Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Infiniband via Virtex-II Pro RocketIOs (keywords: Virtex2, RocketIO, Rocket I/O)

Infiniband via Virtex-II Pro RocketIOs (keywords: Virtex2, RocketIO, Rocket I/O)

Bruce

Hello,
at present I am working on an Infiniband implementation on a Virtex-II
Pro. As far as I know the build-in RocketIOs are fully compliant to
the Infiniband standard (beacon and variant CRC excluded). There are
two types of CRC, the invariant and the variant type. Although the
RocketIOs are able to calculate at least one type, i.e. the invariant
CRC, you cannot make use of it in this particular case. The reason for
this is that the invariant CRC is needed for the variant CRC type
which you have to handle yourself, anyway. Has anyone ever tried or
finished an Infiniband implementation inside the V2P/RocketIOs and
could share his experience with me? Or is there any example
implementation for the whole CRC calculation inside the FPGA fabric
available? I wonder how one could ever reach the typical 2.5 Gbit/s
Infiniband transmission rate when almost all functions must be handled
inside the FPGA fabric? Still some other questions: Could someone
please help me on the question how often the beacon signal should be
repeated before synchronisation is sufficiently established? And what
about the packet generation? There are several IBA packet structures.
If I assume a plain point-to-point connection it surely would not be
necessary to include all that global routing stuff inside the header.
So what would be the adequate format to use? The "local packet"
structure or maybe just "raw packets"? If someone got the slightest
clue, please post a write an email! Any answer is appreciated. Best
regards, Bruce

VirtexII, Virtex-II, RocketIO, RocketI/O, RocketIOs, RocketI/Os,
Rocket IO, Rocket I/O, Rocket IOs, Rocket I/Os, Virtex2Pro,
VirtexIIPro, MGT, SerDes, Gigabit Transmission, Infiniband, Beacon
Signal, Synchronisation, Gbit, Gb, Gbit/s, Gbits, Gb/s, Gbs, P2P, IBA

Gigabyte 3D Rocket Cooler-Pro PCU22-VG Heatsink Review Silverstrand Front Page News 0 05-17-2006 12:37 PM
Simulation of Xilinx Rocket IO Instance kedarpapte@gmail.com VHDL 3 03-07-2006 02:23 PM
Bottle Rocket Ha Ha Tron2005 MCSE 6 11-30-2005 04:35 AM
Simulation of rocket IO in virtex 2 pro Stephen Lohning VHDL 3 05-24-2005 07:22 AM
Infiniband on Virtex II pro Quinn Johnson VHDL 0 11-11-2004 07:35 AM

Advertisments