Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > bios recovery

bios recovery

Buffalo

news:0tbHe.2713$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> **SS**

> > It won't, but how can you be sure the BIOS is corrupt and not some
> > software
> > problem as it happened while he was installing a program?
> >

> Some bad software installation isn't going to prevent a POST. A corrupt
> BIOS, loose component, bad mobo, bad PS or something like that will prevent
> a POST. Either way, I wouldn't be playing around with a BIOS flash until it
> was proven that it is the last thing possible to try.

Are you 100% postive about a 'bad' software installation?
I agree that the OP should try another solution first, before he flashes the
BIOS.
As you pointed out, a failing PSU or a bad contact or connection could also be
causing the problem, perhaps even an overheating cpu.
If I was the OP, I would sure look at the 'innards' to make sure that it is
clean and that all the proper fans spin up.
Also, I would remove and reseat the vid card and memory along with checking the
connections.

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:0tbHe.2713$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > It won't, but how can you be sure the BIOS is corrupt and not some
>> > software
>> > problem as it happened while he was installing a program?
>> >

>> Some bad software installation isn't going to prevent a POST. A corrupt
>> BIOS, loose component, bad mobo, bad PS or something like that will
>> prevent
>> a POST. Either way, I wouldn't be playing around with a BIOS flash until
>> it
>> was proven that it is the last thing possible to try.

> Are you 100% postive about a 'bad' software installation?
> I agree that the OP should try another solution first, before he flashes
> the
> BIOS.
> As you pointed out, a failing PSU or a bad contact or connection could
> also be
> causing the problem, perhaps even an overheating cpu.
> If I was the OP, I would sure look at the 'innards' to make sure that it
> is
> clean and that all the proper fans spin up.
> Also, I would remove and reseat the vid card and memory along with
> checking the
> connections.

In order for software to damage the BIOS code in the motherboard, and stop
it from even doing a POST,it would have to be designed to either modify BIOS
settings in CMOS or flash new code. Installing typical software on a PC is
*not* going to do that. Mess up the hard drive, yes. Mess up the registry,
yes. Anything that a system restore can't fix? Seldom. Stop a motherboard
from booting? Very, very unlikely.

Now, if he said he was flashing his BIOS and it screwed up, I could see a no
POST problem. Installing an MP3 program? I really doubt it.
http://www.sonydigital-link.com/dna/.../ss31.asp?l=en

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>In order for software to damage the BIOS code in the motherboard, and stop
|>it from even doing a POST,it would have to be designed to either modify BIOS
|>settings in CMOS or flash new code. Installing typical software on a PC is
|>*not* going to do that. Mess up the hard drive, yes. Mess up the registry,
|>yes. Anything that a system restore can't fix? Seldom. Stop a motherboard
|>from booting? Very, very unlikely.

"Chernobyl virus" how soon they forget.
--
http://www.planarity.net/

usr

Thanks for all the pFebruaryy'll try to clear things up a little bit.
I was installing sonicstage 3.1 software. I use a firewall and the software
kept trying to reach various site that the firewall blocked.
At some stage during the install everything foze. I rebooted a few times
sometimes getting a post but always freezing at what point I don't exactly
remember. I did get something asking for a floppy but again can't be exact
on the details. After that I get nothing, blank screen.
I dualboot with linux and xp sp2.
Been trying to fix my clock, another issue. Maybe another ng for that one.
I've no idea about stealing ip addresses
I've cleared the cmos. I shorted it and for good measure removed the
battery.
I've downloaded the bios and it says '
do not flash using a floppy
do not flash if while the computer is running
do not flash if you don't know what your doing.'
The computer parts are all new and have been running well
since I built it in February 05. And it definitely happen when I was
installing software(sonic stage)

I will start swapping parts to and from another computer. I think really the
main parts are the cpu, motherboard, powersupply.
I'll post any new info when I'm done.
computer parts
msi k7n2 delta2 platinum nforce2 ultra400
amd athlon 2800 cpu
seagate 120GB sata hdd
80GB ata hdd
Geil 1 GB(512x2) pc300 ultra platinum
450w ps Don't remember the brand but it's a good quality one.
abit radeon r9600 graphic card

Toolman Tim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |>In order for software to damage the BIOS code in the motherboard, and
> stop
> |>it from even doing a POST,it would have to be designed to either modify
> BIOS
> |>settings in CMOS or flash new code. Installing typical software on a PC
> is
> |>*not* going to do that. Mess up the hard drive, yes. Mess up the
> registry,
> |>yes. Anything that a system restore can't fix? Seldom. Stop a
> motherboard
> |>from booting? Very, very unlikely.
>
> "Chernobyl virus" how soon they forget.

And is there anything in the original post that would indicate something of
that nature? The Chernobyl virus is only able to run on W9x systems. While
the post didn't say what version of Windows he runs, most users are on XP.
But it is possible, I guess, that the OP is running W9x with no antivirus
software installed. That would be rather foolish though.

Toolman Tim

news:WmeHe.2774$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> stop
>> BIOS
>> is
>> registry,
>> motherboard
>>
>> "Chernobyl virus" how soon they forget.
>>

> And is there anything in the original post that would indicate something
> of that nature? The Chernobyl virus is only able to run on W9x systems.
> While the post didn't say what version of Windows he runs, most users are
> on XP. But it is possible, I guess, that the OP is running W9x with no
> antivirus software installed. That would be rather foolish though.

Well, that's cleared up <g>! The OP added a new post with the information
that he does have AV software and he is running XP. So no Chernobyl virus
;o)

Buffalo

news:2vdHe.3341$(E-Mail Removed)...

> In order for software to damage the BIOS code in the motherboard, and stop
> it from even doing a POST,it would have to be designed to either modify BIOS
> settings in CMOS or flash new code. Installing typical software on a PC is
> *not* going to do that.

I never said that the program install damaged the BIOS.
Hell, we don't even know if it is the BIOS or not.
Heck, it may even be a capacitor that is going bad, since it got worse and
worse.