Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > buying on e-bay

buying on e-bay

Vanguard

"ellis_jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vanguard wrote:
>> "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:dcgb9a$82b$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I would think the fact he can post to usenet would indicate that he
>>> is connected and his modem is powered on?

>> I have 3 computers at home. Losing connectivity on one doesn't mean
>> the others also die unless a common component shared amongst them all
>> had died. I also can visit newsgroups from work.

>> I suppose I could
>> also hit the library

> He is posting from ntlworld tinternet. All the libraries I have used
> don't
> have btinternet or any other newsgroup enabled ISP's that allows for
> downloading and subscribing to newsgroups. The only method I have run
> across from a library is the method of posting to Google groups. But,
> just
> because that is what I have found on my side of the planet does not
> mean, of
> course, that it holds true for everyone everywhere.

Whether you can connect from an off-domain host to your NNTP service
depends on the service. Comcast contracts their NNTP service from
Giganews, but when logging on using your Comcast account you also need
to have an IP address that is on the Comcast domain. I know. I've
tried to use the Giganews-contracted Comcast NNTP service for my home
account while at work, and they told me it won't work because my work's
IP address is not on the Comcast domain. However, a non-ISP NNTP
service will probably let you connect regardless of your IP address. I
suspect Teranew would be like that.

You and I who are on Comcast and familiar with the libraries and
Internet cafes in the USA but only in our small realms within that
county might not be familiar with what the OP has available over in UK
regarding their libraries and their policies. Also, I only used
libraries and Internet cafes as an example. A friend's house, their
parent's or kid's computer, a neighbor's computer, from work, and lots
of other means are available to gain Internet access to an NNTP server.
I wasn't going to list all the possibilities and extrapolation by
example was assumed.

Vanguard

"ellis_jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vanguard wrote:
>> "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:dcgb9a$82b$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I would think the fact he can post to usenet would indicate that he
>>> is connected and his modem is powered on?

>> I have 3 computers at home. Losing connectivity on one doesn't mean
>> the others also die unless a common component shared amongst them all
>> had died. I also can visit newsgroups from work. I suppose I could
>> also hit the library or an Internet cafe to get at newsgroups. What,
>> you've never seen someone post a message saying they have no
>> connectivity (obviously for a host different than the one which they
>> used to submit their post)?
>>
>> Considering the dearth of information provided by the OP, there isn't
>> much point in providing a wealth of information but just some basic
>> testing first, like being able to ping somewhere.

> Firewall problem?

Could be but it would have to be protocol specific (for just HTTP) if my
suggestion of pinging worked okay. Could be a hosts file problem, too,
where the ebay domain is listed to point somewhere else, like localhost,
but a ping to that same domain would show a failure. However, it looks
like ebay won't respond to pings, so just pinging anywhere would show
*some* connectivity as a start.

3-1/2 days since the OP posted. Getting likely we'll never hear from
the OP regarding this vaguely described problem, or they solved the
problem and have no urge to return.

For e-mail, remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" passcode to Subject.