Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > No Internet Connection!

No Internet Connection!

Techno Wanker

Here's a real stumper:

I have 2 machines running XP Pro on an internal LAN, connected to the
Internet via a LinkSys router, which connects it's WAN port to a Motorola
Surfboard cable modem. Both machines can see the router and each other. Both
can connect to and change the router config. Machine A can reach the
internet through the cable modem, but machine B can't make the trip. I've
tried just about everything and I can't for the life of me think of what's
wrong.

Both machines have the firewalls off. I've tried putting machine B in the
DMZ without any protection at all and it's a no-go.

I never saw this before. How 'bout you guys??

FML

Techno Wanker wrote:
> Here's a real stumper:
>
> I have 2 machines running XP Pro on an internal LAN, connected to the
> Internet via a LinkSys router, which connects it's WAN port to a Motorola
> Surfboard cable modem. Both machines can see the router and each other. Both
> can connect to and change the router config. Machine A can reach the
> internet through the cable modem, but machine B can't make the trip. I've
> tried just about everything and I can't for the life of me think of what's
> wrong.
>
> Both machines have the firewalls off. I've tried putting machine B in the
> DMZ without any protection at all and it's a no-go.
>
> I never saw this before. How 'bout you guys??

How about running ipconfig /all on both machines and posting the results
here. At one point, was Mach A connected directly to the modem without a
router? If so, it could be that the Cable Modem is provisioned to Mach
A's MAC address in which case a bit of MAC spoofing at the router may be
in order. Could be a lot of things. Lets start by looking at the
ipconfig output.

Duane Arnold

Techno Wanker wrote:

> Here's a real stumper:
>
> I have 2 machines running XP Pro on an internal LAN, connected to the
> Internet via a LinkSys router, which connects it's WAN port to a Motorola
> Surfboard cable modem. Both machines can see the router and each other.
> Both can connect to and change the router config. Machine A can reach the
> internet through the cable modem, but machine B can't make the trip. I've
> tried just about everything and I can't for the life of me think of what's
> wrong.
>
> Both machines have the firewalls off. I've tried putting machine B in the
> DMZ without any protection at all and it's a no-go.
>
> I never saw this before. How 'bout you guys??

It sounds like the only machine that's been provisioned to access the ISP's
network by MAC is computer A.

You can either call the ISP and replace computer A's MAC with the MAC of the
Linksys router or clone the MAC of computer A into the Linksys router and
use it. The router has the ability to clone a MAC.

Either way should reslove your problem and both machines can access the
Internet through the router.

IPconfig /all will tell you the NIC's MAC and the MAC of the Linksys router
should be by the serial number on the router.

Duane

Beer Bob

Thanks to both of you for your input. I checked the ipconfig /all and both
machines were identical, except for the machine name. I tried shutting down
both machines, unplugging the router and cable modem. I restarted the modem,
then the router, then machine B. Now machine B had internet access, but when
I started up machine A it had none.

The resolution to the problem came this morning when I had both machines
running and pressed the reset button on the router. Now both machines have
access again just as before. It appears the router lost some functionality
somehow - and I don't know how, because it's powered from a UPS - and turned
itself into a hub. A switch or hub will not connect multiple computers to a
cable modem at the same time, because it will only bind the cable modem IP
number to one machine's NIC. I guess I was thinking that by unplugging the
router it would automatically reset, but it didn't. And so that's the name
of that tune!

The only problem I can recall is last week the cable company had some fiber
cable burned up in a fire and the cable service was out for about a day for
all their customers.

Thanks again!

> Techno Wanker wrote:
>
>> Here's a real stumper:
>>
>> I have 2 machines running XP Pro on an internal LAN, connected to the
>> Internet via a LinkSys router, which connects it's WAN port to a Motorola
>> Surfboard cable modem. Both machines can see the router and each other.
>> Both can connect to and change the router config. Machine A can reach the
>> internet through the cable modem, but machine B can't make the trip. I've
>> tried just about everything and I can't for the life of me think of
>> what's
>> wrong.
>>
>> Both machines have the firewalls off. I've tried putting machine B in the
>> DMZ without any protection at all and it's a no-go.
>>
>> I never saw this before. How 'bout you guys??

> It sounds like the only machine that's been provisioned to access the
> ISP's
> network by MAC is computer A.
>
> You can either call the ISP and replace computer A's MAC with the MAC of
> the
> Linksys router or clone the MAC of computer A into the Linksys router and
> use it. The router has the ability to clone a MAC.
>
> Either way should reslove your problem and both machines can access the
> Internet through the router.
>
> IPconfig /all will tell you the NIC's MAC and the MAC of the Linksys
> router
> should be by the serial number on the router.
>
> Duane

Duane Arnold

> The resolution to the problem came this morning when I had both machines
> running and pressed the reset button on the router. Now both machines have
> access again just as before. It appears the router lost some functionality
> somehow - and I don't know how, because it's powered from a UPS - and
> turned itself into a hub. A switch or hub will not connect multiple
> computers to a cable modem at the same time, because it will only bind the
> cable modem IP number to one machine's NIC. I guess I was thinking that by
> unplugging the router it would automatically reset, but it didn't. And so
> that's the name of that tune!

I don't know about this. In order to turn a router into a switch, it has to
be configured to do it. It's the modem that gets the IP from the ISP and
the router uses that public WAN IP. The router in turns assigns private or
LAN IP(s) via the DHCP server on the router to machines requesting a DHCP
IP or the machine uses a router's static IP.

Let's just say the router lost functionality and the *Reset* button cleared
problem.

Duane