Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Not hearing voices isn't always a good thing

Not hearing voices isn't always a good thing

FML

My daughter's computer is exhibiting some weird behavior while playing
music. When playing any kind of music file be it directly from a music
CD, mp3, wma, or wav, the main voice track sounds very faint and almost
echo-like. Other sounds seem to be OK.

System is P4-3.2Ghz HT on an ECS 848PA mobo with built in AC'97 sound.
Two Altec-Lansing desktop speakers. WinXP Home-SP2 with all updates.
After trying every setting imaginable in the sound settings and swapping
with known-good speakers to no avail, I disabled the device in Windows,
unistalled the drivers, went out to the BIOS and disabled the AC'97
hardware, rebooted, downloaded the AC'97 drivers from ECS, rebooted,
enabled the hardware in BIOS, installed the newly downloded driver, same
result.

I am starting to think it is a hardware issue and the middle channel is
whacked. I can hear the voices from backup singers and the rest of the
music just fine, it is only the "main" voice track that has the
faint-echo thing going on. It is like the middle channel is missing.

I think I have a PCI sound card out in the garage somewhere. I think
I'll try it next (if I can find it!).

Unless anyone here has any other suggestions.

Ish Taylor

"FML" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My daughter's computer is exhibiting some weird behavior while playing
> music. When playing any kind of music file be it directly from a music
> CD, mp3, wma, or wav, the main voice track sounds very faint and almost
> echo-like. Other sounds seem to be OK.
>
> System is P4-3.2Ghz HT on an ECS 848PA mobo with built in AC'97 sound.
> Two Altec-Lansing desktop speakers. WinXP Home-SP2 with all updates.
> After trying every setting imaginable in the sound settings and swapping
> with known-good speakers to no avail, I disabled the device in Windows,
> unistalled the drivers, went out to the BIOS and disabled the AC'97
> hardware, rebooted, downloaded the AC'97 drivers from ECS, rebooted,
> enabled the hardware in BIOS, installed the newly downloded driver, same
> result.
>
> I am starting to think it is a hardware issue and the middle channel is
> whacked. I can hear the voices from backup singers and the rest of the
> music just fine, it is only the "main" voice track that has the
> faint-echo thing going on. It is like the middle channel is missing.
>
> I think I have a PCI sound card out in the garage somewhere. I think
> I'll try it next (if I can find it!).
>
> Unless anyone here has any other suggestions.

I would look for a program that controls the on board sound. On mine the
program is called Vinyl Deck and it comes on with reverb- underwater effect
as defalt. If I don't want every thing to sound like it is under water I
have to open the stupid program an disable reverb every time I start the
computer.

Shel-hed

It sounds like you have karaoke turned on.

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 13:26:18 -0500, FML <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My daughter's computer is exhibiting some weird behavior while playing
>music. When playing any kind of music file be it directly from a music
>CD, mp3, wma, or wav, the main voice track sounds very faint and almost
>echo-like. Other sounds seem to be OK.

Walter Mautner

FML wrote:

> My daughter's computer is exhibiting some weird behavior while playing
> music. When playing any kind of music file be it directly from a music
> CD, mp3, wma, or wav, the main voice track sounds very faint and almost
> echo-like. Other sounds seem to be OK.

Could be the effect of some "stereo enhancement" setting, or even a reverse
phase speaker output.
In control panel - sound settings, have you set the speakers to "desktop,
stereo"?
*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

WormWood

"Shel-hed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> It sounds like you have karaoke turned on.

That's it, good call.

..