Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re-posting a previous question

Re-posting a previous question

Tass

I'm re-posting because I still have the same problem. I recently
downloaded a 60 day trial of the Microsoft Office Standard
Edition 2003. I start to install and keep getting the error message
"Extracting file failed. It is most likely caused by low memory (low disk
space for swapping file) or corrupted Cabinet file". I have deleting all
my temporary files and have re-downloaded it and still can't get past this
point. I tried the Windows help files but can't seem to find the problem.
I have Windows XP, Norton Antivirus, Zone Alarm and I use Ad-Aware,
CWShredder, Spybot, EasyCleaner and Spyware Blaster and still have 38
GB on my program partition of my harddrive. This problem seemed to start
after an update of Windows Media Player..but this could be just a
coincidence. Any help would be appreciated.

Unk

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 06:21:36 GMT, "Tass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm re-posting because I still have the same problem. I recently
>downloaded a 60 day trial of the Microsoft Office Standard
> Edition 2003. I start to install and keep getting the error message
> "Extracting file failed. It is most likely caused by low memory (low disk
> space for swapping file) or corrupted Cabinet file". I have deleting all
>my temporary files and have re-downloaded it and still can't get past this
> point. I tried the Windows help files but can't seem to find the problem.
> I have Windows XP, Norton Antivirus, Zone Alarm and I use Ad-Aware,
>CWShredder, Spybot, EasyCleaner and Spyware Blaster and still have 38
>GB on my program partition of my harddrive. This problem seemed to start
>after an update of Windows Media Player..but this could be just a
>coincidence. Any help would be appreciated.

Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Performance, click Settings, Click the Advanced tab.
Under Virtual Memory, click Change.
Click No paging file. Click OK, OK, OK.
Restart your computer.

Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Performance, click Settings, Click the Advanced tab.
Under Virtual Memory, click Change.
Click System managed sized. Click OK, OK, OK.
Restart your computer.

That will eliminate the pagefile (swap) as the source of the problem.

why?

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 06:21:36 GMT, Tass wrote:

> I'm re-posting because I still have the same problem. I recently
>downloaded a 60 day trial of the Microsoft Office Standard

Why? Sounds like you should use the existing thread.

> Edition 2003. I start to install and keep getting the error message
> "Extracting file failed. It is most likely caused by low memory (low disk

<snip>

Me

pcbutts1

That's NORMAL, don't listen to the trolls who are trying to convince you
that you have a problem.

--
I went to San Francisco and all I got was this lousy virus.

Tass wrote:
> I'm re-posting because I still have the same problem. I recently
> downloaded a 60 day trial of the Microsoft Office Standard
> Edition 2003. I start to install and keep getting the error message
> "Extracting file failed. It is most likely caused by low memory (low
> disk space for swapping file) or corrupted Cabinet file". I have
> deleting all my temporary files and have re-downloaded it and still
> can't get past this point. I tried the Windows help files but can't
> seem to find the problem. I have Windows XP, Norton Antivirus, Zone
> Alarm and I use Ad-Aware, CWShredder, Spybot, EasyCleaner and Spyware
> Blaster and still have 38 GB on my program partition of my harddrive.
> This problem seemed to
> start after an update of Windows Media Player..but this could be just
> a coincidence. Any help would be appreciated.

Tass

Thanks so much for the help. I went to both of the websites listed below.
But I was curious if my posting was improper somehow after reading how to
correctly post. Thanks again.
"Noel Paton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dddl9g$1mk$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...

> "Tass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I'm re-posting because I still have the same problem. I recently
>> downloaded a 60 day trial of the Microsoft Office Standard
>> Edition 2003. I start to install and keep getting the error message
>> "Extracting file failed. It is most likely caused by low memory (low
>> disk
>> space for swapping file) or corrupted Cabinet file". I have deleting
>> all
>> my temporary files and have re-downloaded it and still can't get past
>> this
>> point. I tried the Windows help files but can't seem to find the
>> problem.
>> I have Windows XP, Norton Antivirus, Zone Alarm and I use Ad-Aware,
>> CWShredder, Spybot, EasyCleaner and Spyware Blaster and still have 38
>> GB on my program partition of my harddrive. This problem seemed to start
>> after an update of Windows Media Player..but this could be just a
>> coincidence. Any help would be appreciated.
>>

> Get rid of Norton and try again (cures all ills, that one!<g>) -
> Seriously, try running the install without having Norton running in the
> background, and see if that helps.
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Noel Paton

(top-posted to keep the sense)

Don't worry about my signature line - it's not personal!! - over 5000
posters have received the same message in the past few years.

My ISP is woefully bad at retaining posts ( about 4 days is all I can reckon
on here), and I can't vet every post to seen whether it complies with 'good
practice'(by whoever's definition - ,mine is that I can make some sense out
of it!) .... If I can make sense of it - and can possibly help - then I'll
respond with my standard signature.

from what I can see of your post in this thread (your previous one is not
visible - although I could search for it, and probably find it), it's a
pretty good statement of the problem, and sufficient for a reasonable
response.

My comment WRT NAV may seem flippant - but, believe me that it's a response
based on years of experience in Windows ME...... - NAV (or anything else
Symantec) and Win ME are death to each other.
Your more critical need is for a working OS - you can use (almost) any other
AV and get as good if not better results than with NAV, without the risks
associated.