Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re PDFs in browsers

Re PDFs in browsers

Livewire

This is half a follow-up to a post in 24hoursupporthelpdesk earlier
today.

I use Acrobat Professional, which is a huge program that takes ages to
load and massively slows down -- and sometimes crashes -- my browser
when I try to view pdf files from the web.

An earlier post recommended Foxit as a freeware alternative that is
smaller and faster than Acrobat reader, let alone the entire Acrobat
program.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

It works great, and now I've set it as my default program for viewing
pdf files it is called by my browser as necessary and has speeded things
up enormously.

old jon

"Livewire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> This is half a follow-up to a post in 24hoursupporthelpdesk earlier
> today.
>
> I use Acrobat Professional, which is a huge program that takes ages to
> load and massively slows down -- and sometimes crashes -- my browser
> when I try to view pdf files from the web.
>
> An earlier post recommended Foxit as a freeware alternative that is
> smaller and faster than Acrobat reader, let alone the entire Acrobat
> program.
>
> http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
>

> It works great, and now I've set it as my default program for viewing
> pdf files it is called by my browser as necessary and has speeded things
> up enormously.

Glad to have helped. best wishes..OJ

Richard Steinfeld

Livewire wrote:

> This is half a follow-up to a post in 24hoursupporthelpdesk earlier
> today.
>
> I use Acrobat Professional, which is a huge program that takes ages to
> load and massively slows down -- and sometimes crashes -- my browser
> when I try to view pdf files from the web.
>
> An earlier post recommended Foxit as a freeware alternative that is
> smaller and faster than Acrobat reader, let alone the entire Acrobat
> program.
>
> http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
>

> It works great, and now I've set it as my default program for viewing
> pdf files it is called by my browser as necessary and has speeded things
> up enormously.

Here's a question.
I noticed that this publisher offers a spiffier version of Foxit that
allows the user to retrieve text from a .pdf file. So, I went to Acrobat
to doublecheck this -- in the past, I wasn't able to highlight text.
However, on closer inspection, I did find a menu item that allows the
user to "select all." So, I was able to highlight entire humungous
25-page document, which went nicely into Clipboard and pasted properly
into Wordpad. Well, it's pretty klutzy -- and imagine if it was a
100-page .pdf: we'd probably be overloading the buffer.

So, does Foxit allow any text capturing?

Richard

Livewire

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Livewire wrote:
> >

> > This is half a follow-up to a post in 24hoursupporthelpdesk earlier
> > today.
> >
> > I use Acrobat Professional, which is a huge program that takes ages to
> > load and massively slows down -- and sometimes crashes -- my browser
> > when I try to view pdf files from the web.
> >
> > An earlier post recommended Foxit as a freeware alternative that is
> > smaller and faster than Acrobat reader, let alone the entire Acrobat
> > program.
> >
> > http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
> >

> > It works great, and now I've set it as my default program for viewing
> > pdf files it is called by my browser as necessary and has speeded things
> > up enormously.

> Here's a question.
> I noticed that this publisher offers a spiffier version of Foxit that
> allows the user to retrieve text from a .pdf file. So, I went to Acrobat
> to doublecheck this -- in the past, I wasn't able to highlight text.
> However, on closer inspection, I did find a menu item that allows the
> user to "select all." So, I was able to highlight entire humungous
> 25-page document, which went nicely into Clipboard and pasted properly
> into Wordpad. Well, it's pretty klutzy -- and imagine if it was a
> 100-page .pdf: we'd probably be overloading the buffer.
>
> So, does Foxit allow any text capturing?
>
> Richard

Yes the current version does -- just copy and paste as with any other
prog.

But remember that when Acrobat files are created there is the option to
ban copy and pasting, or printing. So if you can't copy and paste, it
could well be the file rather than Foxit.

GlintingHedgehog

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Here's a question.

....and another:

Does anyone else have problems printing from Foxit? I can sometimes
print with no problems, but more often than not the program crashes.
If it weren't for this, I'd uninstall Acrobat :-\

--
Hedgehog

pcbutts1

GlintingHedgehog, <(E-Mail Removed)>, whose name means "eats pizzas
all day, smokes cigars; attracted to older men, much older", pleaded:

> Does anyone else have problems printing from Foxit?

No, I do not else have problems printing from foxit.

> I can sometimes print with no problems, but more often than not the
> program crashes.

Just how often?

> If it weren't for this, I'd uninstall Acrobat :-\

It's not hard to sit back and watch someone suffer.

Karl Engel

I was the recent poster who was having problems with PDFs; a number
recommended using Foxit, which I've installed.

Only problem is - word docs containing jpeg logos that I've converted to PDF
with an Adobe Word toolbar plugin - display in Foxit with the jpegs UPSIDE
DOWN! Open them with Adobe and they look fine.

"Livewire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> This is half a follow-up to a post in 24hoursupporthelpdesk earlier
> today.
>
> I use Acrobat Professional, which is a huge program that takes ages to
> load and massively slows down -- and sometimes crashes -- my browser
> when I try to view pdf files from the web.
>
> An earlier post recommended Foxit as a freeware alternative that is
> smaller and faster than Acrobat reader, let alone the entire Acrobat
> program.
>
> http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
>

> It works great, and now I've set it as my default program for viewing
> pdf files it is called by my browser as necessary and has speeded things
> up enormously.

Mike Andrade

"Karl Engel" <karlengel_AT_excite_DOT_com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I was the recent poster who was having problems with PDFs; a
> number recommended using Foxit, which I've installed.
>
> Only problem is - word docs containing jpeg logos that I've
> converted to PDF with an Adobe Word toolbar plugin - display in
> Foxit with the jpegs UPSIDE DOWN! Open them with Adobe and they
> look fine.

Ok. So email the author of foxit and tell him/her/them about it.
He/She/They have been actively developing foxit and would probably
appreciate the heads up.

--
Mike
disinclination to do so."