Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Setting up a home network

Setting up a home network

john

Hi,

I have win xp

Here is the diagram

internet

router

---------computer 1

computer 2----printer

How would I set up a wired home network that would enable both computers to
share files and printers?

I've tried using the wizards but I think i've messed it up or did not choose
a correct setting as the home networks never came to exist.

both computers have winxp

one has zonealarm and the other has norton internet security

currently, both computers have access to the internet using the above
diagram, just no file sharing and printer sharing functions

thanks,
chuck

john

I have win xp home

thanks,
chuck

"john" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have win xp
>
> Here is the diagram
>
> internet
> |

> router
> |

> ---------computer 1
> |

> computer 2----printer
>

> How would I set up a wired home network that would enable both computers
> to share files and printers?
>
> I've tried using the wizards but I think i've messed it up or did not
> choose a correct setting as the home networks never came to exist.
>
> both computers have winxp
>
> one has zonealarm and the other has norton internet security
>
> currently, both computers have access to the internet using the above
> diagram, just no file sharing and printer sharing functions
>
> thanks,
> chuck

Duane Arnold

john wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have win xp
>
> Here is the diagram
>
> internet
> |

> router
> |

> ---------computer 1
> |

> computer 2----printer
>

> How would I set up a wired home network that would enable both computers
> to share files and printers?
>
> I've tried using the wizards but I think i've messed it up or did not
> choose a correct setting as the home networks never came to exist.
>
> both computers have winxp
>
> one has zonealarm and the other has norton internet security
>
> currently, both computers have access to the internet using the above
> diagram, just no file sharing and printer sharing functions

The personal FW(s) are blocking the Windows Networking ports and you need to
set the rules on the PFW(s) to open the ports.

http://www.petri.co.il/what's_port_445_in_w2k_xp_2003.htm

I suggest that you disable the PFW(s) and then make sure things are working
with the networking before enabling them again and setting PFW(s) to allow
networking.

http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

Duane