Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows protection error at startup - Unable to configure CONFIGMC

Windows protection error at startup - Unable to configure CONFIGMC

User Name

Using Win98SE

On occasion, I get a message on a DOS screen at startup that says
something like "Windows protection error, unable to configure
CONFIGMC" (I'll get a more accurate version of this the next time it
happens).

I've done a Google search on CONFIGMC ... very few llinks there, and
none I can connect with anything installed in my system.

Does anyone know what CONFIGMC is, and what might be causing the
Windows protection error?

TIA

WormWood

CONFIGMC is a Mac app. Did you mean CONFIGMG? Have you got Advanced
Power Management enabled in the BIOS? If so to both, try this:

<quote>
Start in safe mode, then go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager
tab > scroll down to System Devices > Advanced Power Management
properties, and enable Force APM 1.0. Reboot in normal mode and it
should be ok.

</quote>

"User Name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Using Win98SE
>
> On occasion, I get a message on a DOS screen at startup that says
> something like "Windows protection error, unable to configure
> CONFIGMC" (I'll get a more accurate version of this the next time it
> happens).
>
> I've done a Google search on CONFIGMC ... very few llinks there, and
> none I can connect with anything installed in my system.
>
> Does anyone know what CONFIGMC is, and what might be causing the
> Windows protection error?
>
> TIA

why?

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:27:06 GMT, User Name wrote:

>Using Win98SE
>
>On occasion, I get a message on a DOS screen at startup that says
>something like "Windows protection error, unable to configure
>CONFIGMC" (I'll get a more accurate version of this the next time it

That will be configmg?

configmc , had 2 google hits. While configmg

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 888 English pages for
windows protection error configmg. (0.33 seconds)

>happens).

http://www.easydesksoftware.com/news/news19.htm

MS Technet June 2005 , 0 hits for CONFIGMC

lookup the PSS ID number on Google or http://support.microsoft.com/

Knowledge Base
Error Message: Initializing Device IOS Windows Protection Error
PSS ID Number: 263466
Article Last Modified on 12/20/2004

Windows Protection Error
This is the problem I got while installing Win98SE from a clean
harddisk: ... the annoying "Windows Protection Error" comes up. Then I
hit a ...
www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID7/200.html - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

configmg windows protection error on startup
... for Win98SE, I started getting a windows protection error,
configmg. ... RE: configmg windows protection error on startup Davo
Jun-20-01 02:59 PM ...
www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID7/282.html - 9k - Cached - Similar
pages

PC hardware - General discussion FAQ - Tek-Tips
Windows Protection Error. You must reboot your computer. - While
initializing device IOS: Windows Protection error. You must reboot your
computer. ...
www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=196 - 16k - Cached - Similar pages

That Computer Guy's Help Forum -> windows protection error
windows protection error, keeps telling me to reboot. Track this topic |
Email this topic ... Windows protection error . you need to restart your
computer. ...
http://forums.thatcomputerguy.us/ind...iew=getnewpost
- 71k - Cached - Similar pages

<snip>

Me

User Name

WormWood,

Thank you for your reply.

You were correct about "CONFIGMG" ... sorry about the confusion ...
need a new pair of glasses to read my DOS screens I guess.

In the Advanced Power Management Support Properties, on the "General"
tab, neither "Diasble in this hardware profile" is checked, nor is
"Remove from this hardware profile" checked. Is that correct?

On the "Settings" tab, "Force APM 1.0 mode was already checked, so I
left it alone.

Thanks for your help.

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:52:05 -0400, "WormWood"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>CONFIGMC is a Mac app. Did you mean CONFIGMG? Have you got Advanced
>Power Management enabled in the BIOS? If so to both, try this:
>
><quote>
>Start in safe mode, then go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager
>tab > scroll down to System Devices > Advanced Power Management
>properties, and enable Force APM 1.0. Reboot in normal mode and it
>should be ok.
>
></quote>
>

>"User Name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Using Win98SE
>>
>> On occasion, I get a message on a DOS screen at startup that says
>> something like "Windows protection error, unable to configure
>> CONFIGMC" (I'll get a more accurate version of this the next time it
>> happens).
>>
>> I've done a Google search on CONFIGMC ... very few llinks there, and
>> none I can connect with anything installed in my system.
>>
>> Does anyone know what CONFIGMC is, and what might be causing the
>> Windows protection error?
>>
>> TIA

User Name

Yes, it should have been CONFIGMG, as you were good enough to discover
and research for me.

I'm on my way to these links to see what's there, as well as trying
the "Advanced Power Management" suggestion offered by WormWood.

Thanks for your help ...

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:51:38 GMT, why?

>On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:27:06 GMT, User Name wrote:
>
>>Using Win98SE
>>
>>On occasion, I get a message on a DOS screen at startup that says
>>something like "Windows protection error, unable to configure
>>CONFIGMC" (I'll get a more accurate version of this the next time it

>That will be configmg?
>
>configmc , had 2 google hits. While configmg
>
>Web Results 1 - 10 of about 888 English pages for
>windows protection error configmg. (0.33 seconds)
>
>>happens).

>http://www.easydesksoftware.com/news/news19.htm
>
>MS Technet June 2005 , 0 hits for CONFIGMC
>
>lookup the PSS ID number on Google or http://support.microsoft.com/
>
>Knowledge Base
>Error Message: Initializing Device IOS Windows Protection Error
>PSS ID Number: 263466
>Article Last Modified on 12/20/2004
>

>Windows Protection Error
>This is the problem I got while installing Win98SE from a clean
>harddisk: ... the annoying "Windows Protection Error" comes up. Then I
>hit a ...
>www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID7/200.html - 10k - Cached - Similar pages
>
> configmg windows protection error on startup
> ... for Win98SE, I started getting a windows protection error,
>configmg. ... RE: configmg windows protection error on startup Davo
>Jun-20-01 02:59 PM ...
> www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID7/282.html - 9k - Cached - Similar
>pages
>
>PC hardware - General discussion FAQ - Tek-Tips
>Windows Protection Error. You must reboot your computer. - While
>initializing device IOS: Windows Protection error. You must reboot your
>computer. ...
>www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=196 - 16k - Cached - Similar pages
>
>That Computer Guy's Help Forum -> windows protection error
>windows protection error, keeps telling me to reboot. Track this topic |
>Email this topic ... Windows protection error . you need to restart your
>computer. ...
>http://forums.thatcomputerguy.us/ind...iew=getnewpost
>- 71k - Cached - Similar pages
>
><snip>
>
>Me

WormWood

Yep, sounds good. Hope it works for you. And, you're welcome.