Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Using External monitor with laptop

Using External monitor with laptop

Joe Viola

I have a HP Presario 2200 running Windows XP Home Edition.
I've connected a 17" LCD Monitor and it works fine, but the
laptop screen remains on as well. How can I shut the
laptop screen off? Thanks in advance.

pcbutts1

Press the button again.There are 3 settings for the internal display, on,
off, both.

"Joe Viola" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:w_UJe.927$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>I have a HP Presario 2200 running Windows XP Home Edition.
> I've connected a 17" LCD Monitor and it works fine, but the
> laptop screen remains on as well. How can I shut the
> laptop screen off? Thanks in advance.

Larry Crites

My IBM ThinkPad has a setting in the BIOS. AGP for an external monitor or
through a docking station, LCD for the laptop screen, BOTH to use both of
them.

Larry
Behold Beware Believe

news:3lVJe.2807$(E-Mail Removed) ...

pcbutts1 wrote:
> Press the button again.There are 3 settings for the internal display, on,
> off, both.

Press what button? All I did was plug the external
>monitor into the laptop.

Blinky the Shark

Joe Viola wrote:
> pcbutts1 wrote:
>> Press the button again.There are 3 settings for the internal display, on,
>> off, both.

> Press what button? All I did was plug the external
>>monitor into the laptop.

I wouldn't touch XP with *your* pole, but perhaps in CP/Display (or its
equivalent) there's a setting for one, the other, or both -- like there
was in earlier flavors of Win.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

why?

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 03:52:45 GMT, Joe Viola wrote:

>pcbutts1 wrote:
>> Press the button again.There are 3 settings for the internal display, on,
>> off, both.

>Press what button? All I did was plug the external
>>monitor into the laptop.

RTFM, Same thing happens with DELL and many other brands.

Learn how to use www.google.com

You did try www.hp.com , or not. Since it's an HP/Compaq product, but no
that;s too easy.

If you look for the Presario 2200 manuals, there are 5 models you will
find something like this -

Compaq Presario 2200 Notebook PC: Manuals
Reference Guide
pg 2-6
Basic Operation
To Use the Function Hot Keys
Fn+F5 Toggles the external monitor on and off.

That took about 15 seconds to find.

Me

Barry OGrady

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 02:59:40 GMT, Joe Viola <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a HP Presario 2200 running Windows XP Home Edition.
>I've connected a 17" LCD Monitor and it works fine, but the
>laptop screen remains on as well. How can I shut the
>laptop screen off? Thanks in advance.

Change in setup.

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

pcbutts1

On the HP's it's the Fn +F5 I think. Fn plus one of the F buttons.

"Joe Viola" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hMVJe.938$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> pcbutts1 wrote:
>> Press the button again.There are 3 settings for the internal display, on,
>> off, both.

> Press what button? All I did was plug the external
>>monitor into the laptop.

Joe Viola

pcbutts1 wrote:
> On the HP's it's the Fn +F5 I think. Fn plus one of the F buttons.

Correct! It's Fn + F5. Many thanks for your help.

J-McC

With many laptops if you plug an external monitor in to the video
connector and then turn it on the external monitor is recognised and
automatically is activated.