Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > external storage for FPGA

external storage for FPGA

Runar Gjelsvik

Hi,

I'm working on a project with a Xilinx Vertex 2 FPGA.

One of the things I want to do is to download data from a computer and onto
the FPGA. This I've managed to do using picoblaze. BUT, this is data needed
by the FPGA to do certain calculations, i.e. the data needs to be regained
after a power-on-reset. So, my question is, is it possible to either
preserve some space on the prom or on some other flash rom so that the FPGA
can store this data on this external storage, and then after a power-up it
will read the data into its local RAM.

Any tips, web-sites etc would be great!

Cheers,

Runar

Max Baker

Hi Runar,

Runar Gjelsvik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a project with a Xilinx Vertex 2 FPGA.
>
> One of the things I want to do is to download data from a computer and onto
> the FPGA. This I've managed to do using picoblaze. BUT, this is data needed
> by the FPGA to do certain calculations, i.e. the data needs to be regained
> after a power-on-reset. So, my question is, is it possible to either
> preserve some space on the prom or on some other flash rom so that the FPGA
> can store this data on this external storage, and then after a power-up it
> will read the data into its local RAM.
>
> Any tips, web-sites etc would be great!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Runar

Check out XAPP694, "Reading User Data from Configuration PROMs".

http://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/appnotes/xapp694.pdf

Cheers,
-m