Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Athlon, Celeron, Duron, Sempron????????

Reply
Thread Tools

Athlon, Celeron, Duron, Sempron????????

 
 
Shirley Azvedo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2005
What in the world is the difference in these things? Have seen Athlon,
Celeron and Duron mentioned before but Sempron is new. Which is best?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2005
Shirley Azvedo wrote:
> What in the world is the difference in these things? Have seen Athlon,
> Celeron and Duron mentioned before but Sempron is new. Which is best?


Sempron took Duron's place. It's the "bargain" version of the Athlon.
Celeron is the bargain version of the Pentium 4. The best? I'd like to
have the Athlon X2 4800 dual core processor. Not sure that makes it the
best though.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
BIG NIGE
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2005

"Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Shirley Azvedo wrote:
> > What in the world is the difference in these things? Have seen Athlon,
> > Celeron and Duron mentioned before but Sempron is new. Which is best?

>
> Sempron took Duron's place. It's the "bargain" version of the Athlon.
> Celeron is the bargain version of the Pentium 4. The best? I'd like to
> have the Athlon X2 4800 dual core processor. Not sure that makes it the
> best though.


It probably is the best though because Athlon Dual Processors talk to each
other much faster than Pentium Dual Processors cos they dont go via the FSB.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Martik
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2005

"Shirley Azvedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsm3Ke.81366$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What in the world is the difference in these things? Have seen Athlon,
> Celeron and Duron mentioned before but Sempron is new. Which is best?
>
>

Unless you are into gaming, Video encoding or high-end processing there will
be no noticeable difference. I run my Athlon 2600 at 1000 during the summer
and see no difference in basic application performance.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2005
Martik wrote:
>
> "Shirley Azvedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsm3Ke.81366$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What in the world is the difference in these things? Have seen Athlon,
>> Celeron and Duron mentioned before but Sempron is new. Which is best?
>>
>>

> Unless you are into gaming, Video encoding or high-end processing there will
> be no noticeable difference. I run my Athlon 2600 at 1000 during the summer
> and see no difference in basic application performance.


What kind of temp savings do you get by underclocking that much, Martik?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Killing All Posts from GG: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
End Of The Good GG Archive GUI: http://blinkynet.net/comp/gggui.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2005
BIG NIGE wrote:
> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Shirley Azvedo wrote:
>>
>>>What in the world is the difference in these things? Have seen Athlon,
>>>Celeron and Duron mentioned before but Sempron is new. Which is best?

>>
>>Sempron took Duron's place. It's the "bargain" version of the Athlon.
>>Celeron is the bargain version of the Pentium 4. The best? I'd like to
>>have the Athlon X2 4800 dual core processor. Not sure that makes it the
>>best though.

>
>
> It probably is the best though because Athlon Dual Processors talk to each
> other much faster than Pentium Dual Processors cos they dont go via the FSB.


I got my 4200 X2 in a couple of days ago, got the system mostly built.
Couldn't afford the $500 spread between the 4200 and the 4800. It better
be good.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Martik
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2005

"Blinky the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Martik wrote:
> >
> > "Shirley Azvedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > newsm3Ke.81366$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> What in the world is the difference in these things? Have seen Athlon,
> >> Celeron and Duron mentioned before but Sempron is new. Which is best?
> >>
> >>

> > Unless you are into gaming, Video encoding or high-end processing there

will
> > be no noticeable difference. I run my Athlon 2600 at 1000 during the

summer
> > and see no difference in basic application performance.

>
> What kind of temp savings do you get by underclocking that much, Martik?
>

3-4C but more importantly it reduces fan noise a little (volcano 7)



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments