Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Java is screwed

Java is screwed

PhilÅ

Hi

My Java is screwed, had issues, so uninstalled every thing.

Downloaded the latest from SUN, now when ever I go to a page, when the java
applets are loading the IE windows close and dump me back to the desktop.

Have uninstalled and re installed inc a new download from sun, and get the
same.

Tried to install MS VM instead, but can't get it to load.

OS is XP SP2
Any ideas??. Or locations of old java installs I could try?

why?

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 21:59:49 GMT, PhilÅ wrote:

>Hi
>
>My Java is screwed, had issues, so uninstalled every thing.
>
>Downloaded the latest from SUN, now when ever I go to a page, when the java

That will be 1_5_4_04 , just to make sure.

>applets are loading the IE windows close and dump me back to the desktop.

It's not just something in IE?

You tried another browser?

It's not the way the applet is launched (code on the page)?

>Have uninstalled and re installed inc a new download from sun, and get the
>same.

You tried unticking Sun Java 2 in IE, Tools | options | Advanced , maybe
even open the Java console to see if there are any errors.

>Tried to install MS VM instead, but can't get it to load.

Which version from where?

What happened?

MS don't have a d/l for anything from NT4 up that generally doesn't
install except for early SPs or as a non Windows update version.

However if you hunt around old posts in 24HSHD, and www.google.com you
will find you can d/l from Windows Update the MS JVM 3810 from the
Windows ME list and it works on NT4 SP6a and 2000 SP4. I am sure I also
put in on 2 XP SP2 PCs at work.

>OS is XP SP2

What version of MS JVM is SP2, did that include the SP1a removal of MS
JVM?

>Any ideas??. Or locations of old java installs I could try?

Sun archive has multiple versions, of lots of stuff
http://java.sun.com/products/archive/

Maybe look for manual removal instructions,
http://onesearch.sun.com/search/onesearch/

Me

Paul_B

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 21:59:49 GMT, PhilÅ wrote:

> Hi
>
> My Java is screwed, had issues, so uninstalled every thing.
>
> Downloaded the latest from SUN, now when ever I go to a page, when the java
> applets are loading the IE windows close and dump me back to the desktop.
>
> Have uninstalled and re installed inc a new download from sun, and get the
> same.
>
> Tried to install MS VM instead, but can't get it to load.
>
> OS is XP SP2
> Any ideas??. Or locations of old java installs I could try?

I would do a complete uninstall of MS VM and Sun, and start again
with Sun. Just had to do that here. I find the latest Java a bit
slower loading, but more reliable.

p.

Unk

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 21:59:49 GMT, "PhilÃ…" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>
>My Java is screwed, had issues, so uninstalled every thing.
>
>Downloaded the latest from SUN, now when ever I go to a page, when the java
>applets are loading the IE windows close and dump me back to the desktop.
>
>Have uninstalled and re installed inc a new download from sun, and get the
>same.
>
>Tried to install MS VM instead, but can't get it to load.
>
>OS is XP SP2
>Any ideas??. Or locations of old java installs I could try?

To completely remove the Microsoft JVM, perform the following steps:

Copy and paste the below line into the Start, Run box:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection java.inf,UnInstall

Click Yes to the confirmation, then select Reboot.
After the machine restarts, delete the following items:
1 - the \%systemroot%\java folder
2 - java.pnf from the \%systemroot%\inf folder
3 - jview.exe and wjview.exe from the \%systemroot%\system32 folder
4 - The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Java VM registry subkey
5 - The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AdvancedOptions\JAVA_VM registry
subkey (to remove the Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) options)

Microsoft Java is now removed.

You can download Sun's newer JVM for Windows at http://java.sun.com/getjava/index.html.