Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can someone explain this ad.doubleclick.net thing???

Can someone explain this ad.doubleclick.net thing???

Bud Light

When I go to MSN.CA the very first time during the day and click on a link
for a story I want to read I always get the following
"ad.doubleclick.net....." in front of the actual URL that will take me to
the story. Nothing happens and nothing is displayed on the page. After I
click on the BACK browser button to return to the MSN.CA page and click on
the same link again for the story it opens fine because the
"ad.doubleclick.net..." doesn't appear anymore. Is this some type of adware
or spyware? I have adware installed and it doesn't pick anything up.
Thanks.

http://ad.doubleclick.net/adi/symsne...eviews/Content
Posting.aspx?contentid=efcf2d20b010454db520e77e943 8cc70&show=True&number=6&s
howbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc;rtime=7;o rd=1121516555361?

Duane Arnold

Bud Light wrote:

> When I go to MSN.CA the very first time during the day and click on a link
> for a story I want to read I always get the following
> "ad.doubleclick.net....." in front of the actual URL that will take me to
> the story. Nothing happens and nothing is displayed on the page. After I
> click on the BACK browser button to return to the MSN.CA page and click on
> the same link again for the story it opens fine because the
> "ad.doubleclick.net..." doesn't appear anymore. Is this some type of
> adware
> or spyware? I have adware installed and it doesn't pick anything up.
> Thanks.

Your friend is Google.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ck&btnG=Search

Duane

Joel Rubin

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 08:29:05 -0400, "Bud Light"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When I go to MSN.CA the very first time during the day and click on a link
>for a story I want to read I always get the following
>"ad.doubleclick.net....." in front of the actual URL that will take me to
>the story. Nothing happens and nothing is displayed on the page. After I
>click on the BACK browser button to return to the MSN.CA page and click on
>the same link again for the story it opens fine because the
>"ad.doubleclick.net..." doesn't appear anymore. Is this some type of adware
>or spyware? I have adware installed and it doesn't pick anything up.

The Micro$oft Network is trying to open a pop up ad the first time you
go to a link. You've probably got a pop up blocker installed that
stops the pop up from appearing but doesn't let you get to the real
link. Once you've "gone" to the "ad.doubleclick.net" URL you get a
cookie and MSN lets you go straight to the link because "you've
already seen the pop up ad".

Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

In news:(E-Mail Removed), Bud Light
<(E-Mail Removed)> first attempted to communicate with pen, but the
writing was small, so next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away,
and then switched to spray paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so
placed fingers to keyboard for this:

> When I go to MSN.CA the very first time during the day and click on a
> link for a story I want to read I always get the following
> "ad.doubleclick.net....." in front of the actual URL that will take
> me to the story. Nothing happens and nothing is displayed on the
> page. After I click on the BACK browser button to return to the
> MSN.CA page and click on the same link again for the story it opens
> fine because the "ad.doubleclick.net..." doesn't appear anymore. Is
> this some type of adware or spyware? I have adware installed and it
> doesn't pick anything up. Thanks.

MSN (both MSN and MSN.ca) use Doubleclick as a way to sell products and
justify their homepage and stories. What is happening is either a pop-up
blocker is stopping your progress or TeaTimer, an add-on from Spybot. It's
annoying, trust me. But would you rather go to a website that is known to
be nothing but spyware/adware? All you can do is complain to MSN ... but
I've been doing that since '04 and so far no changes.

--
Kyle )

$1-million US dollars to sensfan_luvslisa (at) yahoo (dot) ca. Change the
reply. Money gets faster attention

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Bud Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>When I go to MSN.CA the very first time during the day and click on a link
|>for a story I want to read I always get the following
|>"ad.doubleclick.net....." in front of the actual URL that will take me to
|>the story. Nothing happens and nothing is displayed on the page. After I
|>click on the BACK browser button to return to the MSN.CA page and click on
|>the same link again for the story it opens fine because the
|>"ad.doubleclick.net..." doesn't appear anymore. Is this some type of adware
|>or spyware? I have adware installed and it doesn't pick anything up.
|>Thanks.

Try a HOSTS file, I use Mike's http://tinyurl.com/coye and visiting
the MSN.CA site I don't see doubleclick being accessed.

Good info on a HOSTS file http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

--
68 mph and 124 miles on a tank of air.
http://www.motordeaire.com/ing/UKPressrelease.html#Eng

Bud Light

Thanks to all those who posted helpful comments.

"Bud Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I go to MSN.CA the very first time during the day and click on a link
> for a story I want to read I always get the following
> "ad.doubleclick.net....." in front of the actual URL that will take me to
> the story. Nothing happens and nothing is displayed on the page. After I
> click on the BACK browser button to return to the MSN.CA page and click on
> the same link again for the story it opens fine because the
> "ad.doubleclick.net..." doesn't appear anymore. Is this some type of

adware
> or spyware? I have adware installed and it doesn't pick anything up.
> Thanks.

http://ad.doubleclick.net/adi/symsne...eviews/Content

Posting.aspx?contentid=efcf2d20b010454db520e77e943 8cc70&show=True&number=6&s
> howbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc;rtime=7;o rd=1121516555361?

pcbutts1

Download, install, update and run all of the following.

Ad-Aware

Spybot search and destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)

a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to the group so that
it can be analyzed.

HijackThis

"Bud Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I go to MSN.CA the very first time during the day and click on a link
> for a story I want to read I always get the following
> "ad.doubleclick.net....." in front of the actual URL that will take me to
> the story. Nothing happens and nothing is displayed on the page. After I
> click on the BACK browser button to return to the MSN.CA page and click on
> the same link again for the story it opens fine because the
> "ad.doubleclick.net..." doesn't appear anymore. Is this some type of
> adware
> or spyware? I have adware installed and it doesn't pick anything up.
> Thanks.
>

> http://ad.doubleclick.net/adi/symsne...eviews/Content
> Posting.aspx?contentid=efcf2d20b010454db520e77e943 8cc70&show=True&number=6&s
> howbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc;rtime=7;o rd=1121516555361?

Krull

Download Firefox and the AdBlock extension and add "*doubleclick*" to
the list of banned sites. POOF -- No more ads and faster page loads!