Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > reducing size of avi file

reducing size of avi file

Stephen Fisher

I'm found some video clips on myu PC which seem to be 30 second videos 9avi
files) that my wife has uploaded from our camera. Each of these clips is
approx 220Mb which seems a lot for 30 seconds.

The image is 322x288.

What programme can i use to reduce size of file (with minimum loss of
quality?) My operating system is windows XP.

Regards

Steve Fisher

Stephen Fisher

"Stephen Fisher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bqpEe.638$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm found some video clips on myu PC which seem to be 30 second videos
> 9avi files) that my wife has uploaded from our camera. Each of these clips
> is approx 220Mb which seems a lot for 30 seconds.
>
> The image is 322x288.
>
> What programme can i use to reduce size of file (with minimum loss of
> quality?) My operating system is windows XP.
>
> Regards
>
> Steve Fisher

Using a porgramme called "GSPOT" i've discovered bit rate is 60840 kb/s. Is
this high?

regards

Steve

gangle

"Stephen Fisher" wrote

> "Stephen Fisher" wrote
> > I'm found some video clips on myu PC which seem to be 30 second videos
> > 9avi files) that my wife has uploaded from our camera. Each of these clips
> > is approx 220Mb which seems a lot for 30 seconds.
> >
> > The image is 322x288.
> >
> > What programme can i use to reduce size of file (with minimum loss of
> > quality?) My operating system is windows XP.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Steve Fisher
> >

> Using a porgramme called "GSPOT" i've discovered bit rate is 60840 kb/s. Is
> this high?

They are uncompressed AVIs, which are HUGE.
You need to load the AVI into Virtual Dub and compress it using
a quality codec such as XviD (at a bitrate of about 1000 kbps).
The sound could also be compressed (within Virtual Dub) into an
MP3.

Virtual Dub:
http://www.virtualdub.org/download

Xvid codec ("Latest Stable binary"):
http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml

Stephen Fisher

"gangle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Stephen Fisher" wrote
>>
>> "Stephen Fisher" wrote
>> > I'm found some video clips on myu PC which seem to be 30 second videos
>> > 9avi files) that my wife has uploaded from our camera. Each of these
>> > clips
>> > is approx 220Mb which seems a lot for 30 seconds.
>> >
>> > The image is 322x288.
>> >
>> > What programme can i use to reduce size of file (with minimum loss of
>> > quality?) My operating system is windows XP.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > Steve Fisher
>> >

>> Using a porgramme called "GSPOT" i've discovered bit rate is 60840 kb/s.
>> Is
>> this high?

> They are uncompressed AVIs, which are HUGE.
> You need to load the AVI into Virtual Dub and compress it using
> a quality codec such as XviD (at a bitrate of about 1000 kbps).
> The sound could also be compressed (within Virtual Dub) into an
> MP3.
>
> Virtual Dub:
> http://www.virtualdub.org/download
>
> Xvid codec ("Latest Stable binary"):
> http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml

Exactly what i needed. Using viortual dub and compressing video (did not
bother with sound) 9Gg of home video has been reduced to 100Mb

Thanks

Steve