Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows xp hibernates spontaneously and won't restart

Windows xp hibernates spontaneously and won't restart

Frank

Can some kind soul help me to return my Win XP pc to operation - today
while I was using windows explorer a screen appeared that said
...."windows is preparing to hibernate" which it did and was
unresponsive. The only way I could get back to windows was to push the
power on button. When I did that windows resumed to the last screen I
was working on and immediately went back to hibernation and was
unresponsive.

I tried F8 when windows was booting up but what I got was a screen
that said "system restart has been paused and gave two
to system boot menus.

I tried continue with system restart but that merely took me back to
the hibernate sequence - not knowing what the other option does I did
not try it.

Previous to encountering this problem I was doing some routine
maintenance as follows:

Ran SFC Scannow from Run
Ran Disk Error Checking
Ran Adaware
Ran Spybot
Ran Bazooka trojan checker
Downloaded and installed Spyware Blaster
Updated the HDD Life utility

The most recent program along with windows explorer I had running at
the time of the hibernation problem was the HDD Life utility
immediately after the update. I have learned that others have
experienced problems with the HDD Life upgrade.

I will remove this program if I can get windows to run - can someone
provide guidance on how to get around this hibernation curse and get
back to an operational windows?

Thanks for any assistance

Frank

Toolman Tim

"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Can some kind soul help me to return my Win XP pc to operation - today
> while I was using windows explorer a screen appeared that said
> ..."windows is preparing to hibernate" which it did and was
> unresponsive. The only way I could get back to windows was to push the
> power on button. When I did that windows resumed to the last screen I
> was working on and immediately went back to hibernation and was
> unresponsive.
>
> I tried F8 when windows was booting up but what I got was a screen
> that said "system restart has been paused and gave two
> to system boot menus.
>
> I tried continue with system restart but that merely took me back to
> the hibernate sequence - not knowing what the other option does I did
> not try it.

Go ahead and do that second option. What hibernate does is write a big file
to the HD with the exact state of Windows. That is a "restoration" file. If
hibernate doesn't work, deleting the restoration file will often allow the
computer to restart normally.

<snip>

Good luck! Please post back with your results.

ECLiPSE 2002

T Tim

Thanks for the help - it seems to be back to operational status

Frank

==

Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:00:14 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> Can some kind soul help me to return my Win XP pc to operation - today
>> while I was using windows explorer a screen appeared that said
>> ..."windows is preparing to hibernate" which it did and was
>> unresponsive. The only way I could get back to windows was to push the
>> power on button. When I did that windows resumed to the last screen I
>> was working on and immediately went back to hibernation and was
>> unresponsive.
>>
>> I tried F8 when windows was booting up but what I got was a screen
>> that said "system restart has been paused and gave two
>> to system boot menus.
>>
>> I tried continue with system restart but that merely took me back to
>> the hibernate sequence - not knowing what the other option does I did
>> not try it.

>Go ahead and do that second option. What hibernate does is write a big file
>to the HD with the exact state of Windows. That is a "restoration" file. If
>hibernate doesn't work, deleting the restoration file will often allow the
>computer to restart normally.
>
><snip>
>
>Good luck! Please post back with your results.

Toolman Tim

You betcha!

"ECLiPSE 2002" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> T Tim
>
> Thanks for the help - it seems to be back to operational status
>
> Frank
>
> ==
>
> Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:00:14 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>
>>> Can some kind soul help me to return my Win XP pc to operation - today
>>> while I was using windows explorer a screen appeared that said
>>> ..."windows is preparing to hibernate" which it did and was
>>> unresponsive. The only way I could get back to windows was to push the
>>> power on button. When I did that windows resumed to the last screen I
>>> was working on and immediately went back to hibernation and was
>>> unresponsive.
>>>
>>> I tried F8 when windows was booting up but what I got was a screen
>>> that said "system restart has been paused and gave two
>>> to system boot menus.
>>>
>>> I tried continue with system restart but that merely took me back to
>>> the hibernate sequence - not knowing what the other option does I did
>>> not try it.

>>Go ahead and do that second option. What hibernate does is write a big
>>file
>>to the HD with the exact state of Windows. That is a "restoration" file.
>>If
>>hibernate doesn't work, deleting the restoration file will often allow the
>>computer to restart normally.
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>Good luck! Please post back with your results.

trout

Toolman Tim wrote:

> "ECLiPSE 2002" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Thanks for the help - it seems to be back to operational status
>>
>> Frank

> You betcha!

It's always a good sign that a major problem's been fixed, when the
OP posts back from a different account.
--
Good to know that, um, someone was helped.

Toolman Tim

news:42ec3f24$0$80388$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>
>> "ECLiPSE 2002" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Thanks for the help - it seems to be back to operational status
>>>
>>> Frank

>> You betcha!

> It's always a good sign that a major problem's been fixed, when the
> OP posts back from a different account.

Quite true...

MagicFigNewton MagicFigNewton is offline
Junior Member

I'm having a similar issue. I think it either has to do with SuperAntiSpyWare or my video "card" drivers.

Deleting the hibernation file doesn't work. However, safemode does work. Clearing out all StartUp programs on MSCONFIG doesn't do a damn thing.

I'm almost sure there is SOMETHING in the registry telling windows to go directly to hibernation at startup. Unfortunately I have no idea where something like that would be located in that vast jumble of sh*t we call the registry.

So, can anyone help? If you need any more info I will be more than happy to provide it.

(I'm pretty good with computers so "baby steps" aren't necessary)

EDIT
By the way, I have no "hibernation options" when I go to "Display Properties - Screensaver - Power etc..." Not that I would expect to have that option in safe mode but nevertheless I decided to include that info. Also, this is a laptop.

Okay, after searching for "hiber" in the registry I came up with one entry-- "HibernationPreviouslyEnabled"-- w/ a value of 1. I'm going to change it to 0 and see what happens. I shall report back.

2nd EDIT
Okay, that didn't work. Also, I forgot to mention that I am running Windows XP Home (Build 2600 SP2).

Last edited by MagicFigNewton; 08-17-2008 at 08:32 PM..

MagicFigNewton MagicFigNewton is offline
Junior Member

So nobody here cares enough to help me?

1RealTruth 1RealTruth is offline
Junior Member

MagicFigNewton. I see this is a really old message, I'm hoping you got this resolved. I can tell you one thing. It is NOT SuperAntiSpyware that is causing your problem.

Do you have a second monitor plugged into your computer? You may be starting to that device instead. If this is a laptop, depending on the model, you may have to hit the keys <FN>+<F8> to switch display sources.

I've been working on computers for over 27 years and using SuperAntiSpyware for 4-1/2 years. SuperAntiSpyware has never caused a display problem on any of my or my customers computers.

If you would please let me know what the problem turned out to be I would be appreciative.

Take care.

Pope Pope is offline
Junior Member

Hi

I wonder if you can help me? My son has an Acer Netbook, or is is Notebook, never sure which one. It's the little cheap thing that doesn't have a CD drive. It's used to play PC games (no internet use), and the "Windows Preparing to Hibernate" has come up. I can't even switch it off. It's completely stuck. No idea ho this has happened. Perhaps he pressed some keys he shouldn't have (he's only 5). Would really appreciate so help on how to get rid of this. Thanks