Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Aptiva Boot Disk Problem

Aptiva Boot Disk Problem

Tippi Matthessohn

Greetings,

Friends have an Aptiva computer, vintage 1999, OS Win98, which will
not boot do to Kernel32.dll errors and have attempted to boot off
several boot disks, none of which are recognized. After failing with
Win98 & Win98SE boot disks downloaded a boot disk claimed to be
specifically for the Aptiva and still received i/o error and request
to remove disk before proceeding.

Prabably something simple but I'm not having any luck and they would
like to get two files off the hard drive.

Thank you

SgtMinor

Tippi Matthessohn wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Friends have an Aptiva computer, vintage 1999, OS Win98, which will
> not boot do to Kernel32.dll errors and have attempted to boot off
> several boot disks, none of which are recognized. After failing with
> Win98 & Win98SE boot disks downloaded a boot disk claimed to be
> specifically for the Aptiva and still received i/o error and request
> to remove disk before proceeding.
>
> Prabably something simple but I'm not having any luck and they would
> like to get two files off the hard drive.
>
> Thank you

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode? On boot up, just press down the
Ctrl key as soon as you see some text on the screen.

A kernel32 error on startup is most likely caused by bad RAM. Pop the
case open and check to see that the memory stick(s) are properly seated.
If there's more than one stick, remove some and try it with just one
stick in the first slot.

If you can't readily fix the problem, just remove the hard drive and
hook it up to or install it in another system.

Kenny

Free RAM tester, identified faulty RAM on a friend's PC which wouldn't
install OS.
http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/reviews...ies/docmem.htm

--

Kenny Cargill

"SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tippi Matthessohn wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Friends have an Aptiva computer, vintage 1999, OS Win98, which will
>> not boot do to Kernel32.dll errors and have attempted to boot off
>> several boot disks, none of which are recognized. After failing with
>> Win98 & Win98SE boot disks downloaded a boot disk claimed to be
>> specifically for the Aptiva and still received i/o error and request
>> to remove disk before proceeding.
>>
>> Prabably something simple but I'm not having any luck and they would
>> like to get two files off the hard drive.
>>
>> Thank you

> Have you tried starting in Safe Mode? On boot up, just press down the
> Ctrl key as soon as you see some text on the screen.
>
> A kernel32 error on startup is most likely caused by bad RAM. Pop the
> case open and check to see that the memory stick(s) are properly seated.
> If there's more than one stick, remove some and try it with just one stick
> in the first slot.
>
> If you can't readily fix the problem, just remove the hard drive and hook
> it up to or install it in another system.

Tippi Matthessohn

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 18:14:47 -0400, SgtMinor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tippi Matthessohn wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Friends have an Aptiva computer, vintage 1999, OS Win98, which will
>> not boot do to Kernel32.dll errors and have attempted to boot off
>> several boot disks, none of which are recognized. After failing with
>> Win98 & Win98SE boot disks downloaded a boot disk claimed to be
>> specifically for the Aptiva and still received i/o error and request
>> to remove disk before proceeding.
>>
>> Prabably something simple but I'm not having any luck and they would
>> like to get two files off the hard drive.
>>
>> Thank you

>Have you tried starting in Safe Mode? On boot up, just press down the
>Ctrl key as soon as you see some text on the screen.

Tried Safe Mode with same result.

>A kernel32 error on startup is most likely caused by bad RAM. Pop the
>case open and check to see that the memory stick(s) are properly seated.
> If there's more than one stick, remove some and try it with just one
>stick in the first slot.
>
>If you can't readily fix the problem, just remove the hard drive and
>hook it up to or install it in another system.

Thanks will try the RAM approach before removing hard drive and
slaving to another computer.