Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP on an aging PIII?

XP on an aging PIII?

Karl Engel

I use a PIII 500Mhz 256MB RAM W98SE computer with ADSL for internet; I see
Skype requires W2000 or XP. Will this config run OK on XP do you think?
I've had no need to consider XP for this computer until now.

Martik

"Karl Engel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42fc092d$0$32262$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I use a PIII 500Mhz 256MB RAM W98SE computer with ADSL for internet; I see
> Skype requires W2000 or XP. Will this config run OK on XP do you think?
> I've had no need to consider XP for this computer until now.

Will run better than 98. I have XP on a PII 350 no problem. Turn off the
visual effects for best performance. You will also need at least a 6GB HD.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Karl Engel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I use a PIII 500Mhz 256MB RAM W98SE computer with ADSL for internet; I see
|>Skype requires W2000 or XP. Will this config run OK on XP do you think?
|>I've had no need to consider XP for this computer until now.

It would work fine, more memory would help.

You would want to turn off themes and go with windows classic, takes
away a lot of the cpu overhead.

--

Ten years of the internet http://tinyurl.com/7cjue

rainwoodman

I think this conifg will be alright.
If you can add another 256MB of ram to the computer, XP will work
better.

However, you may have to format your harddisk before install. XP eats
your harddisk space.

Karl Engel 写道:

> I use a PIII 500Mhz 256MB RAM W98SE computer with ADSL for internet; I see
> Skype requires W2000 or XP. Will this config run OK on XP do you think?
> I've had no need to consider XP for this computer until now.

SgtMinor

Karl Engel wrote:
> I use a PIII 500Mhz 256MB RAM W98SE computer with ADSL for internet; I see
> Skype requires W2000 or XP. Will this config run OK on XP do you think?
> I've had no need to consider XP for this computer until now.

XP should run without too much difficulty, but if you have some older
peripherals there may not be XP drivers for them.

From Microsoft:

"System requirements for Windows XP operating systems"

Toolman Tim

"Karl Engel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42fc092d$0$32262$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I use a PIII 500Mhz 256MB RAM W98SE computer with ADSL for internet; I see
> Skype requires W2000 or XP. Will this config run OK on XP do you think?
> I've had no need to consider XP for this computer until now.

I agree with the other posts - go for it. I use an old (199 laptop with a
PIII 750 and it's great. I was using a PIII 500 in it before I upgraded the
CPU, and it was fine.

Synapse Syndrome

"Karl Engel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42fc092d$0$32262$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I use a PIII 500Mhz 256MB RAM W98SE computer with ADSL for internet; I see
> Skype requires W2000 or XP. Will this config run OK on XP do you think?
> I've had no need to consider XP for this computer until now.

NO!!!

ss.

FML

Karl Engel wrote:
> I use a PIII 500Mhz 256MB RAM W98SE computer with ADSL for internet; I see
> Skype requires W2000 or XP. Will this config run OK on XP do you think?
> I've had no need to consider XP for this computer until now.

I am writing this reply on a P3 450Mhz 256Mb win XP SP2 connected to
Comcast broadband via a wireless PCMCIA adapter. Its an old Compaq 1830
laptop that I keep in the TV room. Works just fine.

Barry OGrady

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:28:50 +1000, "Karl Engel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use a PIII 500Mhz 256MB RAM W98SE computer with ADSL for internet; I see
>Skype requires W2000 or XP. Will this config run OK on XP do you think?

I have no doubt. I have run XP on a PII 233 mHz with 128 meg ram and a Celeron
400 with 64 megs RAM.

>I've had no need to consider XP for this computer until now.

XP will work fine on your computer.

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

Barry OGrady

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:39:05 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> "Karl Engel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>|>I use a PIII 500Mhz 256MB RAM W98SE computer with ADSL for internet; I see
>|>Skype requires W2000 or XP. Will this config run OK on XP do you think?
>|>I've had no need to consider XP for this computer until now.
>
>It would work fine, more memory would help.

256 Megs is plenty. XP will run with 64 megs.

Windows 95B will run on a 386SX with 4 megs RAM.