Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't Reply to Answers Provided on this NG

Can't Reply to Answers Provided on this NG

Martin

Hello,

Since reformatting my hard drive, I've noticed a difference or two.

The first is that I can't reply to answers provided to questions that I
posted here. The second is that, prior to reformatting, if I flagged my
post, the NG's title would become bold red when anyone replied to my
question. The latter no longer occurs.

If it's relevant I'm using XP SP1 and OE6 SP1.

Any assistance is always appreciated. Thanks!

Martin

Toolman Tim

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:L5aHe.512$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Since reformatting my hard drive, I've noticed a difference or two.
>
> The first is that I can't reply to answers provided to questions that I
> posted here. The second is that, prior to reformatting, if I flagged my
> post, the NG's title would become bold red when anyone replied to my
> question. The latter no longer occurs.
>
> If it's relevant I'm using XP SP1 and OE6 SP1.

Of course it's relevant. Get that ol' SP2 in place though...

YOU set up OE to highlight the posts. It's not a default. It's probably
something in View or Tools/Message Rules.

As for as not replying to posts, I've never ran into that before. Have you
considered using a different newsreader?

Old Gringo

Martin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Since reformatting my hard drive, I've noticed a difference or two.
>
> The first is that I can't reply to answers provided to questions that I
> posted here. The second is that, prior to reformatting, if I flagged my
> post, the NG's title would become bold red when anyone replied to my
> question. The latter no longer occurs.
>
> If it's relevant I'm using XP SP1 and OE6 SP1.
>
> Any assistance is always appreciated. Thanks!
>
> Martin

As good a time as any to give it a try.

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life

Blinky the Shark

Toolman Tim wrote:

> Have you considered using a different newsreader?

(than OE)

[sfx: screeching tires]

Whoa! T-TIM said THAT?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>
>> Have you considered using a different newsreader?

> (than OE)
>
> [sfx: screeching tires]
>
> Whoa! T-TIM said THAT?

Yeah - just because I've never switched, doesn't mean I don't see the
inherent problems with OE, and the advantages of other software ;o)

dworkin

Martin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Since reformatting my hard drive, I've noticed a difference or two.
>
> The first is that I can't reply to answers provided to questions that
> I posted here. The second is that, prior to reformatting, if I flagged
> my post, the NG's title would become bold red when anyone replied to
> my question. The latter no longer occurs.
>
> If it's relevant I'm using XP SP1 and OE6 SP1.
>
> Any assistance is always appreciated. Thanks!
>
> Martin

Did you set up your email properly? Can you send regular mail? Test by
sending yourself an email. If you can't send, then you didn't set up
the smtp server details correctly. Check the information on your ISP's
website (assuming you are using your ISP for mail servers). You have to
have some sort of smtp settings to send email and to post to ng's.

As for the flagging, I bow to the Toolman's expertise because I haven't
used OE in years and never for a newsreader.

Dworkin
--
"That'll be 10 quid."

FML

dworkin wrote:
> Martin wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>Since reformatting my hard drive, I've noticed a difference or two.
>>
>>The first is that I can't reply to answers provided to questions that
>>I posted here. The second is that, prior to reformatting, if I flagged
>>my post, the NG's title would become bold red when anyone replied to
>>my question. The latter no longer occurs.
>>
>>If it's relevant I'm using XP SP1 and OE6 SP1.
>>
>>Any assistance is always appreciated. Thanks!
>>
>>Martin

> Did you set up your email properly? Can you send regular mail? Test by
> sending yourself an email. If you can't send, then you didn't set up
> the smtp server details correctly. Check the information on your ISP's
> website (assuming you are using your ISP for mail servers). You have to
> have some sort of smtp settings to send email and to post to ng's.
>
> As for the flagging, I bow to the Toolman's expertise because I haven't
> used OE in years and never for a newsreader.
>
> Dworkin

You should change your sig to "That'll be 113.964 NOK".

Shawn

i had the same problem and was told to download sp2 which fixed the not able
to reply problem

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:L5aHe.512$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Since reformatting my hard drive, I've noticed a difference or two.
>
> The first is that I can't reply to answers provided to questions that I
> posted here. The second is that, prior to reformatting, if I flagged my
> post, the NG's title would become bold red when anyone replied to my
> question. The latter no longer occurs.
>
> If it's relevant I'm using XP SP1 and OE6 SP1.
>
> Any assistance is always appreciated. Thanks!
>
> Martin

John Spieo \(MSCE\)

What newsreader are you using to read/post?

What error, if any, are you receiving when trying to reply post?

Unlimited newsgroup access as low as $2.95
http://www.newsgroups-download.com/

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:L5aHe.512$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Since reformatting my hard drive, I've noticed a difference or two.
>
> The first is that I can't reply to answers provided to questions that I
> posted here. The second is that, prior to reformatting, if I flagged my
> post, the NG's title would become bold red when anyone replied to my
> question. The latter no longer occurs.
>
> If it's relevant I'm using XP SP1 and OE6 SP1.
>
> Any assistance is always appreciated. Thanks!
>
> Martin

Gordon

"John Spieo (MSCE)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZgqHe.58658$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What newsreader are you using to read/post?

JEEZE! If you right-click on the message, choose Properties and then Details
IT WILL TELL YOU WHAT FRIGGIN NEWSREADER THE OP IS USING!

And you say you're an "MCSE". Jeeeze, I'm glad I didn't do that if you are
representative of that lot.

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Ubuntu Hoary, Pan, Thunderbird and Firefox