Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 2 phone lines & a router

2 phone lines & a router

David Day

I have 2 phone lines coming into the house. I currently have 2 computers, a
phone line, adsl, to each. I would like to some-how have it so that I can
use both lines for both computers. I'm guessing a router would be needed,
rather than just a lan connection. Are routers with 2 phone-side connections
available as I can't find any. Could you give me a bit of info to help get
it going.

Thanks,

Dave

Arnold Schwarz 'E' negger

"David Day" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42e16413$0$89010$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have 2 phone lines coming into the house. I currently have 2 computers,

> phone line, adsl, to each. I would like to some-how have it so that I can
> use both lines for both computers. I'm guessing a router would be needed,
> rather than just a lan connection. Are routers with 2 phone-side

connections
> available as I can't find any. Could you give me a bit of info to help get
> it going.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Why do you need to do that? Can you drive two cars at once?

Duane Arnold

David Day wrote:

> I have 2 phone lines coming into the house. I currently have 2 computers,
> a phone line, adsl, to each. I would like to some-how have it so that I
> can use both lines for both computers. I'm guessing a router would be
> needed, rather than just a lan connection. Are routers with 2 phone-side
> connections available as I can't find any. Could you give me a bit of info
> to help get it going.

It's hard to find a dial-up router as vendors don't make them anymore for
home usage. If you do find one, it may be a discontinued line.

Duane

David Day

"Arnold Schwarz 'E' negger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42e169b1$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "David Day" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:42e16413$0$89010$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have 2 phone lines coming into the house. I currently have 2 computers,

>> phone line, adsl, to each. I would like to some-how have it so that I can
>> use both lines for both computers. I'm guessing a router would be needed,
>> rather than just a lan connection. Are routers with 2 phone-side

> connections
>> available as I can't find any. Could you give me a bit of info to help
>> get
>> it going.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Why do you need to do that? Can you drive two cars at once?

I just want to be able to either have a faster download speed or for 2 of us
to use the pc's at the same time, as there is 3 of us in the house.

Toolman Tim

"David Day" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42e16413$0$89010$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have 2 phone lines coming into the house. I currently have 2 computers, a
>phone line, adsl, to each. I would like to some-how have it so that I can
>use both lines for both computers. I'm guessing a router would be needed,
>rather than just a lan connection. Are routers with 2 phone-side
>connections available as I can't find any. Could you give me a bit of info
>to help get it going.
>
> Thanks,

Why don't you visit this little-know web site called "GOOGLE" and do a
search for adsl router. I do believe there may be an answer for you.

Ralph Wade Phillips

"David Day" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42e16413$0$89010$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have 2 phone lines coming into the house. I currently have 2 computers,

> phone line, adsl, to each. I would like to some-how have it so that I can
> use both lines for both computers. I'm guessing a router would be needed,
> rather than just a lan connection. Are routers with 2 phone-side

connections
> available as I can't find any. Could you give me a bit of info to help get
> it going.

If I can rephrase -

You have two telephone lines, both with ADSL service, coming into
your house, one to each of the two computers. You'd like to bond the two
together, right?

Symantec makes some firewalls with two WAN ports, that will do what
you're looking for.

HOWEVER - what you might want to do is drop one ADSL line, and put a
router on the other line, and share it between the two computers.

This depends on what you're trying to do here ... two lines, two
accounts, do not automatically make for twice as wide a pipe, unfortunately.

RwP

Render Me

wow, Toolgoogle Tim

news:uIgEe.12567$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "David Day" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:42e16413$0$89010$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have 2 phone lines coming into the house. I currently have 2 computers,

> >phone line, adsl, to each. I would like to some-how have it so that I can
> >use both lines for both computers. I'm guessing a router would be needed,
> >rather than just a lan connection. Are routers with 2 phone-side
> >connections available as I can't find any. Could you give me a bit of

info
> >to help get it going.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> Why don't you visit this little-know web site called "GOOGLE" and do a
> search for adsl router. I do believe there may be an answer for you.

Ron Martell

"Ralph Wade Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> HOWEVER - what you might want to do is drop one ADSL line, and put a
>router on the other line, and share it between the two computers.
>
> This depends on what you're trying to do here ... two lines, two
>accounts, do not automatically make for twice as wide a pipe, unfortunately.

But what they usually do is make for twice as large a monthly bill.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Duane Arnold

I missed the adsl part. There are a ton of ADSL routers out there Linksys
Dlink, Netgear, etc. take your pick.

You should get one that does logging so you can review the traffic to
possible dubious remote IP(s) due to a compromised machine on the netwoek
with a tool like Wallwatcher.

http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/#routers

Duane

Barry OGrady

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 23:52:50 +0100, "David Day" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Arnold Schwarz 'E' negger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:42e169b1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "David Day" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:42e16413$0$89010$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have 2 phone lines coming into the house. I currently have 2 computers,

>>> phone line, adsl, to each. I would like to some-how have it so that I can
>>> use both lines for both computers. I'm guessing a router would be needed,
>>> rather than just a lan connection. Are routers with 2 phone-side

>> connections
>>> available as I can't find any. Could you give me a bit of info to help
>>> get
>>> it going.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

>> Why do you need to do that? Can you drive two cars at once?
>>

>I just want to be able to either have a faster download speed or for 2 of us
>to use the pc's at the same time, as there is 3 of us in the house.

Yo all can share one adsl connection.

Barry
=====
Home page