Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Right-click WinXP Start button, how to remove items from the menu?

Right-click WinXP Start button, how to remove items from the menu?

Wayne Delia

I guess the subject line says it all...

Right-click on the Windows XP Start button and there's a menu with the
usual "Open", "Explore", etc. options, but also some which I'd prefer
not to clutter up that menu. How can I remove them?

Best,
WMD

--
Wayne Delia, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Delta Iota Chapter Advisor, Phi Kappa Sigma at Marist College

pcbutts1

Wayne Delia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I guess the subject line says it all.

Watch.

Subject, get attention. Get attention, subject.
Message body, detail. Detail, message body.

Need it shown to you again, monkeyboy?

> Right-click on the Windows XP Start button and there's a menu with the
> usual "Open", "Explore", etc. options, but also some which I'd prefer
> not to clutter up that menu.

There's always a certain percentage.

> How can I remove them?

You can't. You don't know how to remove them.

> Best, WMD.

You got a great tan. [to a Black woman]

> I was caught rummaging through the dirty undwear and clothes in the
> washing baskets of friends while they were out of the house.

You could always take your conciousness to a higher plane. Everything will
cease to be a problem then.

WormWood

C:\Documents and Settings\*All Users*\Start Menu. ~OR~ Right click Start
and select Open All Users. Click 'Set Program Access and Defaults', tick
Customize.

WormWood wrote:
> C:\Documents and Settings\*All Users*\Start Menu. ~OR~ Right click Start
> and select Open All Users. Click 'Set Program Access and Defaults', tick
> Customize.

No luck - I'm probably doing something wrong. There's a "Custom"
category in 'Set Program Access and Defaults,' in any case, it seems to
be addressing what appears in the Start menu after a left-click, not a
right-click on the Start button.

When I right-click the Start button, I get the following list:

OPEN (in bold)
Edit with CuteHTML
Explore
Power Desk
File Finder...
Search...
(CuteFTP icon) Upload using CuteFTP (arrow leads to "Connection Wizard")
(CuteZip icon) Add to new archive...
(CuteZip icon) Add to Start Menu.zip
(CuteZip icon) Add to... (arrow leads to list of recently used zip files)
Scan for Viruses
Properties (leads to Taskbar and Start Menu Properties)
Open All Users
Explore All Users

I'd like to cut the list down as I no longer use CuteHTML, CuteFTP, and
CuteZip applications much any more.

Would these entries be listed somewhere in the registry?

Thanks for your patience,
WMD

> "Wayne Delia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>I guess the subject line says it all...
>>
>>Right-click on the Windows XP Start button and there's a menu with the
>>usual "Open", "Explore", etc. options, but also some which I'd prefer
>>not to clutter up that menu. How can I remove them?
>>
>>Best,
>>WMD
>>
>>--
>>Wayne Delia, (E-Mail Removed)
>>Delta Iota Chapter Advisor, Phi Kappa Sigma at Marist College
>>"Don't eat me! I have a wife and kids! Eat them!" (Homer Simpson)

--
Wayne Delia, (E-Mail Removed)
Delta Iota Chapter Advisor, Phi Kappa Sigma at Marist College
"Don't eat me! I have a wife and kids! Eat them!" (Homer Simpson)

old jon

> WormWood wrote:
>> C:\Documents and Settings\*All Users*\Start Menu. ~OR~ Right click Start
>> and select Open All Users. Click 'Set Program Access and Defaults', tick
>> Customize.

> No luck - I'm probably doing something wrong. There's a "Custom" category
> in 'Set Program Access and Defaults,' in any case, it seems to be
> addressing what appears in the Start menu after a left-click, not a
> right-click on the Start button.
>
> When I right-click the Start button, I get the following list:
>
> OPEN (in bold)
> Edit with CuteHTML
> Explore
> Power Desk
> File Finder...
> Search...
> (CuteFTP icon) Upload using CuteFTP (arrow leads to "Connection Wizard")
> (CuteZip icon) Add to new archive...
> (CuteZip icon) Add to Start Menu.zip
> (CuteZip icon) Add to... (arrow leads to list of recently used zip files)
> Scan for Viruses
> Properties (leads to Taskbar and Start Menu Properties)
> Open All Users
> Explore All Users
>
> I'd like to cut the list down as I no longer use CuteHTML, CuteFTP, and
> CuteZip applications much any more.
>
> Would these entries be listed somewhere in the registry?
>
> Thanks for your patience,
> WMD
>
>> "Wayne Delia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>>>I guess the subject line says it all...
>>>
>>>Right-click on the Windows XP Start button and there's a menu with the
>>>usual "Open", "Explore", etc. options, but also some which I'd prefer not
>>>to clutter up that menu. How can I remove them?
>>>
>>>Best,
>>>WMD

uninstall all that `cute stuff` that should help.Then see what you`ve got
left.
best wishes..OJ

Wayne Delia

old jon wrote:

> uninstall all that `cute stuff` that should help.Then see what you`ve got
> left.
> best wishes..OJ

Hey - I'll be danged! It did work, and I've got the install files and
passwords where I can find them in case I do need them again.

Thanks very much!

--
Wayne Delia, (E-Mail Removed)