Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > computer reboots during shutdown process

computer reboots during shutdown process

Mark

I'm running Windows XP Pro for a couple years now. A few days ago when I
shut down the OS the system restarted. It gets all the way until when the
power should go off, and instead the PC restarts. It is almost like a
restart.

I run NAV, and run Ad-Aware and Spybot weekly but cannot detect any trojan
or bachground program running.

I opened the case and cleaned the PC very well. It was dusty inside.

Still, I have this problem and the only way to shut down is to kill the
power with the switch on the back of the PC.

Would anyone have any ideas on what to look for? Hardware? Registry
problem?

TIA

Toolman Tim

news:BXgDe.18965$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I'm running Windows XP Pro for a couple years now. A few days ago when I
> shut down the OS the system restarted. It gets all the way until when the
> power should go off, and instead the PC restarts. It is almost like a
> restart.
>
> I run NAV, and run Ad-Aware and Spybot weekly but cannot detect any trojan
> or bachground program running.
>
> I opened the case and cleaned the PC very well. It was dusty inside.
>
> Still, I have this problem and the only way to shut down is to kill the
> power with the switch on the back of the PC.
>
> Would anyone have any ideas on what to look for? Hardware? Registry
> problem?

Ask Microsoft - see if any of this helps:

pcbutts1

Mark, <(E-Mail Removed)>, whose name means "picks fights in
pubs; owes his first born child to Visa", yawped:

> I'm running Windows XP Pro for a couple years now.

Get rid of SP2.

> A few days ago when I shut down the OS the system restarted.

You call that a haircut?

> It gets all the way until when the power should go off, and instead the
> PC restarts.

It's not the same.

> It is almost like a restart.

It's part of the mystique.

> I run NAV, and run Ad-Aware and Spybot weekly but cannot detect any
> trojan or bachground program running.

Do you know how to program robots?

> I opened the case and cleaned the PC very well.

You call yourself a woman?

> It was dusty inside.

It's that old black magic.

> Still, I have this problem and the only way to shut down is to kill the
> power with the switch on the back of the PC.

I've got a girlfriend.

> Would anyone have any ideas on what to look for?

Look at all those friends sitting around with you. I wonder why.

> Hardware?

Quick reflexes.

> Registry problem?

How long have you been suffering?

> TIA.

Get ****ed in advance.

Unk

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:31:29 GMT, "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm running Windows XP Pro for a couple years now. A few days ago when I
>shut down the OS the system restarted. It gets all the way until when the
>power should go off, and instead the PC restarts. It is almost like a
>restart.
>
>I run NAV, and run Ad-Aware and Spybot weekly but cannot detect any trojan
>or bachground program running.
>
>I opened the case and cleaned the PC very well. It was dusty inside.
>
>Still, I have this problem and the only way to shut down is to kill the
>power with the switch on the back of the PC.
>
>Would anyone have any ideas on what to look for? Hardware? Registry
>problem?
>
>TIA

Windows XP Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting
http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.htm

"Windows Shutdown & Restart Center Troubleshooting in 15 Steps"
http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

"It is Now Safe to Turn Off Your Computer" Error Message When You Try to Shut Down Your WinXP,
Win2000 Computer.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810903

Resources to Help Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029

Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311806

Windows XP restarts unexpectedly or restarts when you shut down the computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320299

You May Not Be Able to Shut Down Your Windows XP Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320008