Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Security Center

Windows Security Center

Malcolm William Mason

I am running Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed.

Unrelated to the installation or use of XP Pro or SP2,but
some how, some way, I must have authorized or initiated
this feature, Windows security Center,
I may well have, I probably did do something to initiate its appearance,
but I an at a loss as to what I did and the icon sits there doing
nothing but occupy space in the System Tray and, oh yes, in the Control
Panel too.

however it insists , each time that I IPL, check the security status by
inflating its balloon and insisting that I click on it to have the
Security Center open to tell me that:: yes the firewall was turned on
and, yes, Live updates was activated and NO, it did not know any thing
about the status of my Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition.

I deal with the antivirus as a part of my regular PC maintenance as well
as checking disks, registry etc. and defragging. Usually once a week.

The Windows Security Center is a "do-nothing" nuisance that requires my
action with every IPL. It is just a another thing which requires my
action for no purpose.

Ad/Remove does not show it.

Can I safely delete it in the Control Panel?

To paraphrase T.S. Elliott; "Who will rid me of this nuisance
'FEATURE'?"

I don't need it , don't want it. How do I rid myself of this unknowingly
self-inflicted nuisance?

Unk

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 05:01:02 GMT, Malcolm William Mason <mwm1(spam)@JHU.edu> wrote:

>I am running Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed.
>
>Unrelated to the installation or use of XP Pro or SP2,but
>some how, some way, I must have authorized or initiated
> this feature, Windows security Center,
>I may well have, I probably did do something to initiate its appearance,
>but I an at a loss as to what I did and the icon sits there doing
>nothing but occupy space in the System Tray and, oh yes, in the Control
>Panel too.
>
>however it insists , each time that I IPL, check the security status by
>inflating its balloon and insisting that I click on it to have the
>Security Center open to tell me that:: yes the firewall was turned on
>and, yes, Live updates was activated and NO, it did not know any thing
>about the status of my Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition.
>
>I deal with the antivirus as a part of my regular PC maintenance as well
>as checking disks, registry etc. and defragging. Usually once a week.
>
>The Windows Security Center is a "do-nothing" nuisance that requires my
>action with every IPL. It is just a another thing which requires my
>action for no purpose.
>
>Ad/Remove does not show it.
>
>Can I safely delete it in the Control Panel?
>
>To paraphrase T.S. Elliott; "Who will rid me of this nuisance
>'FEATURE'?"
>
>I don't need it , don't want it. How do I rid myself of this unknowingly
>self-inflicted nuisance?

How to Disable Security Center Alerts:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...escalerts.mspx

To turn off Security Center alerts,
1. Click Start. Settings, Control Panel.
2. Double-click "Security Center".
3. In the Security Center, under Resources, click "Change the way Security Center alerts me".
4. In the Alert Settings dialog box, clear the Firewall, Automatic Updates, or Virus Protection
check boxes, and then click OK.

When you use this procedure, the Security Center still displays your status, but does not send
you alerts.

Malcolm William Mason

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 01:05:56 -0400, Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 05:01:02 GMT, Malcolm William Mason <mwm1(spam)@JHU.edu> wrote:
>
>>I am running Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed.
>>
>>Unrelated to the installation or use of XP Pro or SP2,but
>>some how, some way, I must have authorized or initiated
>> this feature, Windows security Center,

How to Disable Security Center Alerts:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...escalerts.mspx

When you use this procedure, the Security Center still displays your
status, but does not send
you alerts.

Thank you very much.

Malcolm Mason

JP

Alternatively, click start > run, type in services.msc and press enter.
Find security center in the list, right click, properties, set startup type
to manual.
This should stop it starting all together!

PC

"Malcolm William Mason" <mwm1(spam)@JHU.edu> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am running Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed.
>
> Unrelated to the installation or use of XP Pro or SP2,but
> some how, some way, I must have authorized or initiated
> this feature, Windows security Center,
> I may well have, I probably did do something to initiate its appearance,
> but I an at a loss as to what I did and the icon sits there doing
> nothing but occupy space in the System Tray and, oh yes, in the Control
> Panel too.
>
> however it insists , each time that I IPL, check the security status by
> inflating its balloon and insisting that I click on it to have the
> Security Center open to tell me that:: yes the firewall was turned on
> and, yes, Live updates was activated and NO, it did not know any thing
> about the status of my Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition.
>
> I deal with the antivirus as a part of my regular PC maintenance as well
> as checking disks, registry etc. and defragging. Usually once a week.
>
> The Windows Security Center is a "do-nothing" nuisance that requires my
> action with every IPL. It is just a another thing which requires my
> action for no purpose.
>
> Ad/Remove does not show it.
>
> Can I safely delete it in the Control Panel?
>
> To paraphrase T.S. Elliott; "Who will rid me of this nuisance
> 'FEATURE'?"
>
> I don't need it , don't want it. How do I rid myself of this unknowingly
> self-inflicted nuisance?

Malcolm

Sorry to disappoint you, but Windows Security Centre is an intrisic part of
Service Pack 2.
Whether you installed SP2 from CD or got it over the Internet (Automatic
updates), SP2 = Windows Security Centre.
Security Centre was one of Microsofts responses to the massive critisism it
received over the holes in XP.
It's job is to prod you, the 'go away I'm busy, I'll do it later' user, that
in fact you shouldn't leave it till later, you should do it 'NOW'

Playing devils advocate I would ask when you did your last data backup and
"test restore"
I'll bet there is a good chance you've left it to 'Later' because it's to
hard/time consuming/mysterious.
I've found irritation with Security Centre frequently goes hand in hand with
poor or no backups.
Am I right?

As for the status of Symantec AV, Symantec say to keep doing Symantec Live
Updates and it should eventually correct itself.

Hope this is helpfull

Paul.

Unk

You're welcome.