Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > puzzling dvd burner problem

puzzling dvd burner problem

Demolitio

for some reason, my DVD burner sometimes detects dvds/cds, regardless of the
media, and sometimes it doesn't.what i mean by failing to detect, is that at
these times, it doesn't matter if i insert a DVD/CD-ROM, or even a blank
DVD+/- R, no autorun message pops up, and when i try to use any burning
program, all i am presented with is a "disk not in drive" message,even
though it is. i've taken a look at the media i've inserted, no scratches or
anything anywhere. it even does this with discs right out of the box.

i was wondering if anybody has come across that problem, or if anyone has a
suggestion to fix it. (sorry guys, i'm trying to be as informing as
possible).

i have a BenQ burner (cant think of the speeds at the moment, but it is
capable of writing on dual layer discs, and can write on both + and -
media.), and am useing Windows XP pro.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Demolitio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>for some reason, my DVD burner sometimes detects dvds/cds, regardless of the
|>media, and sometimes it doesn't.what i mean by failing to detect, is that at
|>these times, it doesn't matter if i insert a DVD/CD-ROM, or even a blank
|>DVD+/- R, no autorun message pops up, and when i try to use any burning
|>program, all i am presented with is a "disk not in drive" message,even
|>though it is. i've taken a look at the media i've inserted, no scratches or
|>anything anywhere. it even does this with discs right out of the box.
|>
|>i was wondering if anybody has come across that problem, or if anyone has a
|>suggestion to fix it. (sorry guys, i'm trying to be as informing as
|>possible).
|>
|>i have a BenQ burner (cant think of the speeds at the moment, but it is
|>capable of writing on dual layer discs, and can write on both + and -
|>media.), and am useing Windows XP pro.

In Windows explorer right click on your CD and select Properties, then
autoplay, make sure prompt me for an action is selected.
--
68 mph and 124 miles on a tank of air.
http://www.motordeaire.com/ing/UKPressrelease.html#Eng

Demolitio

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Demolitio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |>for some reason, my DVD burner sometimes detects dvds/cds, regardless of

the
> |>media, and sometimes it doesn't.what i mean by failing to detect, is

that at
> |>these times, it doesn't matter if i insert a DVD/CD-ROM, or even a blank
> |>DVD+/- R, no autorun message pops up, and when i try to use any burning
> |>program, all i am presented with is a "disk not in drive" message,even
> |>though it is. i've taken a look at the media i've inserted, no scratches

or
> |>anything anywhere. it even does this with discs right out of the box.
> |>
> |>i was wondering if anybody has come across that problem, or if anyone

has a
> |>suggestion to fix it. (sorry guys, i'm trying to be as informing as
> |>possible).
> |>
> |>i have a BenQ burner (cant think of the speeds at the moment, but it is
> |>capable of writing on dual layer discs, and can write on both + and -
> |>media.), and am useing Windows XP pro.
> |>

> In Windows explorer right click on your CD and select Properties, then
> autoplay, make sure prompt me for an action is selected.
> --
> 68 mph and 124 miles on a tank of air.
> http://www.motordeaire.com/ing/UKPressrelease.html#Eng

umm.... it gives me a "disk not in drive message". autoplay won't do a damn
thing, if it can't read the disk in the first place.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Demolitio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

|>the
|>that at
|>or

|>has a

|>> In Windows explorer right click on your CD and select Properties, then
|>> autoplay, make sure prompt me for an action is selected.

|>umm.... it gives me a "disk not in drive message". autoplay won't do a damn
|>thing, if it can't read the disk in the first place.

Check out your device manager, and make sure your CD is functioning
properly.

unwashed

"Demolitio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f28Ce.13005$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> for some reason, my DVD burner sometimes detects dvds/cds, regardless of
> the
> media, and sometimes it doesn't.what i mean by failing to detect, is that
> at
> these times, it doesn't matter if i insert a DVD/CD-ROM, or even a blank
> DVD+/- R, no autorun message pops up, and when i try to use any burning
> program, all i am presented with is a "disk not in drive" message,even
> though it is. i've taken a look at the media i've inserted, no scratches
> or
> anything anywhere. it even does this with discs right out of the box.
>
> i was wondering if anybody has come across that problem, or if anyone has
> suggestion to fix it. (sorry guys, i'm trying to be as informing as
> possible).
>
> i have a BenQ burner (cant think of the speeds at the moment, but it is
> capable of writing on dual layer discs, and can write on both + and -
> media.), and am useing Windows XP pro.

Just to cover the obvious, but you are ensuring you have
inserted the disk(s) correctly with apt surface on top etc?
Has the problem only manifested? Or has this random
failing to detect always been asssociated with that specified
drive? - If so I'd suspect a faulty unit?
Have you tried the problem disks in other drives?
Is it only a problem with specific Brand media?
Have you tried the BenQ site for any tips?

Jack B. Pollack

Could be the sensor inside of the drive is going bad and it is not detecting
that a disk has been inserted.

"Demolitio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f28Ce.13005$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> for some reason, my DVD burner sometimes detects dvds/cds, regardless of

the
> media, and sometimes it doesn't.what i mean by failing to detect, is that

at
> these times, it doesn't matter if i insert a DVD/CD-ROM, or even a blank
> DVD+/- R, no autorun message pops up, and when i try to use any burning
> program, all i am presented with is a "disk not in drive" message,even
> though it is. i've taken a look at the media i've inserted, no scratches

or
> anything anywhere. it even does this with discs right out of the box.
>
> i was wondering if anybody has come across that problem, or if anyone has

> suggestion to fix it. (sorry guys, i'm trying to be as informing as
> possible).
>
> i have a BenQ burner (cant think of the speeds at the moment, but it is
> capable of writing on dual layer discs, and can write on both + and -
> media.), and am useing Windows XP pro.

Andrew

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 08:55:54 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> "Demolitio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>|><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>|>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>|>the
>|>that at
>|>or

>|>has a

>|>umm.... it gives me a "disk not in drive message". autoplay won't do a damn
>|>thing, if it can't read the disk in the first place.
>
>Check out your device manager, and make sure your CD is functioning
>properly.

pennywise' fingers are in top gear and his brain
is in neutral... ignore it...
do the cross drive/disk test thing demolito said..

Demolitio

"Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Could be the sensor inside of the drive is going bad and it is not

detecting
> that a disk has been inserted.
>
> "Demolitio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:f28Ce.13005$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > for some reason, my DVD burner sometimes detects dvds/cds, regardless of

> the
> > media, and sometimes it doesn't.what i mean by failing to detect, is

that
> at
> > these times, it doesn't matter if i insert a DVD/CD-ROM, or even a blank
> > DVD+/- R, no autorun message pops up, and when i try to use any burning
> > program, all i am presented with is a "disk not in drive" message,even
> > though it is. i've taken a look at the media i've inserted, no scratches

> or
> > anything anywhere. it even does this with discs right out of the box.
> >
> > i was wondering if anybody has come across that problem, or if anyone

has
> > suggestion to fix it. (sorry guys, i'm trying to be as informing as
> > possible).
> >
> > i have a BenQ burner (cant think of the speeds at the moment, but it is
> > capable of writing on dual layer discs, and can write on both + and -
> > media.), and am useing Windows XP pro.

update: now it will play burned and commerical disks, but it won't detect
blank ones. i've tried 2 different burners,both withthe same result.

Demolitio

"unwashed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dbbdj4$iol$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...

> "Demolitio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:f28Ce.13005$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > for some reason, my DVD burner sometimes detects dvds/cds, regardless of
> > the
> > media, and sometimes it doesn't.what i mean by failing to detect, is

that
> > at
> > these times, it doesn't matter if i insert a DVD/CD-ROM, or even a blank
> > DVD+/- R, no autorun message pops up, and when i try to use any burning
> > program, all i am presented with is a "disk not in drive" message,even
> > though it is. i've taken a look at the media i've inserted, no scratches
> > or
> > anything anywhere. it even does this with discs right out of the box.
> >
> > i was wondering if anybody has come across that problem, or if anyone

has
> > suggestion to fix it. (sorry guys, i'm trying to be as informing as
> > possible).
> >
> > i have a BenQ burner (cant think of the speeds at the moment, but it is
> > capable of writing on dual layer discs, and can write on both + and -
> > media.), and am useing Windows XP pro.
> >

> Just to cover the obvious, but you are ensuring you have
> inserted the disk(s) correctly with apt surface on top etc?
> Has the problem only manifested? Or has this random
> failing to detect always been asssociated with that specified
> drive? - If so I'd suspect a faulty unit?
> Have you tried the problem disks in other drives?
> Is it only a problem with specific Brand media?
> Have you tried the BenQ site for any tips?

i am well aware of how the disks are positioned.... i am quite savvy in most
computer matters.

the problem has just recently manifested, for no reason at all.

i've already tested it useing a completely different drive (i am now using
an LG SuperDrive GSA-4163B), and still i get the same results.

No, i haven't tried the discs in other drives, however, i have tried 4
different brands, of both +R, and -R variety, and the fail to work right out
of the box.

and i haven't found anything relavent on the benQ website regarding this,
although upon searching for it on Google.com, i've noticed alot of people
complaining about this particular problem, without anybody coming to a
solution.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Demolitio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>update: now it will play burned and commerical disks, but it won't detect
|>blank ones. i've tried 2 different burners,both withthe same result.

Could be time to punt, give ForceASPI a try
http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm