Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Name That Mystery Box

Name That Mystery Box

Harry

Hello,
What is a "heat pump"?
All i can find on the Internet is talk about the compressor
of the heat pump, however they often show a picture of a
tall box-looking thingy standing along side of the
compressor, but never say a thing about it. I donot even
know the name of the "box". What is in the box? I know
the fan is in it, however i think there is something else in
there - scary- huh?
Here on this site
http://snipurl.com/ggc7
they talk about:

“Heat Pumps, Split System, Electric Heat and AirConditioning”

Then it gets confusing . . .

“What is a “split system”“ may be a better question than
“What is a heat pump”. Does it mean a heat pump system
can be a one system and a split system also (in that the
compressor is in that mystery box or what all is in the
mystery box is in the compressor, thus making it a “one
system”), or does it mean a heat pump and a split system
are two entirely different animals, and if so what are they
in comparison to one another?

I was told if i put gas heat in i will be in the same category
as a seller trying to sell a house with a swimming pool - it
is hard to sell, so i guess i will have to put back the heat
pump - split system whatever. For 13 years ihave been
calling the thing that was drug out of here a “heat pump”,
but was it a heat pump? Its box is still here in the hall in a
sort of closet. In there is the central fan i use to circulate
air through the ducts. It runs off the now gone heat pump
whatever thermostat. Underneath is the air intake, which i
have highly filtered (two filters), one metal sort of filter i
paid more than i can remember (it was 3 figures) that fits
snug under the floor on which the box sits, and then i have
another one covering the screen at the hole in the hall wall
that leads into the box’s closet - it is at the floor. You can
open it, and in there is nothing (on the floor that is) unless
you stick your head into the hole and look up. I never did
that so i donot know what you would see, however i guess
it would be the box’s bottom/feet who knows or the floor
the box sits on with a hole in it for the air vent?.
The old heating unit used to run air conditioning when you
switched the thermostat one way and heat when you
switched it the other way. For some reason it stopped
running. People said it was because it was old (i took that
personal like) and also said the fins were rusted from the
salt air - no one ever said anything about the box, so i guess
all ihave to do is plunk a compressor whatever right down
where the “old” one was and hook up the new one the same
way (after i find out what it was: split system or heat pump
whatever)?

pcbutts1

Harry, <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote:

> Hello, What is a "heat pump"?

Hey, little Black Sambo.

> All i can find on the Internet is talk about the compressor of the heat
> pump, however they often show a picture of a tall box-looking thingy
> standing along side of the compressor, but never say a thing about it.

How often?

> I donot even know the name of the "box".

You're so insecure about what I do at my work.

> What is in the box?

Why do you ask what is in the box?

> I know the fan is in it, however i think there is something else in
> there - scary- huh?

Maybe you should think harder next time, Harry.

> Here on this site http://snipurl.com/ggc7 “Heat Pumps, Split System,
> Electric Heat and AirConditioning” Then it gets confusing.

Hmm. Maybe I took some bad acid?

> “What is a “split system”“ may be a better question than “What is a heat
> pump”.

Better than chocolate.

> Does it mean a heat pump system can be a one system and a split system
> also (in that the compressor is in that mystery box or what all is in the
> mystery box is in the compressor, thus making it a “one system”), or does
> it mean a heat pump and a split system are two entirely different animals,
> and if so what are they in comparison to one another?

Yes, they are in comparison to one another.

> I was told if i put gas heat in i will be in the same category as a
> seller trying to sell a house with a swimming pool - it is hard to sell,
> so i guess i will have to put back the heat pump - split system whatever.

If you let kids get into trouble, if they can get out of it, they do real
well.

> For 13 years ihave been calling the thing that was drug out of here a
> “heat pump”, but was it a heat pump?

It was, but not anymore.

> Its box is still here in the hall in a sort of closet.

The front end of the horse and the rear end of the horse are two different
people.

> In there is the central fan i use to circulate air through the ducts.

There is no dark man. There is no room.

> It runs off the now gone heat pump whatever thermostat.

Now I know your secret.

> Underneath is the air intake, which i have highly filtered (two
> filters), one metal sort of filter i paid more than i can remember (it was
> 3 figures) that fits snug under the floor on which the box sits, and then
> i have another one covering the screen at the hole in the hall wall that
> leads into the box’s closet - it is at the floor.

I wouldn't know about that but I can tell you don't jump in the middle of
another thread.

> You can open it, and in there is nothing (on the floor that is) unless
> you stick your head into the hole and look up.

Maybe I can, but I prefer not to open it.

> I never did that so i donot know what you would see, however i guess it
> would be the box’s bottom/feet who knows or the floor the box sits on with
> a hole in it for the air vent?

You never did that so you do not know what I would see?

> The old heating unit used to run air conditioning when you switched the
> thermostat one way and heat when you switched it the other way.

Is your dog old?

> For some reason it stopped running.

I have no reason it stopped running.

> People said it was because it was old (i took that personal like) and
> also said the fins were rusted from the salt air - no one ever said
> anything about the box, so i guess all ihave to do is plunk a compressor
> whatever right down where the “old” one was and hook up the new one the
> same way (after i find out what it was: split system or heat pump
> whatever)

People live in two different worlds. In one, you do what you're supposed to
do; in the other, you have inner likes, desires and appetites.

Toolman Tim

"Harry" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
news:42e39588$(E-Mail Removed)-news.com...

> Hello,
> What is a "heat pump"?
> All i can find on the Internet is talk about the compressor
> of the heat pump, however they often show a picture of a
> tall box-looking thingy standing along side of the
> compressor, but never say a thing about it. I donot even
> know the name of the "box". What is in the box? I know
> the fan is in it, however i think there is something else in
> there - scary- huh?
> Here on this site
> http://snipurl.com/ggc7
> they talk about:
>
> “Heat Pumps, Split System, Electric Heat and AirConditioning”
>
> Then it gets confusing . . .
>
> “What is a “split system”“ may be a better question than
> “What is a heat pump”. Does it mean a heat pump system
> can be a one system and a split system also (in that the
> compressor is in that mystery box or what all is in the
> mystery box is in the compressor, thus making it a “one
> system”), or does it mean a heat pump and a split system
> are two entirely different animals, and if so what are they
> in comparison to one another?
>
> I was told if i put gas heat in i will be in the same category
> as a seller trying to sell a house with a swimming pool - it
> is hard to sell,

Where do *you* live? Antarctica? Out here, places with gas heat and swimming
pools are the hottest thing on the market!

Gas costs less and is more efficient than electricity. Swimming pools in
this area are a big attraction.

> so i guess i will have to put back the heat
> pump - split system whatever. For 13 years ihave been
> calling the thing that was drug out of here a “heat pump”,
> but was it a heat pump? Its box is still here in the hall in a
> sort of closet. In there is the central fan i use to circulate
> air through the ducts. It runs off the now gone heat pump
> whatever thermostat. Underneath is the air intake, which i
> have highly filtered (two filters), one metal sort of filter i
> paid more than i can remember (it was 3 figures) that fits
> snug under the floor on which the box sits, and then i have
> another one covering the screen at the hole in the hall wall
> that leads into the box’s closet - it is at the floor. You can
> open it, and in there is nothing (on the floor that is) unless
> you stick your head into the hole and look up. I never did
> that so i do not know what you would see, however i guess
> it would be the box’s bottom/feet who knows or the floor
> the box sits on with a hole in it for the air vent?.
> The old heating unit used to run air conditioning when you
> switched the thermostat one way and heat when you
> switched it the other way. For some reason it stopped
> running. People said it was because it was old (i took that
> personal like) and also said the fins were rusted from the
> salt air - no one ever said anything about the box, so i guess
> all ihave to do is plunk a compressor whatever right down
> where the “old” one was and hook up the new one the same
> way (after i find out what it was: split system or heat pump
> whatever)?

Here's a basic definition for you:

A heat pump is basically an air conditioner with a valve that allows it to
operate in reverse. It removes heat from your house and shunts it outdoors
in the summer, and removes heat from outdoor air and shunts it into your
house in the winter. Because heat pumps do not actually create heat-they
just move it from one place to another-heat pumps are more efficient than
other forms of heating.
http://www.sustainable-energy.vic.go...ossary/f-p.asp

My system is a dual stage heat pump. The original furnace still exists and
works. The heat pump was added as an a/c unit and supplements the furnace as
well.

The original system in your home was old, don't take it personal. Most of
these systems will last an average of maybe 15 years before some major
component fails and it's cheaper to replace than repair.

Get a pro in there to tell you what you really need to do. Don't guess about
it - all the parts have to be compatible with each other. Naming the parts
isn't important. If you really want to get names for each part, ask the pro
when he's there to examine the existing system. There's compressors, and
coils, and relays, and condensors, and lots and lots of other parts. I doubt
you're going to be able to hook it up yourself anyway.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Harry" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote:

|>Hello,
|>What is a "heat pump"?

How a heat pump works.
http://home.howstuffworks.com/question49.htm

|>All i can find on the Internet is talk about the compressor
|>of the heat pump, however they often show a picture of a
|>tall box-looking thingy standing along side of the
|>compressor, but never say a thing about it. I donot even
|>know the name of the "box". What is in the box? I know
|>the fan is in it, however i think there is something else in
|>there - scary- huh?

The "Box" contains the Fan, compressor, control electronics, and a
coil. The coil taking up most of the space and giving the "box" it's
shape.

|>Here on this site
|>http://snipurl.com/ggc7
|>they talk about:
|>
|>?Heat Pumps, Split System, Electric Heat and AirConditioning?
|>
|>Then it gets confusing . . .
|>
|>?What is a ?split system?? may be a better question than

It's reversible, The pump can pump heat or cold to your house
depending upon the setting (season).

|>?What is a heat pump?. Does it mean a heat pump system
|>can be a one system and a split system also (in that the
|>compressor is in that mystery box or what all is in the
|>mystery box is in the compressor, thus making it a ?one
|>system?), or does it mean a heat pump and a split system
|>are two entirely different animals, and if so what are they
|>in comparison to one another?

Heat pumps compares to a heater and an air conditioner in one.

|>I was told if i put gas heat in i will be in the same category
|>as a seller trying to sell a house with a swimming pool - it
|>is hard to sell, so i guess i will have to put back the heat
|>pump - split system whatever. For 13 years ihave been
|>calling the thing that was drug out of here a ?heat pump?,
|>but was it a heat pump? Its box is still here in the hall in a
|>sort of closet.

A heat pump requires half of it to be set outside (mystery box) if
yours was indoors it wasn't a heat pump.

|> In there is the central fan i use to circulate
|>air through the ducts. It runs off the now gone heat pump
|>whatever thermostat. Underneath is the air intake, which i
|>have highly filtered (two filters), one metal sort of filter i
|>paid more than i can remember (it was 3 figures) that fits
|>snug under the floor on which the box sits, and then i have
|>another one covering the screen at the hole in the hall wall
|>that leads into the box?s closet - it is at the floor. You can
|>open it, and in there is nothing (on the floor that is) unless
|>you stick your head into the hole and look up. I never did
|>that so i donot know what you would see, however i guess
|>it would be the box?s bottom/feet who knows or the floor
|>the box sits on with a hole in it for the air vent?.
|>The old heating unit used to run air conditioning when you
|>switched the thermostat one way and heat when you
|>switched it the other way. For some reason it stopped
|>running. People said it was because it was old (i took that
|>personal like) and also said the fins were rusted from the
|>salt air - no one ever said anything about the box, so i guess
|>all ihave to do is plunk a compressor whatever right down
|>where the ?old? one was and hook up the new one the same
|>way (after i find out what it was: split system or heat pump
|>whatever)?

The coil (mystery box) is used for heat transfer, the opposite end of
this is a radiator that fits in the vent that another fan blows thru
then out to the vents.

anolgeek

"Harry" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
news:42e39588$(E-Mail Removed)-news.com...

Anyone that told you a heat pump is better than gas is an idiot. I sell,
service and install heat and ac systems.

Toolman Tim gave a good description of a heat pump. The valve he is talking
about is called a reversing valve. You said you have two filters in your
system, this is a no no, you only need one.

A split system is a system that has an air handler inside (the thing that
blows the hot or cold air through the vents) and a condensor outside (the
thing that performs heat transfer when you run the system). On a heat pump,
the condensor works when the thing is in heat or cool mode.

A package system is all one unit, outside, on the roof or the ground. The
air handler and the condensor are all in the same box.

If you can describe the exact symptoms of why your system is not working I
can tell you how to troubleshoot/fix the thing.

anolgeek

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> A heat pump requires half of it to be set outside (mystery box) if
> yours was indoors it wasn't a heat pump.

This is partially incorrect. A heat pump can come in a split system or
package system. if it is split then the air handler is inside and the
condensor is outside, if it is a package unit then the whole thing is
outside on the roof or ground.

Max Wachtel

"anolgeek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:5e432$42e3c0ef$44a6dc16$(E-Mail Removed) rvers.com:

> "Harry" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
> news:42e39588$(E-Mail Removed)-news.com...
>

> Anyone that told you a heat pump is better than gas is an idiot. I
> sell, service and install heat and ac systems.
>
> Toolman Tim gave a good description of a heat pump. The valve he
> is talking about is called a reversing valve. You said you have
> two filters in your system, this is a no no, you only need one.
>
> A split system is a system that has an air handler inside (the
> thing that blows the hot or cold air through the vents) and a
> condensor outside (the thing that performs heat transfer when you
> run the system). On a heat pump, the condensor works when the
> thing is in heat or cool mode.
>
> A package system is all one unit, outside, on the roof or the
> ground. The air handler and the condensor are all in the same box.
>
> If you can describe the exact symptoms of why your system is not
> working I can tell you how to troubleshoot/fix the thing.

One question-my buddy just bought a house with propane furnace and no
AC-he was thinking about getting a heat pump instead of AC- would a
AC be better than a heat pump?
--
"VISTA" is an acronym for the top five Windows problems: Viruses,
Infections, Spyware, Trojans and Adware. -PanHandler

Toolman Tim

"Max Wachtel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns969D87C48A81Amaxpro4unomailafraid@204.153. 244.170...
> "anolgeek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:5e432$42e3c0ef$44a6dc16$(E-Mail Removed) rvers.com:
>

>> "Harry" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
>> news:42e39588$(E-Mail Removed)-news.com...
>>

>> Anyone that told you a heat pump is better than gas is an idiot. I
>> sell, service and install heat and ac systems.
>>
>> Toolman Tim gave a good description of a heat pump. The valve he
>> is talking about is called a reversing valve. You said you have
>> two filters in your system, this is a no no, you only need one.
>>
>> A split system is a system that has an air handler inside (the
>> thing that blows the hot or cold air through the vents) and a
>> condensor outside (the thing that performs heat transfer when you
>> run the system). On a heat pump, the condensor works when the
>> thing is in heat or cool mode.
>>
>> A package system is all one unit, outside, on the roof or the
>> ground. The air handler and the condensor are all in the same box.
>>
>> If you can describe the exact symptoms of why your system is not
>> working I can tell you how to troubleshoot/fix the thing.
>>

> One question-my buddy just bought a house with propane furnace and no
> AC-he was thinking about getting a heat pump instead of AC- would a
> AC be better than a heat pump?

IIRC, when Mom checked into getting central air added to her home, they had
a hat pump unit that integrated with the existing gas furnace.

Rolf

On 24 Jul 2005 17:20:25 GMT, Max Wachtel wrote:
<snip>
> One question-my buddy just bought a house with propane furnace and no
> AC-he was thinking about getting a heat pump instead of AC- would a
> AC be better than a heat pump?

Unless he lives in a part of the country that only needs occasional
heating, like South Florida or the Gulf Coast, your buddy will be better
off installing a straight AC unit instead of a heat pump. Propane heat is
still cheaper than any form of electric heat in most places.

Toolman Tim

news:3qQEe.2384$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Max Wachtel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns969D87C48A81Amaxpro4unomailafraid@204.153. 244.170...
>> "anolgeek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:5e432$42e3c0ef$44a6dc16$(E-Mail Removed) rvers.com:
>>

>>> "Harry" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
>>> news:42e39588$(E-Mail Removed)-news.com...
>>>

>>> Anyone that told you a heat pump is better than gas is an idiot. I
>>> sell, service and install heat and ac systems.
>>>
>>> Toolman Tim gave a good description of a heat pump. The valve he
>>> is talking about is called a reversing valve. You said you have
>>> two filters in your system, this is a no no, you only need one.
>>>
>>> A split system is a system that has an air handler inside (the
>>> thing that blows the hot or cold air through the vents) and a
>>> condensor outside (the thing that performs heat transfer when you
>>> run the system). On a heat pump, the condensor works when the
>>> thing is in heat or cool mode.
>>>
>>> A package system is all one unit, outside, on the roof or the
>>> ground. The air handler and the condensor are all in the same box.
>>>
>>> If you can describe the exact symptoms of why your system is not
>>> working I can tell you how to troubleshoot/fix the thing.
>>>

>> One question-my buddy just bought a house with propane furnace and no
>> AC-he was thinking about getting a heat pump instead of AC- would a
>> AC be better than a heat pump?
>>

> IIRC, when Mom checked into getting central air added to her home, they
> had a hat pump unit that integrated with the existing gas furnace.

errrr...'heat' pump <g>