Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > My Network Places - Confused

My Network Places - Confused

Boy Meets Web

Hey,

Yesterday, I asked this question below:

My Network Places ... Question

Recently, I was browsing my files on my computer, when I saw on the left
pane of my files towards the bottom ... I saw My Network Places. I clicked
on it, because I was simply curious what was there - if anything. After
clicking on it, I saw a bunch of folders.

All these folders had strange headings. I thought if I were
to list a few of these headings, if you could give me some insight as to
what they are - and perhaps how they got on my computer.

Folder 1) Apps on Master File Server (sol)
Folder 2) Australia on QA-6
Folder 3) C-Development on Raymond's build machine (Pe-6)
Folder 4) Canada on Qa-6
Folder 5) Development on Raymond's build machine (Pe-6)
Folder 6) mpx on E-Salazar

I received 1 solo response. And they said ------>

"Those are other systems you are or have been connected to thru the
network."

I have not a clue what was meant by that statement.

Can someone please clarify this for me?

Thanks in Advance!!!

BOY

http://www.usenet.com

Troy Piggins

* Boy Meets Web wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Yesterday, I asked this question below:
>
> My Network Places ... Question
>
> Recently, I was browsing my files on my computer, when I saw on the left
> pane of my files towards the bottom ... I saw My Network Places. I clicked

So why ask it again? - your first post is still there and someone has
responded.

--
Troy Piggins
(playing with disposable email addresses

Boy Meets Web

"Troy Piggins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>* Boy Meets Web wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> Yesterday, I asked this question below:
>>
>> My Network Places ... Question
>>
>> Recently, I was browsing my files on my computer, when I saw on the left
>> pane of my files towards the bottom ... I saw My Network Places. I
>> clicked

> So why ask it again? - your first post is still there and someone has
> responded.

TROY, if you took the time to ready my post properly, you would have
noticed - I SAID, I did not understand the response that the poster had
left, and I asked if someone would pleasse calrify it up for me

Boy

http://www.usenet.com

why?

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:54:24 -0700, Boy Meets Web wrote:

>"Troy Piggins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>* Boy Meets Web wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> Yesterday, I asked this question below:

Still you had to repeat your post.

>>> My Network Places ... Question
>>>
>>> Recently, I was browsing my files on my computer, when I saw on the left
>>> pane of my files towards the bottom ... I saw My Network Places. I
>>> clicked

>> So why ask it again? - your first post is still there and someone has
>> responded.

>TROY, if you took the time to ready my post properly, you would have
>noticed - I SAID, I did not understand the response that the poster had
>left, and I asked if someone would pleasse calrify it up for me

Well then tell reply to the poster that gave you an answer, that you
didn't understand it and ask if they could explain it. Don't start a new
thread.

This will be a PC at work or at home, or a PC from work you took home?

<snip>

So which of the 14 words didn't you understand?

<pasted back in>

I received 1 solo response. And they said ------>

"Those are other systems you are or have been connected to thru the
network."

I have not a clue what was meant by that statement.

<end paste>

Let's see -

other systems (not your PC)
are or have been (may be or were)
connected
networked (many PCs connected together, sharing facilities)

Me

PC

"Boy Meets Web" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey,
>
> Yesterday, I asked this question below:
>
> My Network Places ... Question
>
> Recently, I was browsing my files on my computer, when I saw on the left
> pane of my files towards the bottom ... I saw My Network Places. I
> clicked on it, because I was simply curious what was there - if anything.
> After clicking on it, I saw a bunch of folders.
>
> All these folders had strange headings. I thought if I were
> to list a few of these headings, if you could give me some insight as to
> what they are - and perhaps how they got on my computer.
>
> Folder 1) Apps on Master File Server (sol)
> Folder 2) Australia on QA-6
> Folder 3) C-Development on Raymond's build machine (Pe-6)
> Folder 4) Canada on Qa-6
> Folder 5) Development on Raymond's build machine (Pe-6)
> Folder 6) mpx on E-Salazar
>
> I received 1 solo response. And they said ------>
>
> "Those are other systems you are or have been connected to thru the
> network."
>
> I have not a clue what was meant by that statement.
>
> Can someone please clarify this for me?
>
> Thanks in Advance!!!
>
> BOY

It means at some time your computer has been connected to a network of some
sort (LAN, ie local area network)
The folders shown in ;your' Network Places are folders 'shared' to the
network from other PC's that were connected to that network (LAN)

or

At some time you have tried to download files from a 'FTP' site and those
are the folders made available to you to download from.
i.e. they were 'shared' over the Internet (WAN, Wide Area Network)

Connection to a LAN is usually via your Ethernet port which may or may not
be still there depending if it is built into the motherboard or a plug in
card.
Connection to a WAN can be via Ethernet or Dial up depending on the
circumstances.

These folders can persist for weeks / months.
If there is nothing inside the folders of interest you can delete them.

Cheers
Paul.

> http://www.usenet.com

pcbutts1

I don't know why he didn't ask me.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:54:24 -0700, Boy Meets Web wrote:
>

>>"Troy Piggins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Still you had to repeat your post.

>>> So why ask it again? - your first post is still there and someone has
>>> responded.

>>TROY, if you took the time to ready my post properly, you would have
>>noticed - I SAID, I did not understand the response that the poster had
>>left, and I asked if someone would pleasse calrify it up for me

> Well then tell reply to the poster that gave you an answer, that you
> didn't understand it and ask if they could explain it. Don't start a new
> thread.
>
> This will be a PC at work or at home, or a PC from work you took home?
>
> <snip>
>
> So which of the 14 words didn't you understand?
>
> <pasted back in>
>
> I received 1 solo response. And they said ------>
>
> "Those are other systems you are or have been connected to thru the
> network."
>
> I have not a clue what was meant by that statement.
>
> <end paste>
>
> Let's see -
>
> other systems (not your PC)
> are or have been (may be or were)
> connected
> networked (many PCs connected together, sharing facilities)
>
> Me

Troy Piggins

* Boy Meets Web wrote:

> "Troy Piggins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>* Boy Meets Web wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> Yesterday, I asked this question below:
>>>
>>> My Network Places ... Question
>>>
>>> Recently, I was browsing my files on my computer, when I saw on the left
>>> pane of my files towards the bottom ... I saw My Network Places. I
>>> clicked

>> So why ask it again? - your first post is still there and someone has
>> responded.

> TROY, if you took the time to ready my post properly, you would have
> noticed - I SAID, I did not understand the response that the poster had
> left, and I asked if someone would pleasse calrify it up for me

My bad - would've kept it in the original thread, though.

--
Troy Piggins
(playing with disposable email addresses
and message IDs to minimise spam)

Top (retired)

"Boy Meets Web" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Troy Piggins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>* Boy Meets Web wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> Yesterday, I asked this question below:
>>>
>>> My Network Places ... Question
>>>
>>> Recently, I was browsing my files on my computer, when I saw on
>>> the left pane of my files towards the bottom ... I saw My
>>> Network Places. I clicked

>> So why ask it again? - your first post is still there and someone
>> has responded.

> TROY, if you took the time to ready my post properly, you would
> have noticed - I SAID, I did not understand the response that the
> poster had left, and I asked if someone would pleasse calrify it
> up for me
>
> Boy

> http://www.usenet.com

Then why create another thread? Responding directly to the post you
did not understand would show the progression of the topic.

Top

--
Freedom is never free....