP adaptor and this is where
the problems start.
The VoIP device is also a router, this works fine when it is the
first device after the cable modem. If the Ethernet output is
connected to the Linksys router I can't use the network.
I did manage to connect the VoIP router to one of the hubs and
was able to use both of he telephone lines. But this failed after
about day and has never worked since?

I assume that this problem is down to IP addresses, DHCP servers
and other associated parameters, this is not my strongest point of
understanding.

The original setup used the IP address range 192.168.1.# with the
router being 192.168.1.0 The VoIP router has a default IP address
of 192.168.61.1 Changing this to match the other setting results in
me not being able to communicate with the device, I assume that
giving it an IP address rather than the DCHP on the Linksys is the
problem?

Can somebody who breaths and talks IP explain in an easy to
understand format how to overcome the problems and allow me to
use my network and VoIP device. Ideally, if possible, I want the
VoIP device connected to one of the hubs.

Cheers,

Nick.

why?

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:44:31 GMT, Nick wrote:

>I have used a small network around my house for some time,
>the internet modem feeds a Linksys Cable/DSL router.
>This is connected to the main PC directly from the router. I

<snip>

Have you noticed how many times you haven't had an answer to your post?

Subject: Network advice.
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:56:28 GMT

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:19:23 GMT

Subject: VoIP router
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:44:31 GMT

Does changing the subject help?

Me

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:44:31 GMT, Nick wrote:
>
>>I have used a small network around my house for some time,
>>the internet modem feeds a Linksys Cable/DSL router.
>>This is connected to the main PC directly from the router. I

> <snip>
>
> Have you noticed how many times you haven't had an answer to your post?

I did! <g>