Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Disable IE in user XP account

Disable IE in user XP account

Gorbag

I would like to create a separate user account for my son to be able to play
games but not be able to access the internet. I have a broadband connection.

Is there a way to stop access to IE in a limited user account while still
being accessible in the admin?

John Holmes

Gorbag blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I would like to create a separate user account for my son to be able
> to play games but not be able to access the internet. I have a
> broadband connection.
>
> Is there a way to stop access to IE in a limited user account while
> still being accessible in the admin?

start>run>gpedit.msc

--
Your mother was a cruddy animal handler who copulated with anyone and
anything amongst cavemen in a time loop.

Dave Lear

"John Holmes" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

>> I would like to create a separate user account for my son to
>> be able to play games but not be able to access the internet.
>> I have a broadband connection.
>>
>> Is there a way to stop access to IE in a limited user account
>> while still being accessible in the admin?

> start>run>gpedit.msc

Local Computer Policy

User Configuration

Windows Settings

Internet Explorer Maintenance

Connection

I'd suggest entering a Proxy address of 127.0.0.1 (the loopback address to
the machine itself) for all of the protocols and applying that.

Of course, as the Group Policy snap-in (GPEDIT.MSC) is only available under
Windows XP Professional, if the original poster has Windows XP Home then the
above isn't do'able without manually creating / editing the equivalent
policy keys under the Current User registry hive (or under HKEY_USERS and
finding the SID of the user to restrict)

John Holmes

Dave Lear blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> "John Holmes" wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>
>>> I would like to create a separate user account for my son to
>>> be able to play games but not be able to access the internet.
>>> I have a broadband connection.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to stop access to IE in a limited user account
>>> while still being accessible in the admin?

>> start>run>gpedit.msc

> Local Computer Policy
>
> User Configuration
>
> Windows Settings
>
> Internet Explorer Maintenance
>
> Connection
>
> I'd suggest entering a Proxy address of 127.0.0.1 (the loopback
> address to the machine itself) for all of the protocols and applying
> that.
>
> Of course, as the Group Policy snap-in (GPEDIT.MSC) is only available
> under Windows XP Professional, if the original poster has Windows XP
> Home then the above isn't do'able without manually creating / editing
> the equivalent policy keys under the Current User registry hive (or
> under HKEY_USERS and finding the SID of the user to restrict)

Why are you telling me, you ****?

You're so dense that light bends around you.

--
Your mother was an elderly mud wrestler who made babies with other like-
minded people.

Wheaty

Gorbag babbled on about this
news:42e40e99$0$15974$(E-Mail Removed):

> I would like to create a separate user account for my son to be able
> to play games but not be able to access the internet. I have a
> broadband connection.
>
> Is there a way to stop access to IE in a limited user account while
> still being accessible in the admin?

accessability options like this are generally limited to a Domain
structure if I am not mistaken. One thing you could try is to simply set
file permissions for the iexplore.exe file. Remove Guest or <name>,
users, and anything other than administrator (or whatever other accounts
you want to have access) from the security tab, and that particular
account should not be able to run Internet Explorer. There are several
ways to circumvent this I am sure.

--
Wheaty

I would much rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal
labotomy....

Dave Lear

"John Holmes" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

> Why are you telling me, you [SNIP]?

I'm telling all the subsribers of this newsgroup, John, not just you. Whilst
you might already know it, there'll be those that don't.

> You're so dense that light bends around you.

Thank you, John.