Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > AVG Test Results

AVG Test Results

Trish

"cyberwasteland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> You can go ahead and delete those files.
> When you run CCleaner and select the Issues icon, it will scan for
> issues involving the registry. Before fixing them, it will ask if you
> would like to back up the registry - you want to choose Yes. It will
> create a file with the suffix ".reg"
> Should something not work after Fixing All Issues, you can simply
> double-click this .reg file and it will restore your registry to its
> previous state.
> I've never had to do this, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Thank you so much for all your help. I will have a go at it later today when
I have more time and can concentrate on what I am doing. Thanks again.

Trish

"cyberwasteland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> You can go ahead and delete those files.
> When you run CCleaner and select the Issues icon, it will scan for
> issues involving the registry. Before fixing them, it will ask if you
> would like to back up the registry - you want to choose Yes. It will
> create a file with the suffix ".reg"
> Should something not work after Fixing All Issues, you can simply
> double-click this .reg file and it will restore your registry to its
> previous state.
> I've never had to do this, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks a lot for all your help. I have now run the CCleaner. When I selected
the issues icon I did as you sugested and backed up the registry and all
seems to be ok. Just one thing though, when it finished, it sugested
'Solution: Delete the registry Value'. Do you recommend I do that, if so
would you be kind enough to tell me how as I have never done anything like
that before. Thanks again.

Bigbri

"Trish" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dbtj0h$vba$(E-Mail Removed)...
> About a month ago my AVG test results, under object was 46569. The next
> day it jumped to 103456. I managed to get it down to 96036 and have since
> got it down to 95874. It could have been around the same time that my
> daughter tried to download a music program and messed it up, so I removed
> the program & deleted everything. Not sure if it was anything to do with
> that or not. Does anyone know how I can find out why it went from 46569
> one day to 103456 the next and where all the extra objects came from and
> how to get rid of them if they are not needed. Appreciate any help. Thank
> you.

Hi Trish, the `objects` you speak of, are files on your computer. The only
way they can increase in number, is if you\yours puts extra
software\programs on your box. The other things that can cause it, is,
Autoupdates and\or spyware.
best wishes..OJ

If she went trawling temp file can hold alot of fish

--
Bigbri

Trish

"Bigbri" <zz@overthere.> wrote in message
newskaFe.190093$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...

> "Trish" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dbtj0h$vba$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> About a month ago my AVG test results, under object was 46569. The next
>> day it jumped to 103456. I managed to get it down to 96036 and have since
>> got it down to 95874. It could have been around the same time that my
>> daughter tried to download a music program and messed it up, so I removed
>> the program & deleted everything. Not sure if it was anything to do with
>> that or not. Does anyone know how I can find out why it went from 46569
>> one day to 103456 the next and where all the extra objects came from and
>> how to get rid of them if they are not needed. Appreciate any help. Thank
>> you.

> Hi Trish, the `objects` you speak of, are files on your computer. The only
> way they can increase in number, is if you\yours puts extra
> software\programs on your box. The other things that can cause it, is,
> Autoupdates and\or spyware.
> best wishes..OJ
>
> If she went trawling temp file can hold alot of fish
>
> --
> Bigbri

Thank you.

ellis_jay

Trish wrote:
> "cyberwasteland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> No. Click on the "Download" link above, then click on the "Download
>> from FileHippo.com" on the following page. Once the FileHippo page
>> opens, click on the "Download Latest Version" link on the upper
>> right-hand side. That will download the program.

> Thanks for your help. I have now downloaded the Latest Version. I
> would be grateful for a few tips on how to use it. For instance, when
> I click on 'Run Cleaner' a box comes up with 'This process will
> permanently delete files from your system. Do you want to proceed'.
> Didn't know if I should proceed or not or what files it would delete.

> Sorry, but I am reasonably new to computing and still learning.

Then STAY THE HELL OUT OF YOUR REGISTRY! I can't shout it loud enough for
some one claiming newness to computers. DO your self a favor and don't mess
with the Registry. Lots of information can be learned about the registry
through search engines like Google. Spend lots of time researching info
about the subject. CCleaner can be a bit much for a newbie.

> Have
> learnt a lot from this newsgroup, thanks to very kind people like
> yourself. Thanks again.

Me too

Ellis_jay

Trish

"cyberwasteland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> You can go ahead and delete those files.
> When you run CCleaner and select the Issues icon, it will scan for
> issues involving the registry. Before fixing them, it will ask if you
> would like to back up the registry - you want to choose Yes. It will
> create a file with the suffix ".reg"
> Should something not work after Fixing All Issues, you can simply
> double-click this .reg file and it will restore your registry to its
> previous state.
> I've never had to do this, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

If all works well after fixing the registry would you normally delete the
..reg file or just leave it where it is. Thanks for your help.

ellis_jay

cyberwasteland wrote:
> You can go ahead and delete those files.
> When you run CCleaner and select the Issues icon, it will scan for
> issues involving the registry. Before fixing them, it will ask if you
> would like to back up the registry - you want to choose Yes. It will
> create a file with the suffix ".reg"
> Should something not work after Fixing All Issues, you can simply
> double-click this .reg file and it will restore your registry to its
> previous state.
> I've never had to do this, but it's always better to be safe than
> sorry.

You think it is wise to advise a newbie to mess with their registry-so early
in the game?

Ellis_jay