Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > External USB HD problem....??

External USB HD problem....??

Advid

...I've got an 160g external USB 'Qdisk' hard drive on my PC (XP home) ....
the HD has got all my MP3's on....

Whenever I burn a music CD (usually with MS Media Centre - sometimes with
NERO 6) during the 'convert' process the PC hangs/freezes....

If the MP3's are on my PC hard drive (80g Seagate) the PC converts and
starts burning to DC...

How do I check out USB (flow / in-out) problems ??? Any ideas to check if
its 100% ????

Toolman Tim

"Advid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dc5np7$5ko$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
> ..I've got an 160g external USB 'Qdisk' hard drive on my PC (XP home) ....
> the HD has got all my MP3's on....
>
> Whenever I burn a music CD (usually with MS Media Centre - sometimes with
> NERO 6) during the 'convert' process the PC hangs/freezes....
>
> If the MP3's are on my PC hard drive (80g Seagate) the PC converts and
> starts burning to DC...
>
> How do I check out USB (flow / in-out) problems ??? Any ideas to check if
> its 100% ????

Not a clue. But I *never* burn a CD with data from an external or network
drive. Copy the contents to your local hard drive, then burn it. (Nero
should have that option built in.) The last thing you want is for the CD
burner to have to wait for data to transfer in from a slower source. While
the problems associated with file transfer speeds have mostly been solved, I
don't like to take a chance. I don't need no more stinkin' coasters <g>

Advid

thanks.....

news:2AzFe.7751$(E-Mail Removed)...