Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP SP-2 Changes Taskbar Look

Reply
Thread Tools

XP SP-2 Changes Taskbar Look

 
 
Sens Fan Happy In Ohio
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2005
Here's a new one! Our server at work is Windows XP SP-2 and running with
the usual XP style blue and green theme with that grassy wallpaper that is
the default. One day last week, without my knowing it, someone turned the
server off for several hours. When it was turned back on, the theme was
distorted. Instead of the XP-style look with rounded start button, the
theme was back to looking like Windows 95-98-ME with the squared-off start
button and colours. The wallpaper was still the same, but the rest had
changed. When they tried to change it back they "claim" the XP-style was
gone!

Well I didn't believe it ... until today. Again, someone shut down the
server. We figure the cleaning staff at night must hit it by accident
because this AM it was off and the usual early AM person was not there to
notice. When I came in I could not log into the server, so I turned it back
on. Sure enough, right from bootup, the default XP theme was altered to
look like Win 95-98-ME and the ability to change it back was gone. I
restarted the server and it was fine.

Any clue what's making this happen?

--
Kyle )

Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults, bequests of
$1-million US dollars to sensfan_luvslisa (at) yahoo (dot) ca. Change the
obvious to the obvious. Oh, and if you must abuse or insult, don't expect a
reply. Money gets faster attention


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Synapse Syndrome
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2005

"Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here's a new one! Our server at work is Windows XP SP-2 and running with
> the usual XP style blue and green theme with that grassy wallpaper that is
> the default. One day last week, without my knowing it, someone turned the
> server off for several hours. When it was turned back on, the theme was
> distorted. Instead of the XP-style look with rounded start button, the
> theme was back to looking like Windows 95-98-ME with the squared-off start
> button and colours. The wallpaper was still the same, but the rest had
> changed. When they tried to change it back they "claim" the XP-style was
> gone!
>
> Well I didn't believe it ... until today. Again, someone shut down the
> server. We figure the cleaning staff at night must hit it by accident
> because this AM it was off and the usual early AM person was not there to
> notice. When I came in I could not log into the server, so I turned it
> back on. Sure enough, right from bootup, the default XP theme was altered
> to look like Win 95-98-ME and the ability to change it back was gone. I
> restarted the server and it was fine.
>
> Any clue what's making this happen?
>



The Themes Service wasn't running for some reason. Sounds like your server
is being temperamental as its OS installation has been messed about with.

ss.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
PC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2005

"Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here's a new one! Our server at work is Windows XP SP-2 and running with
> the usual XP style blue and green theme with that grassy wallpaper that is
> the default. One day last week, without my knowing it, someone turned the
> server off for several hours. When it was turned back on, the theme was
> distorted. Instead of the XP-style look with rounded start button, the
> theme was back to looking like Windows 95-98-ME with the squared-off start
> button and colours. The wallpaper was still the same, but the rest had
> changed. When they tried to change it back they "claim" the XP-style was
> gone!
>
> Well I didn't believe it ... until today. Again, someone shut down the
> server. We figure the cleaning staff at night must hit it by accident
> because this AM it was off and the usual early AM person was not there to
> notice. When I came in I could not log into the server, so I turned it
> back on. Sure enough, right from bootup, the default XP theme was altered
> to look like Win 95-98-ME and the ability to change it back was gone. I
> restarted the server and it was fine.
>
> Any clue what's making this happen?
>
> --
> Kyle )
>
> Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults, bequests of
> $1-million US dollars to sensfan_luvslisa (at) yahoo (dot) ca. Change the
> obvious to the obvious. Oh, and if you must abuse or insult, don't expect
> a reply. Money gets faster attention



I would be looking for the reason the Server ended up 'off'.
If that proves to be simply someone turning it off, and or nobody has been
having a fiddle on the side etc, then I'd be looking at doing some Hardware
tests.

Cheers
Paul.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Sens Fan Happy In Ohio
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-11-2005
In news:ddbcl1$fd7$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com, Synapse Syndrome
<(E-Mail Removed)> first attempted to communicate with
pen, but the writing was small, so next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain
washed it away, and then switched to spray paint and stencils but the cans
exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for this:
>
> The Themes Service wasn't running for some reason. Sounds like your
> server is being temperamental as its OS installation has been messed
> about with.
> ss.


Do you suggest trying an O/S re-install? Or just leave well enough alone?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Sens Fan Happy In Ohio
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-11-2005
In news:hMdKe.1649$(E-Mail Removed), PC <(E-Mail Removed)> first
attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next used
sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray
paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for
this:
>
> I would be looking for the reason the Server ended up 'off'.
> If that proves to be simply someone turning it off, and or nobody has
> been having a fiddle on the side etc, then I'd be looking at doing
> some Hardware tests.
>
> Cheers
> Paul.


Because it sits on the floor, the cleaning staff says that occasionally they
might bump into the power button. Of course I didn't believe that one since
it'd take a press-n-hold scenario to shut it down. But yes, we're looking
into this.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-11-2005
"Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>In news:hMdKe.1649$(E-Mail Removed), PC <(E-Mail Removed)> first
|>attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next used
|>sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray
|>paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for
|>this:
|>>
|>> I would be looking for the reason the Server ended up 'off'.
|>> If that proves to be simply someone turning it off, and or nobody has
|>> been having a fiddle on the side etc, then I'd be looking at doing
|>> some Hardware tests.


|>Because it sits on the floor, the cleaning staff says that occasionally they
|>might bump into the power button. Of course I didn't believe that one since
|>it'd take a press-n-hold scenario to shut it down. But yes, we're looking
|>into this.

If you really want to find out when it shuts down or why.
Start/Run perfmon.msc <enter>

Run a log that saves to the disk, you can then load the log and view
the events. Just have it update often.



--

Ten years of the internet http://tinyurl.com/7cjue
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Delphi 2007 + Themed support + WinXP64Pro + Side Taskbar = System Crash + Taskbar not working. Skybuck Flying Windows 64bit 4 08-27-2007 02:17 PM
Day shown on taskbar and unable to make settings on taskbar displays. Charlie Evans Computer Support 4 05-31-2005 03:01 PM
Why do look-ahead and look-behind have to be fixed-width patterns? inhahe Python 3 01-28-2005 12:50 PM
Taskbar changes size but refuses to stay changed Ken Smith Computer Support 0 01-11-2004 02:00 PM
<tr> with a 1x1 image as a filler on a table with padding of 2 look thicker in netscape but they look ok in IE. Serial # 19781010 HTML 1 08-10-2003 09:05 PM



Advertisments