Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Memory Problem - Windows 2000

Memory Problem - Windows 2000

Chris O

My PC blue screened yesterday and when I re-booted, it came up showing only
64MB of installed memory when it actually has 192MB in it (1 x 64MB module
and 1 x 128MB module).
I ran the Belarc Advisor utility and it confirmed that there was now just
64MB installed and that there were 2 modules present - 1 x 64MB and 1 x
128MB.
I assumed the problem was probably a failure of the 128MB module so I
removed it and re-booted. System came up showing 56MB this time.
I re-installed the 128MB piece and now it shows 184MB installed and all
seems to be working again.
What I don't know is whether it was showing 184 MB or 192 MB immediately
before the failure.
Can anyone explain what may have happened to the other 8MB. Does it
indicate a fault on the 64MB module? (OS is Windows 2000 Professional SP3)

Chris O

Harrison

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 11:46:29 +0000 (UTC), "Chris O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My PC blue screened yesterday and when I re-booted, it came up showing only
>64MB of installed memory when it actually has 192MB in it (1 x 64MB module
>and 1 x 128MB module).
>I ran the Belarc Advisor utility and it confirmed that there was now just
>64MB installed and that there were 2 modules present - 1 x 64MB and 1 x
>128MB.
>I assumed the problem was probably a failure of the 128MB module so I
>removed it and re-booted. System came up showing 56MB this time.
>I re-installed the 128MB piece and now it shows 184MB installed and all
>seems to be working again.
>What I don't know is whether it was showing 184 MB or 192 MB immediately
>before the failure.
>Can anyone explain what may have happened to the other 8MB. Does it
>indicate a fault on the 64MB module? (OS is Windows 2000 Professional SP3)
>
>Chris O

The missing 8 is allocated to shared video memory because you have a system with on-board graphics adapter.
Reseating the 128 stick cured the problem and would suggest that it wasn't seated properly to begin with.

Chris O

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:

> >My PC blue screened yesterday and when I re-booted, it came up showing

only
> >64MB of installed memory when it actually has 192MB in it (1 x 64MB

module
> >and 1 x 128MB module).
> >I ran the Belarc Advisor utility and it confirmed that there was now just
> >64MB installed and that there were 2 modules present - 1 x 64MB and 1 x
> >128MB.
> >I assumed the problem was probably a failure of the 128MB module so I
> >removed it and re-booted. System came up showing 56MB this time.
> >I re-installed the 128MB piece and now it shows 184MB installed and all
> >seems to be working again.
> >What I don't know is whether it was showing 184 MB or 192 MB immediately
> >before the failure.
> >Can anyone explain what may have happened to the other 8MB. Does it
> >indicate a fault on the 64MB module? (OS is Windows 2000 Professional

SP3)

> >Chris O

> The missing 8 is allocated to shared video memory because you have a

system with on-board graphics adapter.
> Reseating the 128 stick cured the problem and would suggest that it wasn't

seated properly to begin with.

Thanks for that - the only thing I still don't quite understand is why it
reported 64MB when the problem first occurred (with the 128MB module still
in place) , but dropped to 56MB when I removed the module completely.

Chris O

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:

> >My PC blue screened yesterday and when I re-booted, it came up showing

only
> >64MB of installed memory when it actually has 192MB in it (1 x 64MB

module
> >and 1 x 128MB module).
> >I ran the Belarc Advisor utility and it confirmed that there was now just
> >64MB installed and that there were 2 modules present - 1 x 64MB and 1 x
> >128MB.
> >I assumed the problem was probably a failure of the 128MB module so I
> >removed it and re-booted. System came up showing 56MB this time.
> >I re-installed the 128MB piece and now it shows 184MB installed and all
> >seems to be working again.
> >What I don't know is whether it was showing 184 MB or 192 MB immediately
> >before the failure.
> >Can anyone explain what may have happened to the other 8MB. Does it
> >indicate a fault on the 64MB module? (OS is Windows 2000 Professional

SP3)

> >Chris O

> The missing 8 is allocated to shared video memory because you have a

system with on-board graphics adapter.
> Reseating the 128 stick cured the problem and would suggest that it wasn't

seated properly to begin with.

Update on earlier reply - this morning memory went missing again, but this
time Belarc Advisor tells me the second slot was 16MB instead of 128MB.
Reseated the module again and I now have the full 128MB once more. Is this
likely to be just dirty contacts or could it point to the memory module
being faulty - or a mother board problem ?

Harrison

>Update on earlier reply - this morning memory went missing again, but this
>time Belarc Advisor tells me the second slot was 16MB instead of 128MB.
>Reseated the module again and I now have the full 128MB once more. Is this
>likely to be just dirty contacts or could it point to the memory module
>being faulty - or a mother board problem ?

Yes, to all.