Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DNS dropout connection still ok

DNS dropout connection still ok

Steve Walton

For several months now I have experienced the following problem

ISP connection ISDN
Win98SE

Connection working normaly, mainly Agent and Opera
Then I get serfer lookup problem with Agent or server no found from
Opera. I run a DOS window to check connetivity etc
ipconfig and Winipcfg confirm I still have NS servers(2)

I can in fact ping both of these DNS addresses, but can not reolve any
names.

This is bad enough, I'd normally blame the ISP etc, but closing and
restarting the connection doesn't solve the problem.
In fact closing all th applications and reststarting doesn't work
either.
I have to do a complete system restart, then it works perfectly, so I
can't see how the ISP can be the problem.

so what is casuing the problem ?
my only real clue is that it seems to happen after heavy download
usage, ie dns response is slow - maybe times out
But I can't see why this happening within say Opera should cause my
DOS window to have the same problem.

Next what can I stop/restart to get DNS resolving back without the
need to reboot ?

Steve

pcbutts1

Steve Walton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For several months now I have experienced the following problem ISP
> connection ISDN Win98SE Connection working normaly, mainly Agent and Opera
> Then I get serfer lookup problem with Agent or server no found from Opera.

I've outgrown that.

> I run a DOS window to check connetivity etc ipconfig and Winipcfg
> confirm I still have NS servers(2) I can in fact ping both of these DNS
> addresses, but can not reolve any names.

Prove that you can in fact ping both of these dns addresses, Walton.

Tell some **** that cares.

> In fact closing all th applications and reststarting doesn't work either.

All the time?

> I have to do a complete system restart, then it works perfectly, so I
> can't see how the ISP can be the problem.

You will never know unless you try.

> so what is casuing the problem?

What's your best taxi story?

> my only real clue is that it seems to happen after heavy download usage,
> ie dns response is slow - maybe times out But I can't see why this
> happening within say Opera should cause my DOS window to have the same
> problem.

I can not help you see why that happening within say opera should cause your
dos window to have the same problem.

> Next what can I stop/restart to get DNS resolving back without the need
> to reboot?

You haven't reached that level yet.

Steve Walton

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:10:59 +0100, Steve Walton
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For several months now I have experienced the following problem
>
>ISP connection ISDN
>Win98SE
>
>Connection working normaly, mainly Agent and Opera
>Then I get serfer lookup problem with Agent or server no found from
>Opera. I run a DOS window to check connetivity etc
>ipconfig and Winipcfg confirm I still have NS servers(2)
>
>I can in fact ping both of these DNS addresses, but can not reolve any
>names.
>
>This is bad enough, I'd normally blame the ISP etc, but closing and
>restarting the connection doesn't solve the problem.
>In fact closing all th applications and reststarting doesn't work
>either.
>I have to do a complete system restart, then it works perfectly, so I
>can't see how the ISP can be the problem.
>
>so what is casuing the problem ?
>my only real clue is that it seems to happen after heavy download
>usage, ie dns response is slow - maybe times out
>But I can't see why this happening within say Opera should cause my
>DOS window to have the same problem.
>
>Next what can I stop/restart to get DNS resolving back without the
>need to reboot ?

this obviously is still happening.

Drop out doesn't always happend after peak downloads - just can't see
any pattern to the cause

and surely there must be a way that I can resolve (!) the problem
without having to reboot.

??

Steve

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Steve Walton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:10:59 +0100, Steve Walton
|><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|>
|>>For several months now I have experienced the following problem
|>>
|>>ISP connection ISDN
|>>Win98SE
|>>
|>>Connection working normaly, mainly Agent and Opera
|>>Then I get serfer lookup problem with Agent or server no found from
|>>Opera. I run a DOS window to check connetivity etc
|>>ipconfig and Winipcfg confirm I still have NS servers(2)
|>>
|>>I can in fact ping both of these DNS addresses, but can not reolve any
|>>names.
|>>
|>>This is bad enough, I'd normally blame the ISP etc, but closing and
|>>restarting the connection doesn't solve the problem.
|>>In fact closing all th applications and reststarting doesn't work
|>>either.
|>>I have to do a complete system restart, then it works perfectly, so I
|>>can't see how the ISP can be the problem.
|>>
|>>so what is casuing the problem ?
|>>my only real clue is that it seems to happen after heavy download
|>>usage, ie dns response is slow - maybe times out
|>>But I can't see why this happening within say Opera should cause my
|>>DOS window to have the same problem.
|>>
|>>Next what can I stop/restart to get DNS resolving back without the
|>>need to reboot ?
|>>

|>this obviously is still happening.
|>
|>Drop out doesn't always happend after peak downloads - just can't see
|>any pattern to the cause
|>
|>and surely there must be a way that I can resolve (!) the problem
|>without having to reboot.

Have you tried: ipconfig /flushdns

OT: Dropout no more Thor MCSE 0 06-08-2007 06:45 PM
VPN dropout Tomasz Cisco 1 10-20-2006 06:14 AM
AdHoc Wireless Network Dropout Issues =?Utf-8?B?c3BlZWR5?= Wireless Networking 2 09-02-2004 05:26 AM
adhoc network 11g wireless dropout woes dkh Wireless Networking 1 08-02-2004 01:27 PM
Network Dropout? Cyrus Bharda Computer Support 2 09-17-2003 12:56 PM

Advertisments