Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Portable VOIP

Portable VOIP

Steve Freides

I'm going to be travelling overseas for a few weeks and would like not to
worry about long-distance phone charges as I may have to be on the phone for
extended periods of time. I have never used voice-over-IP but would like to
know if there is a solution that I can carry, along with my laptop (IBM
ThinkPad w/ docking station, lots of USB ports, ethernet connection, PC Card
slot, etc.), that would let me make and possibly even receive phone calls
regardless of my location, as long as I had Internet access, around the
world.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

Evan Platt

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:28:48 -0400, "Steve Freides"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm going to be travelling overseas for a few weeks and would like not to
>worry about long-distance phone charges as I may have to be on the phone for
>extended periods of time. I have never used voice-over-IP but would like to
>know if there is a solution that I can carry, along with my laptop (IBM
>ThinkPad w/ docking station, lots of USB ports, ethernet connection, PC Card
>slot, etc.), that would let me make and possibly even receive phone calls
>regardless of my location, as long as I had Internet access, around the
>world.

Many of the VoIP providers provide a software phone. You'd just need a
headset that plugs into the mike / earphones on the laptop.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I'm going to be travelling overseas for a few weeks and would like not to
|>worry about long-distance phone charges as I may have to be on the phone for
|>extended periods of time. I have never used voice-over-IP but would like to
|>know if there is a solution that I can carry, along with my laptop (IBM
|>ThinkPad w/ docking station, lots of USB ports, ethernet connection, PC Card
|>slot, etc.), that would let me make and possibly even receive phone calls
|>regardless of my location, as long as I had Internet access, around the
|>world.

Check out Skype, their motto is " The whole world can talk for free"

http://www.skype.com/ and it's free

--
http://www.planarity.net/

Toolman Tim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |>I'm going to be travelling overseas for a few weeks and would like not
> |>worry about long-distance phone charges as I may have to be on the phone
> for
> |>extended periods of time. I have never used voice-over-IP but would
> like to
> |>know if there is a solution that I can carry, along with my laptop (IBM
> |>ThinkPad w/ docking station, lots of USB ports, ethernet connection, PC
> Card
> |>slot, etc.), that would let me make and possibly even receive phone
> calls
> |>regardless of my location, as long as I had Internet access, around the
> |>world.
>
> Check out Skype, their motto is " The whole world can talk for free"
>
> http://www.skype.com/ and it's free

My company CEO and VP just put that on their PCs at work. We have contacts
in Chile and the phone costs from the US were excessive. So far they've had
good luck with it.

Preesi

> "Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> I'm going to be travelling overseas for a few weeks and would like
>>> not to worry about long-distance phone charges as I may have to be
>>> on the phone for extended periods of time. I have never used
>>> voice-over-IP but would like to know if there is a solution that I
>>> can carry, along with my laptop (IBM ThinkPad w/ docking station,
>>> lots of USB ports, ethernet connection, PC Card slot, etc.), that
>>> would let me make and possibly even receive phone calls regardless
>>> of my location, as long as I had Internet access, around the world.

> Check out Skype, their motto is " The whole world can talk for free"
>
> http://www.skype.com/ and it's free

I hate to say this but Ive been using SIP Phone for crank calls for two
years
you get 5 minutes free calls a day.
It doesnt show on CID and its the best way to verify a mans not married

--
preesi
~~~~~~~~~

WormWood

"Preesi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>> Check out Skype, their motto is " The whole world can talk for free"
>>
>> http://www.skype.com/ and it's free

> I hate to say this but Ive been using SIP Phone for crank calls for
> two
> years
> you get 5 minutes free calls a day.
> It doesnt show on CID and its the best way to verify a mans not
> married

uhm...would you run that past one more time?

WCH

Steve Freides wrote:
> I'm going to be travelling overseas for a few weeks and would like not to
> worry about long-distance phone charges as I may have to be on the phone for
> extended periods of time. I have never used voice-over-IP but would like to
> know if there is a solution that I can carry, along with my laptop (IBM
> ThinkPad w/ docking station, lots of USB ports, ethernet connection, PC Card
> slot, etc.), that would let me make and possibly even receive phone calls
> regardless of my location, as long as I had Internet access, around the
> world.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -S-

I'll vote for Vonage. You can pay to create a "soft phone" that's
assessable from your PC using simply a headphone with mic as some other
solutions work, but what I like about Vonage is that it's your everyday
phone that is "transportable". Any internet connection (preferably
high-speed of course) that I plug the tiny Vonage adapter into becomes
the phone jack for my home phone. Anybody who calls you at your regular
number will get you no matter where your Vonage is connected. $25 a
month for a number that's local to your area code (you can even have
your existing number transferred), unlimited local and long distance in
US and Canada, cheap overseas rates, and every feature you can think of
(conference calling, call waiting, voicemail, etc etc). It will send
you an email when you get voicemail. You can have calls automatically
forwarded. You can access every aspect of your account, including
voicemail, from any internet-connected computer. Very flexible, very
cheap, and the people who call you don't know if you're in Brooklyn or
Bangkok. There IS a charge for overseas calls, so solutions like Skype
might be preferable in that regard, but Vonage is certainly worth
considering.