Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Free vhdl tool?

Free vhdl tool?

Ingo Rose

Ist there a graphical vhdl tool available for macintosh osx or linux
systems?

Regards,
Ingo rose

Don Golding

I believe Altera Quartus II is available in Linux and it's free...

Don
"Ingo Rose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BD261918.5E12%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ist there a graphical vhdl tool available for macintosh osx or linux
> systems?
>
> Regards,
> Ingo rose

Wesley J. Landaker

On Saturday 24 July 2004 15:56, in comp.lang.vhdl, Don Golding wrote:
> "Ingo Rose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:BD261918.5E12%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ist there a graphical vhdl tool available for macintosh osx or linux
>> systems?
>>

> I believe Altera Quartus II is available in Linux and it's free...

Is this really true? Last time I checked, you had to buy the full commercial
version to have Linux support.

That said, these days I've ditched commercial VHDL simulators, and do almost
all of my work simulation with ghdl and gtkwave.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <(E-Mail Removed)>
OpenPGP FP: 4135 2A3B 4726 ACC5 9094 0097 F0A9 8A4C 4CD6 E3D2

Don Golding

I just checked the website and you are right, the Windows version is free,
Linux requires a subscription. I wonder if the Windows version would run on
WINE? I like the Quartus II... or use Partition Magic to create a Windows
Partition...

Don

"Wesley J. Landaker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Saturday 24 July 2004 15:56, in comp.lang.vhdl, Don Golding wrote:
> > "Ingo Rose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:BD261918.5E12%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Ist there a graphical vhdl tool available for macintosh osx or linux
> >> systems?
> >>

> > I believe Altera Quartus II is available in Linux and it's free...
> >

> Is this really true? Last time I checked, you had to buy the full

commercial
> version to have Linux support.
>
> That said, these days I've ditched commercial VHDL simulators, and do

almost
> all of my work simulation with ghdl and gtkwave.
>
> --
> Wesley J. Landaker <(E-Mail Removed)>
> OpenPGP FP: 4135 2A3B 4726 ACC5 9094 0097 F0A9 8A4C 4CD6 E3D2

"Ingo Rose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BD261918.5E12%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ist there a graphical vhdl tool available for macintosh osx or linux
> systems?
>
> Regards,
> Ingo rose

The Xilinx ISE software can run in WINE, I think. Do a search in google for
it. Also, take a look at:

http://www-asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/

It's the Alliance toolkit, designed for Linux.

Tuukka Toivonen

In article <ce2od2$qin$(E-Mail Removed)>, C wrote:
>> Ist there a graphical vhdl tool available for macintosh osx or linux
>> systems?

> http://www-asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/

Also take a look at Electric:

http://www.staticfreesoft.com

Which is, IMO, nicer than Alliance. Both support *very* limited
subset of VHDL (when I last tried them, a while back).

Uwe Bonnes

Don Golding <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: I just checked the website and you are right, the Windows version is free,
: Linux requires a subscription. I wonder if the Windows version would run on
: WINE? I like the Quartus II... or use Partition Magic to create a Windows
: Partition...

Quartus had more problems then ISE when running with wine, last tim I
tried. Most problems of Quartus where caused by the License Setup.

Bye

--
Uwe Bonnes http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt

Ken Smith

In article <ce86b1$6qv$(E-Mail Removed)-darmstadt.de>,
Uwe Bonnes <(E-Mail Removed)-darmstadt.de> wrote:
>Don Golding <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: I just checked the website and you are right, the Windows version is free,
>: Linux requires a subscription. I wonder if the Windows version would run on
>: WINE? I like the Quartus II... or use Partition Magic to create a Windows
>: Partition...
>
>Quartus had more problems then ISE when running with wine, last tim I
>tried. Most problems of Quartus where caused by the License Setup.

The newest version of Quartus requires XP or NT. If you are using wine,
you need to make sure it identifies its self as one of those and not as
Win98 or ME etc.

Last time I checked, you can still get Quartus 2.2? ( or was is 2.0 patch
2) which runs under Win98.

The fitters that come with 2.0 and 4.0 are quite different. The one with
4.0 didn't fit a project that the one with 2.0 could. It seems that the
optimize for speed in 4.0 uses more extra area in the name of gaining
speed than the 2.0 version.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) forging knowledge