Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New Dell desktop-Help!!!!

New Dell desktop-Help!!!!

joevan

I just last week got a new Dell 2.4 gig desktop with xp home for my
daughter.
It worked fine for a few days. I left it on all last evening and this
afternoon it would not boot. At first the monitor would not come on.
After shutting down and restarting the monitor came on but all I can
get is hit f1. The stupid thing does not have a floppy drive and there
is no disk with it.
I can't get to the option to start in safe mode. F12 takes me to 6
options non of which offer that.
Where to go from here. I read somewhere that Dell may have used some
bad disks and that is my next step, to call them. Just thought I could
save a bit of time here.

and for the same reason."

cygnian@despammed.com

If you got it "new", there should be a disc included....or did you get
it "new" from someone else besides DELL?

joevan

On 12 Aug 2005 12:59:33 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>If you got it "new", there should be a disc included....or did you get
>it "new" from someone else besides DELL?

Thanks but,--
Got through to Dell. Seems the HD is bad. Sending a guy with a new
one. They are also sending me disks for it. My daughter will be happy.
I told them I could replace it but they should replace the drive as
it is under warranty. The person I spoke with was very helpful and it
didn't take very long. I was surprised. I will update this as it
progresses, if anyone would like to know how it goes.

and for the same reason."

Toolman Tim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> If you got it "new", there should be a disc included....or did you get
> it "new" from someone else besides DELL?

Dell has stopped sending discs with some of their systems. I just got a
Dimension 4700 at work with no discs. It's got a recovery partition instead.
But, like Joel experienced, it's useless if the HD physically borks (that's
a technical term).

Dave Lear

"joevan" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)

> I just last week got a new Dell 2.4 gig desktop with xp home
> for my daughter. It worked fine for a few days. I left it on all last
> evening and this afternoon it would not boot.
>
> [ SNIP ]

It's a week old. Dell's come with at least a 1 year warranty. Ring them up
and let them sort it.

Toolman Tim

"Dave Lear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "joevan" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)
>
>> I just last week got a new Dell 2.4 gig desktop with xp home
>> for my daughter. It worked fine for a few days. I left it on all last
>> evening and this afternoon it would not boot.
>>
>> [ SNIP ]

> It's a week old. Dell's come with at least a 1 year warranty. Ring them up
> and let them sort it.

Actually, if you buy that system they advertise on TV, the warranty is only
90 days.
<http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/cto_dimen2400?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn>

cygnian@despammed.com

Support is for a year though...as long as you can understand their
Indian reps. I prefer using their online chat...at least they type
english

Toolman Tim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Support is for a year though...as long as you can understand their
> Indian reps. I prefer using their online chat...at least they type
> english

Exactly! I do that with HP and others as well. The accent doesn't get in the
way...