Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > puzzling dvd burner problem

puzzling dvd burner problem

Jimmy Dean

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:35:01 -0400, "Demolitio" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>for some reason, my DVD burner sometimes detects dvds/cds, regardless of the
>media, and sometimes it doesn't.what i mean by failing to detect, is that at
>these times, it doesn't matter if i insert a DVD/CD-ROM, or even a blank
>DVD+/- R, no autorun message pops up, and when i try to use any burning
>program, all i am presented with is a "disk not in drive" message,even
>though it is. i've taken a look at the media i've inserted, no scratches or
>anything anywhere. it even does this with discs right out of the box.
>
>i was wondering if anybody has come across that problem, or if anyone has a
>suggestion to fix it. (sorry guys, i'm trying to be as informing as
>possible).
>
>i have a BenQ burner (cant think of the speeds at the moment, but it is
>capable of writing on dual layer discs, and can write on both + and -
>media.), and am useing Windows XP pro.

Sounds like either the drive electronics or laser has an intermittent
fault => junkyard and get a new burner

Fortunately they are cheap nowadays < $100. When I bought my first DVD
burner 2 years ago it was around $600 <sigh>

jd