Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > can i increase da simulation speed of design

can i increase da simulation speed of design

anupam

Hi everybody,
can I increase the simulation speed of my designs . I am using ModelSim
Altera version 5.8c

Thanx in advance.

Anupam

ALuPin

Of course it depends on the design.
What kind of design do you have ?

"anupam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) alkaboutprogramming.com>...
> Hi everybody,
> can I increase the simulation speed of my designs . I am using ModelSim
> Altera version 5.8c
>
> Thanx in advance.
>
> Anupam

anupam

I am working with VHDL code for multichannel HDLC.
Regards,
Anupam

Mike Treseler

anupam wrote:
> can I increase the simulation speed of my designs . I am using ModelSim
> Altera version 5.8c I am working with VHDL code for multichannel HDLC.

Simulation of source code runs about
ten times faster than simulation of
a netlist.

-- Mike Treseler

Allan Herriman

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 06:32:15 -0700, Mike Treseler
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>anupam wrote:
>> can I increase the simulation speed of my designs . I am using ModelSim
>> Altera version 5.8c I am working with VHDL code for multichannel HDLC.

>Simulation of source code runs about
>ten times faster than simulation of
>a netlist.

My source code often has lots of low level library primitives (e.g.
from Xilinx's Unisim library) and these are very slow. Replacing them
with behavioural models (with no timing checks, etc.) typically
improves simulation speed by 2-3 times.

The basic rule is: the higher the level of abstraction, the faster the
simulation.

Regards,
Allan