Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > getting rid of Taskbar icons

getting rid of Taskbar icons

don

Aside from unchecking the programs in msconfig - how can I prevent certain
programs from showing up on the taskbar - I do not want to permanently
delete them - I just do not want them running when I'm not using them - for
example I have a windows Scheduled Task icon which I never use - right now
my resources at start up are down to 71% before I even open a program - this
is a Win98 machine with 384 megs of memory on a Pentium II 350
processor............

Jan

As I recall you can do this with Win98: Click, Start/Run/ type in
"msconfig" (without quotes) select Selective Startup, then the Startup tab
and then uncheck anything you don't want to load on start up. You can
always go back here and recheck if needed. Click ok. Next time you reboot
it'll tell you that you are in selective startup. If you don't want that
reminder, check the box telling it not to remind you again.
Jan

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dditfu$9ou$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Aside from unchecking the programs in msconfig - how can I prevent certain
> programs from showing up on the taskbar - I do not want to permanently
> delete them - I just do not want them running when I'm not using them -
> for
> example I have a windows Scheduled Task icon which I never use - right
> now
> my resources at start up are down to 71% before I even open a program -
> this
> is a Win98 machine with 384 megs of memory on a Pentium II 350
> processor............

why?

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:32:15 -0400, don wrote:

>Aside from unchecking the programs in msconfig - how can I prevent certain
>programs from showing up on the taskbar - I do not want to permanently
>delete them - I just do not want them running when I'm not using them - for
>example I have a windows Scheduled Task icon which I never use - right now
>my resources at start up are down to 71% before I even open a program - this
>is a Win98 machine with 384 megs of memory on a Pentium II 350
>processor............

www.google.com search for

hide task bar icons

there are several apps.

Me

why?

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:18:47 GMT, why? wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:32:15 -0400, don wrote:
>
>>Aside from unchecking the programs in msconfig - how can I prevent certain
>>programs from showing up on the taskbar - I do not want to permanently
>>delete them - I just do not want them running when I'm not using them - for
>>example I have a windows Scheduled Task icon which I never use - right now
>>my resources at start up are down to 71% before I even open a program - this
>>is a Win98 machine with 384 megs of memory on a Pentium II 350
>>processor............

>www.google.com search for
>
>hide task bar icons

Ignore that did a cut / paste wrong reply from somewhere else.

Me

why?

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:32:15 -0400, don wrote:

>Aside from unchecking the programs in msconfig - how can I prevent certain
>programs from showing up on the taskbar - I do not want to permanently
>delete them - I just do not want them running when I'm not using them - for
>example I have a windows Scheduled Task icon which I never use - right now

That's a bit tricky as the stuff running in the background is often AV,
AntiSpyware etc. It can be registry run entries, startup folders,
win.ini entries.

Along with msconfig, you can get a lot more details for what's running
at startup with Autoruns,

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html
Simply run Autoruns and it shows you the currently configured
auto-start applications as well as the full list of Registry and file
system locations available for auto-start configuration. Autostart
locations displayed by Autoruns include logon entries, Explorer add-ons,
Internet Explorer add-ons including Browser Helper Objects (BHOs),
Appinit DLLs, image hijacks, boot execute images, Winlogon notification
DLLs, Windows Services and Winsock Layered Service Providers. Switch
tabs to view autostarts from different categories.

To disable an auto-start entry uncheck its check box. To delete an
auto-start configuration entry use the Delete menu item or toolbar
button.

<snip>

Me

What's in a Name?

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:dditfu$9ou$(E-Mail Removed):

> Aside from unchecking the programs in msconfig - how can I prevent
> certain programs from showing up on the taskbar - I do not want to
> permanently delete them - I just do not want them running when I'm
> not using them - for example I have a windows Scheduled Task
> icon which I never use - right now my resources at start up are
> down to 71% before I even open a program - this is a Win98
> machine with 384 megs of memory on a Pentium II 350
> processor............

Go into each program and uncheck the "load when windows starts" box.
-max
--
Making Good Posts: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
My Pages: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/

Jan

That's the first option, but many programs don't give you that option.
Jan

"What's in a Name?" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Go into each program and uncheck the "load when windows starts" box.
> -max

trout

don wrote:

> Aside from unchecking the programs in msconfig - how can I prevent
> certain programs from showing up on the taskbar - I do not want to
> permanently delete them - I just do not want them running when I'm
> not using them - for example I have a windows Scheduled Task icon
> which I never use - right now my resources at start up are down to
> 71% before I even open a program - this is a Win98 machine with 384
> megs of memory on a Pentium II 350 processor............

If it's a question of resources, what are you actually wanting to
do? Remove taskbar icons, or control start-up programs?
--
The answers are really quite different for each.

What's in a Name?

"Jan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> That's the first option, but many programs don't give you that
> option. Jan

************Middle Posted for Maximum Confusion************

Those are poorly written programs,IMHO

> "What's in a Name?" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Go into each program and uncheck the "load when windows starts"
>> box. -max

-max

--
Making Good Posts: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
My Pages: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
Registered Linux User #393236

whatevernevermind

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:dditfu$9ou$(E-Mail Removed):

> Aside from unchecking the programs in msconfig - how can I prevent
> certain programs from showing up on the taskbar - I do not want to
> permanently delete them - I just do not want them running when I'm not
> using them - for example I have a windows Scheduled Task icon which
> I never use - right now my resources at start up are down to 71%
> before I even open a program - this is a Win98 machine with 384 megs
> of memory on a Pentium II 350 processor............

Get a copy of Codestuff's Starter
http://codestuff.mirrorz.com/