Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Viewing movies, mpgs, etc

Viewing movies, mpgs, etc

robel

How does one joins movies, mpegs, etc. sent over muliple emails.

Unk

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:06:36 GMT, "robel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How does one joins movies, mpegs, etc. sent over muliple emails.
>
>(E-Mail Removed)

It could be combine, multiple or yEnc files.

Combine:
"xxx.mpg" (01/50) tells us this is part 1 of 50 parts.
Use "Combine and Decode" to join:
Highlight the files you want to combine & decode.
(Click the first, hold "Shift" or "Control"
to select the rest of the group)
From Outlook: Select "Message", "Combine & Decode"

Multiple:
For multiple files (xxx.mpg.001, xxx.mpg.002, etc):
"xxx.mpg.050" tells us this is part 50 of the file but we have
no idea how many parts are needed unless there is also a "xxx.bat"
file which is the stand-alone joiner, and lists the number of files
in the set. To join without "xxx.bat", you MUST have "xxx.mpg.001".
"xxx.mpg.001" is the first file of the set and the rest of the set will be
appended to it as "xxx.mpg". If "xxx.mpg.000" is missing, the joined
set may not be complete as "xxx.mpg.000" has the checksum and
the number of parts needed to make a complete file.

Save all the files to a folder, then combine them with the
"xxx.bat". If "xxx.bat" is missing, then use one of the below
programs to join the files using "xxx.mpg.001" as the start file.
"MasterSplitter" http://www.tomasoft.com or
"HJ-Split" http://freebyte.com/hjsplit/ or
"Just Another Splitter" http://www.jas-etc.com or
"GSplit" http://www.gdgsoft.com/gsplit/

"r00" is a piece of a split WinRAR file. It's a compression file similar
to Winzip. You need the first part "xxxx.rar" to expand the set.
http://www.rarlab.com

Download ALL the parts, DON'T "join" this type of file. Save the parts,
then double click "xxxx.rar" to begin the decompression.

"p01" is a PAR file used for correcting errors.
Par files are used to rebuild missing files in a spanned archive.
Smart Par
http://www.disc-chord.com/smartpar/
http://www.disc-chord.com/smartpar/info.html
http://ice.prohosting.com/smartpar/r...PAR_0.11d1.zip
http://www.geocities.com/smartpar_1/smartpar.zip

SmartPar Tutorial
http://www.smr-usenet.com/tutor/smartpar.shtml
http://www.slyck.com/smartpar.php
http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=6

gangle

"robel" wrote
> How does one joins movies, mpegs, etc. sent over muliple emails.

It sounds like you don't know the difference between email
and newsgroup multipart binary posts. (Email uses the
SMTP protocol, usually using MIME encoding; posts use
the NNTP protocol, usually encoded with either Uuencoding
or yEnc. To refer to NG posts as email is like concluding that
a mule and a horse are different names for the same animal
because they have a high degree of physical similarities.)

If my assumption of your confusion is valid, then my canned
answer for OE-to-retrieve-binaries should help:

To assemble a multi-part post using Outlook Express,
click part 1, then, while holding down the Ctrl key,
click each of the remaining parts. When you have
highlighted the last part, Right click and choose
"Combine and Decode." Make sure all parts are in
order in the window that pops up, then click "OK."
When all parts have downloaded and been decoded,
a window will appear with the File Icon in the
bottom left corner (OE4) or in the "Attach"
line (OE5 & 6). Right click on the icon, choose
"save as" and, within the browser window that
appears, choose "Desktop" as the place to initially
save it. If you want to keep it, you can later CUT and
PASTE it from Desktop to any folder you want.

IMPORTANT NOTE: In OE4 it is possible to download
a multi-part binary while simultaneously reading or
posting to other NGs, or reading/sending email -- But:
in the "upgraded" OE5 & 6, downloading a multi-part file
makes the program UNUSABLE for most other functions
while the process goes on; so, if you frequently want to
download multi-part binary files, it's more practical
to use a dedicated news reading and posting program,
such as Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent):
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
or Xnews (free):
http://xnews.newsguy.com/
or Gravity (free):
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tba...ty/start1.html
for downloading binaries.
Also, for $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
for downloading binaries (no text):
http://www.newsbin.com/ .
You could still use OE 4, 5, or 6 as an email program
and to view/post to text-only NGs, while using one of
the above programs to retrieve binaries.

About yEnc:

yEnc is a type of binary-to-text encoding that has much
less text "overhead" (about 3% more than the actual file
size) than Uuencoded files (about 30% more than actual
file size). For example, a 10 MB video file will be -- when
converted to text for uploading and downloading:
With yEnc: 10.3 MB -- With Uuencoding: 13 MB.
So, it's easy to see why it's more efficient for both
uploaders and downloaders to use yEnc.
Unfortunately, OE does not internally decode yEnc
encoded binaries, and never will because Microsoft
just doesn't give a **** about OE as a newsreader.
You must use a 3rd-party program to achieve this, the
easiest being yProxy:
http://www.brawnylads.com/software/ , but 3rd-party
software is cumbersome at best. Since most multipart
binaries are uploaded using yEnc, you really need to
install and learn to use a dedicated news reader that
decodes yEnc internally -- see the list above above
(or do a search for "newsreaders").

About RARs and PARs:

RAR is widely used to archive multimedia type files (.avi,
..mpg, .mov, .rm, etc.) splitting them into sequentially
numbered RAR parts. You need WinRar to decompress
and reassemble the archive so that the multimedia file
can be extracted:
http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
(shareware, but always usable, even after the trial period).
Tutorial:
http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=5

PAR or PAR2 files are "wild card" type files used to
replace any RAR files that are incomplete/missing
due to poor propagation by a news server.
Tutorial:
http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=6

Also, if you're going to download a lot of
binaries, it's good to subscribe to a premium
news service that has high article completion
and long article retention -- the gold standard
of premium news service being Giganews
(close to 100% article completion -- Par files
almost never needed; up to *50 days* retention):
http://www.giganews.com/
A bit lesser, but "good" news service is Easynews:
http://www.easynews.com/

So, to sum up, what you need is:

1--A "real," yEnc-capable newsreader

2--WinRar

3--Quickpar (to handle Par or Par2 files)

and, optionally...

4--An NFO (text file describing the binary upload) reader,
such as the free Getinfo (here's a Direct Download link
for that program:
ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/utilmisc/getinfo.zip )

5--Subscribe to a premium news service