Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard drive Problem/Data Recovery

Hard drive Problem/Data Recovery

Panos100m@gmail.com

Hello

I recently experienced a hard drive problem, my hard drive (IDE) which
is a Hitachi 250 GB 7200rpm after carrying it to a friend's house
stop working properly ..is not recognized by the bios and even though
that at the start spins normally and makes the normal sound after a
while it makes a clicking noise,
The drive contains 160 gb of data of which 50 gb (pictures and
documents) are really important .
The shop that I bought it from can refund it or exchange it
alternatively I can return it back to Hitachi and get a replacement one
..
"But they cannot recover my data or repair the hard drive."
(I don't know how legal is that and I question it)
The problem is that the hard drive contains vital data for me and I
cannot pay more than 100 for it.
The cheapest company that I found http://www.easyrecovery.co.uk/ will
charge me about 250 to recover the data.
One guy in a pc shop that looked at my drive said that it might be the
chip board of the drive and if I could find a similar one he can change
it...
I don't want to loose my data and I can't afford to pay to much,
Please if anyone can recommend something , a cheaper company ..or any
shop,person that can fix it in the U.K ...or even a guide to try to fix
it my self as a last resort I would appreciate it a lot .
Please reply to this forum or e-mail me at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Thanks Peter

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

|>Hello
|>
|>I recently experienced a hard drive problem, my hard drive (IDE) which
|>is a Hitachi 250 GB 7200rpm after carrying it to a friend's house
|>stop working properly ..is not recognized by the bios and even though
|>that at the start spins normally and makes the normal sound after a
|>while it makes a clicking noise,

Open it up and make sure the cables are secure,

A drive will make normal sounds anytime power is applied, even without
cables attached.

--
Ever wonder what the rest of the world is searching for?
http://tinyurl.com/6ow99

dworkin

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hello
>
> I recently experienced a hard drive problem, my hard drive (IDE) which
> is a Hitachi 250 GB 7200rpm after carrying it to a friend's house
> stop working properly ..is not recognized by the bios and even though
> that at the start spins normally and makes the normal sound after a
> while it makes a clicking noise,
> The drive contains 160 gb of data of which 50 gb (pictures and
> documents) are really important .
> The shop that I bought it from can refund it or exchange it
> alternatively I can return it back to Hitachi and get a replacement
> one .
> "But they cannot recover my data or repair the hard drive."
> (I don't know how legal is that and I question it)
> The problem is that the hard drive contains vital data for me and I
> cannot pay more than £100 for it.
> The cheapest company that I found http://www.easyrecovery.co.uk/ will
> charge me about £250 to recover the data.
> One guy in a pc shop that looked at my drive said that it might be the
> chip board of the drive and if I could find a similar one he can
> change it...
> I don't want to loose my data and I can't afford to pay to much,
> Please if anyone can recommend something , a cheaper company ..or any
> shop,person that can fix it in the U.K ...or even a guide to try to
> fix it my self as a last resort I would appreciate it a lot .
> Please reply to this forum or e-mail me at (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Thanks Peter

Peter, I'm really sorry but if the drive is dead the only ones who can
get data off it are professional data recovery firms. I used an online
currency converter to see how much 250 pounds is in US dollars (cause
that's where I am) and it comes out to around $443. This is a good
price for data retrieval; the firm I recommend to my clients is
DriveSavers (www.drivesavers.com) here in the US, and they start at
around $500. The clicking sound indicates a mechanical problem and I
very much doubt that switching the drive's board will help.

The only other thing you can do is try the freezing method. I've not
done this myself, but people whom I respect have and say it sometimes
works. You have to put the drive in a water-proof container, like a
plastic zip-lock bag and put it in the freezer for a number of hours.
Obviously, you have to be really really sure the drive doesn't get
moist at all. Then you take the drive out of the freezer and *quickly*
attach it to a machine and if it will boot get all your data off Right
Quick.

(Insert the usual stuff about learning how to back up and doing it
regularly but you already *know* that, don't you?)

Good luck,

Dworkin
--
"That'll be 10 quid."

MrGrumpy

I guess in the future, you might think of backups
Lesson learned?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
[...]

Kooni

Dworkin thanks a lot for the reply i will try the freezing method ...
Pennyw i am not sure what do you mean ..is not quite the problem but
thanks for trying to be helpful
MrGrumpy lesson learned :/

dworkin

Kooni wrote:

> Dworkin thanks a lot for the reply i will try the freezing method ...
> Pennyw i am not sure what do you mean ..is not quite the problem but
> thanks for trying to be helpful
> MrGrumpy lesson learned :/

Let me know if it works - I'm curious.

Dworkin
--
"That'll be 10 quid."

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Kooni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Dworkin thanks a lot for the reply i will try the freezing method ...
|>Pennyw i am not sure what do you mean ..is not quite the problem but
|>thanks for trying to be helpful
|>MrGrumpy lesson learned :/

I reread it, ya I can see the confusion. Open Your case up, not the
HD, and make sure the cables are attached to the HD and Mother Board