Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IE wont see web, shows 'Connecting to site 1.0.0.0' then 'page not found'

IE wont see web, shows 'Connecting to site 1.0.0.0' then 'page not found'

Ian Phillips

Running XP pro IE6 etc. Connected to broadband via ADSL router. I can send
and recieve mail but not browse the web. Network is working and I can access
server in D-Link router. Another pc on the same router is fine.

I have compared settings between machines and see no differences, I have
also set all IP addresses to automatic etc.

IE was working as an internet sharing client, but required both PCs to be
switched on so I thought, 'what I need is a router!'

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Ian Phillips

Evan Platt

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:43:43 +0100, "Ian Phillips"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Running XP pro IE6 etc. Connected to broadband via ADSL router. I can send
>and recieve mail but not browse the web. Network is working and I can access
>server in D-Link router. Another pc on the same router is fine.
>
>I have compared settings between machines and see no differences, I have
>also set all IP addresses to automatic etc.
>
>IE was working as an internet sharing client, but required both PCs to be
>switched on so I thought, 'what I need is a router!'
>
>Any suggestions would be appreciated

Tools, internet options, connections, LAN settings, uncheck use a
proxy server.

Blinky the Shark

Ian Phillips wrote:
> Running XP pro IE6 etc. Connected to broadband via ADSL router. I can send
> and recieve mail but not browse the web. Network is working and I can access
> server in D-Link router. Another pc on the same router is fine.

> I have compared settings between machines and see no differences, I have
> also set all IP addresses to automatic etc.

> IE was working as an internet sharing client, but required both PCs to be
> switched on so I thought, 'what I need is a router!'

> Any suggestions would be appreciated

Sure: this isn't chat so you don't need to post the same message again
if you don't see a response in five minutes.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Ian Phillips

I posted message twice because when I went to read my own posted message it
said 'this message is no longer available on this server'

Ian

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Ian Phillips wrote:
>> Running XP pro IE6 etc. Connected to broadband via ADSL router. I can
>> send
>> and recieve mail but not browse the web. Network is working and I can
>> access
>> server in D-Link router. Another pc on the same router is fine.

>> I have compared settings between machines and see no differences, I have
>> also set all IP addresses to automatic etc.

>> IE was working as an internet sharing client, but required both PCs to be
>> switched on so I thought, 'what I need is a router!'

>> Any suggestions would be appreciated

> Sure: this isn't chat so you don't need to post the same message again
> if you don't see a response in five minutes.
>
> --
> Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
>
> Killing All Posts from GG: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
> End Of The Good GG Archive GUI: http://blinkynet.net/comp/gggui.html

Blinky the Shark

Ian Phillips wrote:

> I posted message twice because when I went to read my own posted message it
> said 'this message is no longer available on this server'

You probably looked too soon -- I used a server once that took about 15
minutes to make a post made directly to it available. That's one
reason I ditched that feed.

> Ian

> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Ian Phillips wrote:
>>> Running XP pro IE6 etc. Connected to broadband via ADSL router. I can
>>> send
>>> and recieve mail but not browse the web. Network is working and I can
>>> access
>>> server in D-Link router. Another pc on the same router is fine.

>>> I have compared settings between machines and see no differences, I have
>>> also set all IP addresses to automatic etc.

>>> IE was working as an internet sharing client, but required both PCs to be
>>> switched on so I thought, 'what I need is a router!'

>>> Any suggestions would be appreciated

>> Sure: this isn't chat so you don't need to post the same message again
>> if you don't see a response in five minutes.

>> --
>> Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

>> Killing All Posts from GG: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
>> End Of The Good GG Archive GUI: http://blinkynet.net/comp/gggui.html

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Ian Phillips

Blinky

To clarify...

The message appeared (otherwise I would not have been able to read it) but
when I looked a few minutes later (just to see if anyone had replied) my
post was greyed and when I clicked it gave the 'no longer available'
message.

Evan

Regarding the inability to access the web, The proxy server box was already
cleared.

Ian Phillips

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...